Gal Gadot reprimanded by the disabled over kind words for Stephen Hawking

Well I'M not offended, but I can absolutely see their point.

It's one of those things where you can interpret something to mean all sorts of things, and if a tweet is read by a hundred thousand people then there may be some that will interpret in a negative way. Not much anyone can do about that if they want to be sincere.

It seems to be that people are taking personally something that was said about Stephen Hawking. It was a comment about Stephen Hawking, not a comment about that person.

I think it would be very difficult to think of Stephen Hawking without thinking of his disease. Can the two really be separated?

And it's not like all of Gal's tweet was about his disease. She also said that his "brilliance and wisdom" will be missed.

But you know what is the most unbelievable to me about this? It's that disabled people themselves aren't also thinking, "Fuck yeah, Stephen! Finally out of that fucking chair!" You're telling me THEY aren't thinking that shit?
Of course disabled people are going to take it personally.
Why wouldn't they??? Hawkins disability was used in her statement. That was the part of her statement they had issue with

You can THINK whatever you want. Of course no one is going to forget that Hawkins was a disabled dude. No one is asking people to, but is there a reason to point out the obvious? Especially when he has so many other accomplishments to talk about?

What you THINK and what you SAY are 2 separate things .
If you say something outloud on a public forum, you can't go get shocked and butthurt when people take offense to it.
Granted, there are people today that look to be offended, but it really shouldn't be difficult to see why a disabled person would not be fond of Gal's statement.

You're also taking a religious outlook on this. An atheist, or maybe even an agnostic isn't going to be thinking Hawkins is better off.
Again, despite best intentions, it's pretty selfish and insensitive to make these comments without thinking about the audience.
If I'm an atheist, and my mom dies, and someone comes up tome and tells me "your mom is in a better place", despite their well intent, it's a pretty shite thing to say to someone that doesn't have that belief.

Woke up this morning and saw this on my news feed. Proof that people really will eagerly seek out every reason to complain.

And I'll just end with these paragraphs from the same article:

Is it wrong that I sat here dumbstruck by the fact that someone used the phrase "Able Normative Supremacy" in an un-ironic way?

Are those people chastizing her have dissabilities? Even so if they took offense looks like they have mental dissabilities too.

She should tell them to fuck off.

Not surprising.

The far right bottomed out a long time ago. The far left is racing towards the bottom. What a joke. Fuck everyone.

Of course disabled people are going to take it personally.
Why wouldn't they???

Why the fuck you gonna take personally something I said about someone else?

You can THINK whatever you want. Of course no one is going to forget that Hawkins was a disabled dude. No one is asking people to, but is there a reason to point out the obvious? Especially when he has so many other accomplishments to talk about?

I suspect we all feel a bit of relief for him. It really never occurred to me that it might be anything other than kind to say so.

Granted, there are people today that look to be offended, but it really shouldn't be difficult to see why a disabled person would not be fond of Gal's statement.

I can understand why someone might not want Hawking "reduced to his disability," and I guess if I thought that Gal was in any way doing that then I'd agree. I am just amazed that anyone took it that way.

You're also taking a religious outlook on this. An atheist, or maybe even an agnostic isn't going to be thinking Hawkins is better off.
Again, despite best intentions, it's pretty selfish and insensitive to make these comments without thinking about the audience.
If I'm an atheist, and my mom dies, and someone comes up tome and tells me "your mom is in a better place", despite their well intent, it's a pretty shite thing to say to someone that doesn't have that belief.

It's hard for me to believe that someone would take offense to someone else saying that their loved one is actually off somewhere having a good time and NOT rotting in the ground. Even if they didn't believe it, I'd assume they'd at least consider that to be a nice thought.

But in any case, what I think should be important here is what GAL'S outlook is. If she is coming from religious/spiritual standpoint, then that informs how we should understand and interpret her comment.

Are those people chastizing her have dissabilities? Even so if they took offense looks like they have mental dissabilities too.

She should tell them to fuck off.

They seem to be.

But here's the weird thing, one of the girls is named Ace Ratcliff. I looked her up solely because she seemed like she might be kind of cute in her little Twitter profile pic.

Run a Google Image search on her and you'll see some pics where she's in a wheelchair:

19247885_1160776967360885_8934098215397737011_n.jpg

And then several pics of her where she's just standing up like a normal person:

C7eTUhNW0AEtPja.jpg

So I'm trying to figure out . . . just how fucking disabled is this girl really? And what exactly is this disability?

I hope to hell she's not some weird disability groupie or something.

She needs to be reprimanded for her part in the abomination that was Justice League.

As being disabled is no longer a disability I have cancelled all my donations charities that help the disabled because I don't want to be an ableist.

I'm not sure how many people think that. There are probably able-bodied people who think that disabled people are less capable than able-bodied people for many tasks, which is literally true.

There's a lot of shit that able-bodied people can do that disabled people cannot, and it doesn't really work the other way around. Are we really supposed to be shamed for recognizing something that is obvious to everyone?
In the case of Stephen Hawkings it definitely does work the other way around.
I think finding offense in that tweet paying him respects is reaching.

