DC vs Cruz debate about Stephens knee.

He is correct though. The referee has to call it or it is not illegal. That is why the referee is there. That video was basically four minutes of DC trying to lecture Cruz to his point. I thought Cruz handled himself extremely well actually.
Illegal is illegal even if it’s missed. Getting away with it doesn’t change that.

Whether or not the knee was legal, do you really want your commentators bickering? They weren’t even discussing the knee after a while, just bickering

I can’t stand Cruz as an announcer. He’s too arrogant. He has zero personality and just wants to win an argument

DC is technically correct,

If the fighter is throwing a knee and it grazes the opponent it is technically a foul and the fight should be reset.

However if it doesn’t cause significant damage the fight won’t and shouldn’t be overturned.

Cruz is a fucking retard saying it’s not illegal because the ref missed it. He’s encouraging other fighters to throw illegal strikes if they know/think the ref can’t see it. It shouldn’t be overturned as it was extremely close but to make that kind of statement is ridiculous. He even laughed when they showed the wrong replay first thinking it was proving him right.

He's saying the knee wasn't illegal because the ref saw the knee and still decided it wasn't illegal.

Illegal is illegal even if it’s missed. Getting away with it doesn’t change that.

I’d disagree in that the contact makes it illegal not the intent.

Like if a fighter attempts to strike his opponent in the groin but hits the inner thigh its a legal strike. Same with the knee to a grounded opponent, it is only illegal if it connects.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If a illegal knee doesn't land, is it still illegal?

<seedat>
<TheWire1>

Such wisdom by our Shookologist who again ends the debate in spetecular fashion

I agree, but that's not a great reason either lol
No but it’s a tough call to change which means it can’t be changed. Even if it went to a NC the next matchups would be Stephens getting pushed forward and Emmett getting someone ranked in the 5-10 spots.

So no part of Stephens knee grazed the top of Emmett's head?

I'm either blind or I have some unknown deep rooted affection for Emmett that is clouding my judgement.

I’d disagree in that the contact makes it illegal not the intent.

Like if a fighter attempts to strike his opponent in the groin but hits the inner thigh its a legal strike. Same with the knee to a grounded opponent, it is only illegal if it connects.
I meant missed by the ref not just an attempted illegal knee.

It never landed and the referee never said anything. It’s a stupid debate. Which was basically Dominic’s point. DC seem to have a huge problem with basically a non-issue.

He's saying the knee wasn't illegal because the ref saw the knee and still decided it wasn't illegal.
It happened pretty fast and it’s easy to miss something that’s right in front of you when the action gets intense. That argument only works if the refs never make mistakes. This is big Dan we’re talking about hes eyepoked a fighter in the moments before a fight started so he’s not exactly perfect in there.

after making this gif, ive decided it did land. not full on, but it did bounce off his head

its enough to file a protest....

if u really wanna get technical, it landed twice

tsAkZge.gif

The reason the fight ended was because of the initial punch, not the missed knee.
I get your point but not the initial punch really but the following blows, Jeremy got dropped too but Emmett didn't followup like Stephens did

it clearly landed on the way up. anyone saying otherwise is retarded.
It's not even fair to say that it didnt hurt emmet. We've seen plenty of grazing shots KO people, and this is the KNEE too, the last thing youd want to be hit with.

Props to DC for not staying quiet about it.

It never landed and the referee never said anything. It’s a stupid debate. Which was basically Dominic’s point. DC seem to have a huge problem with basically a non-issue.
It’s not a stupid debate as it was borderline but if you’ve read anything else I’ve posted in this thread you’ll see I think the decision should stand.

Lol Cruz "it didn't hit" "the ref didn't call it" "whats the point of this conversation?" in 4 mins
Lol indeed.

"The ref didn't call it so its not illegal"

Umm wot m8?

Watch the replay from behind emett, the knee clearly made contact with Emett's head both on the initial movement and the way down. A graze is still a strike landing although slight.

The reason why it is an issue is because its an intentional,blatant disregard for the rules.

I'm not sure if its grounds for a no-contest ruling though can't view the unified rules for some reason, i think the rules say that if an illegal strike causes a KO or TKO then it will be overturned. That would be very hard to argue in this circumstance.

Last edited:
Lol the knee does not hit hit his head so what is illegal?

Back