Warhammer: Vermintide 2

Fingers crossed and butt cheeks clenched, I really hope launch goes smooth and Fatshark doesn't have to wipe pre-order beta progress.

I don't think they'll have to do that.

Not fair to everyone else not cheating.

Doesn't change much anyway. The gear doesn't make you good at the game.

Level 26 Kerillian and I play the base class the most because lol group hp regen.

Trying to play some of the other side classes more specifically handmaiden.
they need to do something about handmaiden and shade, there is no real reason to pick them over waystalker

but that repeater crossbow tho damn that burst dmg is sick, too bad you cant carry much ammo

I played the first one a few times, I was playing with ransoms tho and it was pretty clear none of us knew what we were doing lol we got our asses handed to us.

I liked the concept, but i feel like it's a game meant to play with your friends.

What are some of the notable differences between the new one and the first one?

they need to do something about handmaiden and shade, there is no real reason to pick them over waystalker

but that repeater crossbow tho damn that burst dmg is sick, too bad you cant carry much ammo

Handmaiden and Shade aren't bad.. it's just group HP regen is too good. Even self HP regen is too good. Just healing herself means the rest of the team gets more meds to share.

Handmaiden can actually be a pretty awesome frontline fighter with the right gear and perks. They can easily melee tank entire hordes solo. She also has the fastest special cooldown in the game, which can get even faster with items and a perk. You can use the skill to really increase your mobility, it staggers enemies to save your buddies, and you can time the release of a power attack for long range death, but that's much more skillful and hard to do.

Shade has some problems though, have to admit. Kruber and Salt are both better at DPS. Insta-kill from behind sounds nice, but that's easier said than done. The only time it may be useful is against Chaos warriors, but even then it's pretty situational. There just aren't many enemies that die so slowly fighting them face first that it's worth the risk to try and get around them. The ones you can flank, the bosses, aren't effected by her special and Kruber can absolutely annihilate them in 3 seconds.

The crossbow could really use another clip of bolts or she needs a perk for more ammo. It's just not much use when you can blow through the ammo in one encounter. The cooldown on her special is also very long so it's better used as an oh shit button to get out of a bad spot rather then a tool to flank enemies.

Last edited:
I played the first one a few times, I was playing with ransoms tho and it was pretty clear none of us knew what we were doing lol we got our asses handed to us.

I liked the concept, but i feel like it's a game meant to play with your friends.

What are some of the notable differences between the new one and the first one?

The two biggest changes is that they added another enemy faction, Chaos, which added a lot more units to face which makes the matches a lot more diverse.

The other big change is they really changed the progression system. Each character has 3 classes with their own perk tree and you can play many different ways with the 5 different characters.

So you have 15 different classes each of which can play a little bit differently based on the perks and gear you select.

I am loving the original Vermintide right now, since seeing the trailer for V2 got me stoked enough to reinstall the OG on my xbox and play some. It is actually so much frigging fun. I just wish the Player Base was bigger, but I guess V1 I kinda old for a lot of people at this point. I am really looking forward to V2 on Xbox.

After playing V1 again, it totally just cements my thoughts on how sorely the WH40K universe is missing out on a great opportunity by not making a Horde-mode game with space marines and tyranids. I remember years ago, saying that they could use the Left 4 Dead engine and almost just do a skin swap on the characters in another thread. Frig it would be awesome.

Handmaiden and Shade aren't bad.. it's just group HP regen is too good. Even self HP regen is too good. Just healing herself means the rest of the team gets more meds to share.

Handmaiden can actually be a pretty awesome frontline fighter with the right gear and perks. They can easily melee tank entire hordes solo.

Shade has some problems though, have to admit. Kruber and Salt are both better at DPS. Insta-kill from behind sounds nice, but that's easier said than done. The only time it may be useful is against Chaos warriors, but even then it's pretty situational. There just aren't many enemies that die so slowly fighting them face first that it's worth the risk to try and get around them. The ones you can flank, the bosses, aren't effected by her special and Kruber can absolutely annihilate them in 3 seconds.

The crossbow could really use another clip of bolts or she needs a perk for more ammo. It's just not much use when you can blow through the ammo in one encounter. The cooldown on her special is also very long so it's better used as an oh shit button to get out of a bad spot rather then a tool to flank enemies.
maybe i just need to adjust the way i play as handmaiden but that dodge increase is a joke atm also im only rank 12 atm so i guess the class shines later when you have more talents to choose from and gear as you said

i agree about shade, currently it seems its too situational to pick over the other two but it fits my playstyle of hitting hard and getting out

The two biggest changes is that they added another enemy faction, Chaos, which added a lot more units to face which makes the matches a lot more diverse.

The other big change is they really changed the progression system. Each character has 3 classes with their own perk tree and you can play many different ways with the 5 different characters.

So you have 15 different classes each of which can play a little bit differently based on the perks and gear you select.

Thanks for the info! Adding more classes to a game is always a good thing

maybe i just need to adjust the way i play as handmaiden but that dodge increase is a joke atm also im only rank 12 atm so i guess the class shines later when you have more talents to choose from and gear as you said

i agree about shade, currently it seems its too situational to pick over the other two but it fits my playstyle of hitting hard and getting out

Actually the perk you need for her is the first tier, increased block and push range. The tier 3 perks also helps. The decreased cooldown at level 25 really helps too, though, but aren't necessary.

Her special is the stamina regen that most people don't really notice. You can really spam blocks and pushes. It also helps the whole group and makes your shield allies almost unkillable.

With her increased block range perk you block 234 degrees around you with a spear and the block counter attack with spear is insane good. The extra dodge helps staying out of range and charging power strikes. The spear has such incredible range you have great battlefield mobility with the extra dodge, the charge attacks, and the special dash.