But besides the tweet, Hawking was known for two things, that primarily he was a great public intellect, and secondarily that he had that condition while having such a great intellect and public presence. Some would say that was a great misfortune that he was afflicted by that but it was something that defined his larger than life persona in the public eye. His computerized voice became somewhat iconic.
In a way that's what these folks are getting at here. It was part of who he was and he likely came to terms with it well before his death. Instead of showing pity to such a great soul, simply honor his life and work.
They seem to be.

But here's the weird thing, one of the girls is named Ace Ratcliff. I looked her up solely because she seemed like she might be kind of cute in her little Twitter profile pic.

Run a Google Image search on her and you'll see some pics where she's in a wheelchair:

19247885_1160776967360885_8934098215397737011_n.jpg

And then several pics of her where she's just standing up like a normal person:

C7eTUhNW0AEtPja.jpg

So I'm trying to figure out . . . just how fucking disabled is this girl really? And what exactly is this disability?

I hope to hell she's not some weird disability groupie or something.
Just because you're in a wheelchair some of the time doesn't mean you need it all the time. FDR needed a wheel chair later in life but for a long time still attempted to walk whit a cane so as not to reveal the extent of his disability.

People on twitter look for stuff to complain about.

Posters on sherdog look on twitter for stuff to complain about.

Posters on sherdog are complaining about people complaining.

End result: nothing but complainers.

Do those of us here on sherdog who don't bother with twitter a favor, and stop pretending like a handful of tweets is worth talking about. Beyond being completely counter-intuitive, it's just lame as shit.

In the case of Stephen Hawkings it definitely does work the other way around.

Stephen Hawking would've still had his mind even if his body had been whole.

He didn't have his amazing intellect because his body was in shambles.

Just because you're in a wheelchair some of the time doesn't mean you need it all the time. FDR needed a wheel chair later in life but for a long time still attempted to walk whit a cane so as not to reveal the extent of his disability.

I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen Hawking would've still had his mind even if his body had been whole.

He didn't have his amazing intellect because his body was in shambles.
Right but as a disabled person he could do things most able bodied people can't, wouldn't you agree?
Great, so you should know that needing a wheelchair some of the time doens't mean you need it all the time.

Why the fuck you gonna take personally something I said about someone else?

I suspect we all feel a bit of relief for him. It really never occurred to me that it might be anything other than kind to say so.

I can understand why someone might not want Hawking "reduced to his disability," and I guess if I thought that Gal was in any way doing that then I'd agree. I am just amazed that anyone took it that way.

It's hard for me to believe that someone would take offense to someone else saying that their loved one is actually off somewhere having a good time and NOT rotting in the ground. Even if they didn't believe it, I'd assume they'd at least consider that to be a nice thought.

But in any case, what I think should be important here is what GAL'S outlook is. If she is coming from religious/spiritual standpoint, then that informs how we should understand and interpret her comment.
Because you weren't talking about the person in terms of only their individualality. If you use their race, their gender, their background, their disabilities,etc, then obviously you're going to draw comments from other people in that group.

Again, despite best intentions, it's selfish, and kind of cunty if youre really thinking about someone besides yourself.
If my mom died and i don't believe in an afterlife, how does you telling me my mom is in a better place make ME feel better? It makes YOU feel better. It gives you something to say to break the awkward silence, and it helps YOU reinforce your own beliefs of the afterlife, but telling ME my mom is in a fairy tale land that i don't believe in does not make ME feel better.
I won't curse you out because i know you meant no harm, but what you said is insensitive if you know im not a Christian. There are other ways to express your condolences. You seem to be saying i should just be happy that you decided to say any nice words to me at all

Gal meant well, Im sure. But you cannot fault people for not liking her comment despite her intents. It's selfish and lazy.
The correct path here is not to be " oh fucking SJW and their ableist bullshit.." , you can respect their stance , apologize for the misinterpretation and move on. Belittling them as if they have no valid point is childish and lazy.
Some disabled people will take the comment for the nice gesture it was meant as, and others can say how they really feel about it--i don't believe either approach is wrong. It wasn't like people were calling Gal a bigot or something.

It is a mistake to look at twitter "outrage" as the total true feelings one has on a matter. You have 140 characters to say what you want.
Im sure if you actually had a long form discussion with these people that they would be able to acknowledge that Gal meant well, and that that still doesn't change their feelings on the offensiveness of her comments towards them

Right but as a disabled person he could do things most able bodied people can't, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, but it's not that he could do those things BECAUSE he was disabled. He just happened to be disabled and really smart at the same time.

Being super-smart is not a unique trait to people with ALS. But being able to run is a unique trait to people with functioning legs.

Great, so you should know that needing a wheelchair some of the time doens't mean you need it all the time.

I didn't say she wasn't disabled. I just asked what kind of disability does she have exactly.

