Is Megumi Fujii the Strawweight GOAT?

MgtuAZQ.gif

I don't see how this is possible. It will be a while before we have any GOAT contenders, since having a lot of top female fighters in one spot is a pretty new phenomenon.

This would be like calling Royce Gracie the GOAT

top 5 for sure. I wouldn't put her at one, but I won't get mad at anybody who does have her at one.

Cyborg’s career is as tainted as jones. I’d place Ronda way above Cyborg and I can’t even stand Ronda.

It's cyborg or no one. Say what you want about her cheating or whining but no one is/was capable of beating her. Not right now.

She is a JWMMA GOAT like Fedor is the JMMA GOAT. I would not consider them overall GOATs.

I would say Mega Megu's greatest rival was Yuka Tsuji.

Another great fight we never got to see....which is weird considering all of the rematches we saw back in that era. I'd still go with Miku though...she retired at the top of her game (something like a 10-fight win streak) after avenging all of her losses. (IMO) Miku had a similar level of ability in her ground game to Fuji and Tsuji, but was a way better striker. I guess it depends on when the fight happened. 2004-5; then she probably would have lost to both Fuji and Tsuji. But, 2008 on onward I think Miku beats all comers for a few years. I wish more Japanese fighters would get inspired by these legends and decide to carry the torch.

Jarl

P.S. Valid point, Fight Professor. We have no idea how these legends would hold up against today's SWs. I always think of the Hamasaki vs. Gadhela fight (a beatdown); before that fight Hamasaki looked unbeatable (even submitting Yuka Tsuji), but she just looked small and under-powered in that fight. I think legends like Fujii, Shinashi, Tsuji, Matsumoto were not as versatile as today's fighters and they definitely walked around a weight much closer to their fighting-weight than today's fighters. But, they had a killer instinct (going for finishes constantly) that today's fighters don't have for the most part.

Last edited:
Wmma is too young for a goat or even a great, come back in 10 years when we can look back at the current candidates' careers and we can discuss it.

SUre, but she never failed a test, unlike Cyborg.

That is true. However, unlike bones and spider, cyborg has pissed clean for 5-6 years and has remained equally dominant. I don't think she ever needed PEDs but what's done is done. Many of her haters claim she's still reaping the benefits of roid abuse yet every other fighter that was forced of juice or trt suffered extreme performance drop off (Vitor, Hendo, Lombard etc).

She is kinda like Fedor - had a very long undefeated streak, mostly in Japan, against comparably weaker opposition. I do think she is probably the WMMA GOAT but there is a good argument for either Joanna or Ronda too.

Cyborg is in the Megumi category but is even more untested, with only a few other wins against true competition (Gina Carano, mainly...MAYBE Shayna Baszler although it was a looong time ago, arguably Coenen too but such a huge weight discrepancy there). Her most recent win against Holly was extremely impressive though - a few more wins against high level competition like that and she would be in the running.

Back