I like to dodge and charge attacks way out of range and then dart in for strikes aimed at the head. You really need to go for head attacks with both power strikes. The spear is great because you have two options for your power attacks. The swipe is great for mobs, and the stab for armored units. Also using the special to dash around to help allies getting crowded or are downed. Her special staggers any enemy you pass through so it's great for saving your friends.

That's her other main strength which is much less situational than Shade. Her revives can't be broken by regular attacks. No matter how many enemies are pounding away if you special in a mob and block revive your buddy only large monsters can stop you like a Rat Ogre.

Last edited:
I am loving the original Vermintide right now, since seeing the trailer for V2 got me stoked enough to reinstall the OG on my xbox and play some. It is actually so much frigging fun. I just wish the Player Base was bigger, but I guess V1 I kinda old for a lot of people at this point. I am really looking forward to V2 on Xbox.

After playing V1 again, it totally just cements my thoughts on how sorely the WH40K universe is missing out on a great opportunity by not making a Horde-mode game with space marines and tyranids. I remember years ago, saying that they could use the Left 4 Dead engine and almost just do a skin swap on the characters in another thread. Frig it would be awesome.

Well, they made that deathwing game.

I never tried it though.

Actually the perk you need for her is the first tier, increased block and push range. The tier 3 perks also helps. The decreased cooldown at level 25 really helps too, though, but aren't necessary.

Her special is the stamina regen that most people don't really notice. You can really spam blocks and pushes. It also helps the whole group and makes your shield allies almost unkillable.

With her increased block range perk you block 234 degrees around you with a spear and the block counter attack with spear is insane good. The extra dodge helps staying out of range and charging power strikes. The spear has such incredible range you have great battlefield mobility with the extra dodge, the charge attacks, and the special dash.

I like to dodge and charge attacks way out of range and then dart in for strikes aimed at the head. You really need to go for head attacks with both power strikes. The spear is great because you have to options for your power attacks. The swipe is great for mobs, and the stab for armored units. Also using the special to dash around to help allies getting crowded or are downed. Her special staggers any enemy you pass through so it's great for saving your friends.

That's her other main strength which is much less situational than Shade. Her revives can't be broken by regular attacks. No matter how many enemies are pounding away if you special in a mob and block revive your buddy only large monsters can stop you like a Rat Ogre.
you are selling me on this, will have to play handmaiden more often

granted im no vermintide vet so i have lots to learn

With her increased block range perk you block 234 degrees around you with a spear and the block counter attack with spear is insane good.

Want to elaborate on this as I understand it. In Vermintide, 1 and 2, when you block it's in a full 360'. The caveat is that if you take a hit from a certain angle you lose much more stamina as opposed to a hit from the front. Increasing your block range makes your "front" angle wider.

Want to elaborate on this as I understand it. In Vermintide, 1 and 2, when you block it's in a full 360'. The caveat is that if you take a hit from a certain angle you lose much more stamina as opposed to a hit from the front. Increasing your block range makes your "front" angle wider.

Correct, so what I'm saying is with the extra 30% a spear blocks 234 degrees at regular stamina cost instead of just 180. Normally it would cost more and you wouldn't be able to block very long when getting hit beyond the weapon's base range. It also effects your push angle so you're going to be putting way more enemies on their ass with stagger when you push.

For handmaiden getting plus stamina and plus attack speed are probably the best properties. Become a wall of steel and stamina. Endlessly block pushing block attacking hordes without ever getting tired.

You can also get others that increase block angle more, but I'm not sure if they actually stack and you can get a full 360 block at regular stamina.

There are also properties that decrease block cost, but I'm not sure if they're worth it because her stamina already regens to full pretty fast with her stamina regen buff. I can block attack down to 0 stamina let off a charge attack and then have full stamina already when I need more block attacks.

Eagerly awaiting the full unlock! I've been playing as the ironbreaker dwarf, currently level 11. The Drake fire pistols are ridiculously satisfying.

I've just been playing with randoms, so let me know if anyone wants to squad up.

should i still save my commendation chests until max lvl or did they change it?

I'd still save them to around 200ish power level to get the most out of them since they're 300 cap boxes. I used most of mine last night to give me the last push I need to get over 200 power level.

I think they're good to save also for leveling other characters so I'm keeping a small reserve for when I feel like playing a new one. You also keep leveling up past level 30 and you get chests each time still.

But so far I don't think you can actually pull red items out of them.

It's really a trade off between how efficient you want to be with looting and how fast you want to get through your power level.

I'd still save them to around 200ish power level to get the most out of them since they're 300 cap boxes. I used most of mine last night to give me the last push I need to get over 200 power level.

I think they're good to save also for leveling other characters so I'm keeping a small reserve for when I feel like playing a new one. You also keep leveling up past level 30 and you get chests each time still.

But so far I don't think you can actually pull red items out of them.

It's really a trade off between how efficient you want to be with looting and how fast you want to get through your power level.

I've been splitting the difference and opening 2/5, I want my Waywatcher twinked out when I enter Champion. Spending the weekend at my parents so I can't play or I'd hit 30 tomorrow, I have almost no complaints so far, other than maybe...

-Mini-Boss difficulty seemed a little off. Some are absolute killers, some are pretty easy.
-A lot of stuff needs to be explained better. My buddy bought the game to play wit my group and he has a lot of questions regarding items and stats I feel need tooltips.
-Some classes need some love. I don't like nerfing characters in a PVE game, but some buffs would be nice.
I feel like Champion is going to be a little easier than Cata was, but we'll see. The Chaos forces really bring a wrinkle in, I could dance around rats forever in 1. The Spear and I have a budding relationship that I think might go places.

Back