Again, despite best intentions, it's selfish, and kind of cunty if youre really thinking about someone besides yourself.
If my mom died and i don't believe in an afterlife, how does you telling me my mom is in a better place make ME feel better? It makes YOU feel better. It gives you something to say to break the awkward silence, and it helps YOU reinforce your own beliefs of the afterlife, but telling ME my mom is in a fairy tale land that i don't believe in does not make ME feel better.
I won't curse you out because i know you meant no harm, but what you said is insensitive if you know im not a Christian. There are other ways to express your condolences. You seem to be saying i should just be happy that you decided to say any nice words to me at all

I had a friend once whose dog died. He was very close to that dog. Loved the motherfucker more than he loved his own brother.

He and I had discussed religion/spirituality many times. I knew that he had no religious belief, but when his dog died, I told him that I thought it was possible that animals have a soul or spirit of some kind, and that people who have reported near-death experiences have said that they were reunited with their dead pets. And so I thought it just might be possible that that dog was off somewhere having the time of his life and that one day my friend would see him again.

He didn't get mad that I told him this. Instead he said it made him feel better and on that day he was certainly more receptive to the possibility than he normally would've been.

Gal meant well, Im sure. But you cannot fault people for not liking her comment despite her intents. It's selfish and lazy.

Well YOU mean well right now, I'm sure. But no, you're just not going to get me on board with calling Gal's comment "selfish" or "lazy" or any of that bullshit. I thought it was kind and heartwarming and human. And it made a lot of sense. I think that to try to portray it as anything else is wrong.

Don't take something good and twist it into something bad. That is just not fair to her.

I had a friend once whose dog died. He was very close to that dog. Loved the motherfucker more than he loved his own brother.

He and I had discussed religion/spirituality many times. I knew that he had no religious belief, but when his dog died, I told him that I thought it was possible that animals have a soul or spirit of some kind, and that people who have reported near-death experiences have said that they were reunited with their dead pets. And so I thought it just might be possible that that dog was off somewhere having the time of his life and that one day my friend would see him again.

He didn't get mad that I told him this. Instead he said it made him feel better and on that day he was certainly more receptive to the possibility than he normally would've been.

Well YOU mean well right now, I'm sure. But no, you're just not going to get me on board with calling Gal's comment "selfish" or "lazy" or any of that bullshit. I thought it was kind and heartwarming and human. And it made a lot of sense. I think that to try to portray it as anything else is wrong.

Don't take something good and twist it into something bad. That is just not fair to her.

That's cool. And im not saying it's an across the board thing here. Some people will be cool with it, others wont, and most will be in the middle--they'll smile, nod, say thanks, and move on. It is unlikely that someone, especially a friend would chew your head off for saying something you obviously meant as comfort.

I believe you misunderstood me. Gal's comments weren't selfish and lazy.
The defense of them in this thread are. Instead of actually trying to understand why people with disabilities are upset, people are just like "SJW...complain about everything ..they should just be happy with the shit i said, i meant well"
Okay, cool. Those are YOUR feelings and take on the issue. Are you not curious to see what someone that is ACTUALLY living with a similar debilitating disability as Hawkins feels or thinks?

That's cool. And im not saying it's an across the board thing here. Some people will be cool with it, others wont, and most will be in the middle--they'll smile, nod, say thanks, and move on. It is unlikely that someone, especially a friend would chew your head off for saying something you obviously meant as comfort.

The way that I see it is that going off to some kind of positive post-mortem existence is a best case scenario. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. I don't understand why someone would get upset about the mere HOPE of such a thing.

I'm sure there's SOMEBODY out there who would rather just have the lights shut off for good, but I would have to think those people are a tiny minority.

I believe you misunderstood me. Gal's comments weren't selfish and lazy.
The defense of them in this thread are. Instead of actually trying to understand why people with disabilities are upset, people are just like "SJW...complain about everything ..they should just be happy with the shit i said, i meant well"
Okay, cool. Those are YOUR feelings and take on the issue. Are you not curious to see what someone that is ACTUALLY living with a similar debilitating disability as Hawkins feels or thinks?

One thing we haven't stopped to consider is what Hawking himself might think of the tweet (or perhaps DOES think, continuing on with our line of thought that he may still be out there somewhere, just in spirit form). Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a hard time believing it wouldn't sit well with him.

I did say earlier that I could understand why someone might get upset if Gal was doing nothing but reducing him to his disability, but her line about missing his "brilliance and wisdom" seems to me like it should ally any such concerns. So if you were say that we shouldn't ONLY talk about his battle with ALS, then I'd agree with you. But basically you're saying we shouldn't mention it at all, and that just doesn't make sense to me, and it doesn't make sense that other disabled people would even want that. It was a huge part of his life.

We should totally use this moment where disability activism looked a little silly by yelling at wonder woman for an "RIP" tweet to scapegoat all activism forever and forever 100 years

We should totally use this moment where disability activism looked a little silly by yelling at wonder woman for an "RIP" tweet to scapegoat all activism forever and forever 100 years

I'm not sure anyone's doing that.

Back