Gal Gadot reprimanded by the disabled over kind words for Stephen Hawking

Is that really all it's about though, society not being set up for them? Deaf people wouldn't prefer to be able to enjoy music or hear people actually speak during movies? The blind wouldn't prefer to see instead of feel ing their way around the world? Those in wheel chairs wouldn't prefer to be able to stand, walk, run and jump?

Well, no, it's not. That was sort of the 90s attitude within the disability movement, called the 'social model,' which was somewhat of an extreme response to the model that came before it. Originally, people were disabled. The problem was the people. In this model, society was what was wrong. The problem was society. But exactly what you're talking about is why it has come back. Because where medical treatments can remove disabilities, the vast majority of people with disabilities would like access to those treatments. Some people still prefer that social model, but it's not the 'mainstream' of the disability rights movement anymore, so to speak. Today, it's more practical. Yes, it's still important to people that we acknowledge that the disability is not entirely the person, but it's not entirely the society either. And you can't necessarily pull them apart and say it's whatever percent this or that. It's about the interaction between the two, and pursuing whatever solution is most practical to allow them to participate as fully as possible in society, and to prevent that disability, be it theirs, society's, or both, from imposing any more burden than is necessary.

I think what most people still would find offensive is the idea that the person is defective, and the society they live in has nothing to do with it. Anything in the middle is a dialogue most people can work with.

Well, no, it's not. That was sort of the 90s attitude within the disability movement, called the 'social model,' which was somewhat of an extreme response to the model that came before it. Originally, people were disabled. The problem was the people. In this model, society was what was wrong. The problem was society. But exactly what you're talking about is why it has come back. Because where medical treatments can remove disabilities, the vast majority of people with disabilities would like access to those treatments. Some people still prefer that social model, but it's not the 'mainstream' of the disability rights movement anymore, so to speak. Today, it's more practical. Yes, it's still important to people that we acknowledge that the disability is not entirely the person, but it's not entirely the society either. And you can't necessarily pull them apart and say it's whatever percent this or that. It's about the interaction between the two, and pursuing whatever solution is most practical to allow them to participate as fully as possible in society, and to prevent that disability, be it theirs, society's, or both, from imposing any more burden than is necessary.

I think what most people still would find offensive is the idea that the person is defective, and the society they live in has nothing to do with it. Anything in the middle is a dialogue most people can work with.

Indeed.

I guess for me the point at which I'd get really skeptical is when someone starts trying to convince me that they'd rather have less ability than more. I couldn't help but think they're trying to convince themselves of that more than they're trying to convince me.

i wonder if hawking would give up a quarter of his IQ if he could walk again and have normal body function?

What's next? A sports commentator says to an athlete "good luck out there today" and gets admonished for trying to suggest the athlete hasn't worked hard enough and is relying on luck?

This stupid shit is one of the reason why I no longer consider myself on the left.

I know people who are disabled who would be glad not to be, to suggest that it isn't something you have to put up with is nonsense. You could say the same thing about just shedding the mortal coil full stop and it is a common sentiment in Christianity. Death is a cessation of pain, you go to a better place.

People are turing retarded right before my eyes.

But I know the base of this type of BS. Many people of science don't believe in an afterlife so anything related to that makes them butthurt.

For them everything is about the here and now... even if one is disabled.

Able Normative Supremacy?

Baseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

0gifbaseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

Do these people know they are being anti semetic?

I feel for disabled people, especially people with severe disabilities, but can we not all agree that being able bodied is objectively better than being disabled? I don't think recognizing this fact is in any way discriminatory. Quite the contrary really.

The thing is, she's not stating that he'd be better off dead. When someone passes, people frequently express the sentiment that they are free of whatever burdened or limited them or caused them pain in life. At least this guy who was wrongfully convicted isn't in prison anymore. At least this woman with bone cancer isn't suffering anymore.

I understand that everyone needs to find a way to get through life with whatever mountains and burdens and challenges lay ahead of them. But there's a difference between "you are free of constraint X" and "you're better off dead." If someone believes in heaven, then they probably believe Dr. Hawking isn't traversing it in a wheelchair.
I see what you're saying, there should be perhaps a little more understanding here from the general public and Gadot could've worded it better.

What's odd to me is that she and others assume he's going to heaven when he was an atheist, pretty sure most scripture say those guys go somewhere else...

I feel for disabled people, especially people with severe disabilities, but can we not all agree that being able bodied is objectively better than being disabled? I don't think recognizing this fact is in any way discriminatory. Quite the contrary really.
I think the disabled feel that "being able bodied is objectively better than being disabled" suggests or can lead to "able bodied people are better than disabled people".

I don't think that's your intention or that of others but that seems to be the objection to talking about disability in this way.

What's odd to me is that she and others assume he's going to heaven when he was an atheist, pretty sure most scripture say those guys go somewhere else...

Not every who believes in an afterlife is a Christian. And not even all Christians think that atheists are necessarily going to hell.

Not every who believes in an afterlife is a Christian. And not even all Christians think that atheists are necessarily going to hell.
Gal Gadot is Jewish and I can't imagine the Torah and Talmud have much good to say about atheists.

Also I didn't say all Christians(or Jews or Muslims) believe that atheists are going to hell, just that their scripture does.

Back