Cambridge Analytica, Psychometrics, Russia, and the Trump Campaign

Trumpworld! It's tremendous, let me tell you. And it's going to be so easy.
Hillary was a war monger!

we're gonna win SO big
giphy.webp

this is nonsensical.

facebook is simply an expansion of social interaction. so what you're saying would almost be as stupid as saying "if youre dumb enough to vote based on what you heard from other people's opinions..." everyone does that to some degree, and facebook even has the added persuasion of official sounding sources and catchy memes. to act as if this stuff doesnt influence most people, and even yourself, is silly.

Wrong.

Seriously, they will take a 22 second funny clip and make a 12 minute long video.

Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!!!
He looks like he's about to burst out in tears too, constantly. Something about him rubs me off the wrong way. He looks like he's on craigslist looking for twinks.

Wylie testified to british parlament and this thing came up:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...b077204c39ec27#block-5aba2408e4b077204c39ec27

Wylie says, if you can create a pyschological profile of someone more prone to certain idea, conspiracy theories, for example, you can then create a data profile for them. And you can then target them with advertising.

They might then wonder why the mainstream media is not reporting what they are seeing. For example, they might wonder why the MSM is not reporting Obama moving troops to Texas as a precursor to trying to serve a third term.

Q: Was that a tactic that was used?

Yes, says Wylie.

Could this be referring to that Jade Helm conspiracy that was going around? Are these fuckers responsible for that as well?

hi Last Samurai,

once everything comes out you'll see things differently.

we cannot allow military style propaganda which is able to identify and target the subconscious fears of each individual. this is brainwashing.

i don't quite know what you mean by "military style propaganda". are you talking about what the CIA does to destabilize fledgling governments that we're unfavorably inclined towards?

no matter how the data was obtained, this needs to stop. but to make matters worse, it appears much of their data was obtained illegally, so people will go to jail.

I'm not going to spell it all out, you'll have to read the thread.

i am unclear why "it needs to stop". as long as you have PR and advertising firms helping to man the campaigns of our elected officials, you're going to have data analytics and subliminal messaging being put to use.

its worked for Marlboro, its worked for Coke, and it worked for the Obama campaign.

- IGIT

Last edited:
ahoy Jopious,

This isn't a sign of that at all. There's direct evidence a firm working for Trump's campaign did something incredibly wrong to influence the election. Governments all over the world are pissed about how they got the data. But the house republicans aren't? Why?

its not a left or right thing, though. the "wild west" aspect of the storing, culling and sale of activities online are less regulated than what you've got in Europe.

that's just the way things are. up 'til now, the Democrats haven't exactly been cracking down on Google and Facebook for these kinds of activities.

It's not because they think people are unfairly out to get them, it's because they know the people out to get them have legitimate reasons to be doing so. And they're trying to stand in the way of it in any way they can. Regardless of what crimes were possibly committed.

i am not a fan of the Trump administration.

i wanted to get that out of the way.

but try and look at it from their perspective;

all is sunny on the economic front. the market continues to soar. Donald is now taking it to China with sanctions....he did indeed get very tough in illegal immigrations. under Scott Pruitt, the EPA is getting dismantled - as Mr. Trump promised.

plus, as a bonus, Mr. Trump continues to say things that enrage liberals.

from the Trump supporter's perspective, all is well and they feel salty about all the negative press from the "lamestream" media, which is out to get them.

i'm not saying i agree with their pov, but i figure this is probably how they see things.

- IGIT

hi Last Samurai,

i don't quite know what you mean by "military style propaganda". are you talking about what the CIA does to destabilize fledgling governments that?

yes

i am unclear why "it needs to stop". as long as you have PR and advertising firms helping to man the campaigns of our elected officials, you're going to have data analytics and subliminal messaging being put to use.

its worked for Marlboro, its worked for Coke, and it worked for the Obama campaign.

- IGIT

you can fool some people sometimes
but you can't fool all the people all the time

ahoy Jopious,

its not a left or right thing, though. the "wild west" aspect of the storing, culling and sale of activities online are less regulated than what you've got in Europe.

that's just the way things are. up 'til now, the Democrats haven't exactly been cracking down on Google and Facebook for these kinds of activities.

That's because up until now, there hadn't been anything like this. Is there a comparable situation where the data was illegally sold and used and the democrats ignored it? Because as far as I can remember, this is the first time it's happened. This isn't a case of "facebook told someone what websites you liked", this was a mass intrusion on people's privacy done to target specific people with propaganda before our election. It hasn't happened before.

i am not a fan of the Trump administration.

i wanted to get that out of the way.

but try and look at it from their perspective;

all is sunny on the economic front. the market continues to soar. Donald is now taking it to China with sanctions....he did indeed get very tough in illegal immigrations. under Scott Pruitt, the EPA is getting dismantled - as Mr. Trump promised.

plus, as a bonus, Mr. Trump continues to say things that enrage liberals.

from the Trump supporter's perspective, all is well and they feel salty about all the negative press from the "lamestream" media, which is out to get them.

i'm not saying i agree with their pov, but i figure this is probably how they see things.

- IGIT

I don't see what Trump supporters simultaneously taking credit for Obama's economy while touting the repeal of everything he's accomplished has to do with this discussion at all.

I also know the manner in which Trump supporters are deluding themselves into thinking everything is ok. But it's not, and anyone with eyes can see. so I'm not sure what you're even getting at by stating it. Trump fans are stupid. We know.

hi Jopious and good morning,

That's because up until now, there hadn't been anything like this. Is there a comparable situation where the data was illegally sold and used and the democrats ignored it? Because as far as I can remember, this is the first time it's happened. This isn't a case of "facebook told someone what websites you liked",

you're jumping around here a bit. at first, one of your complaints was about subliminal messaging and its use in US political campaigns - and i'm saying that stuff has been going on for a while now.

now you're pointing out the illegality of what FB did. correct me if i am wrong (i've only been following the story for a distance, listening to the development on NPR), but what FB did is not illegal in the United States; it's illegal in some European countries, and that's where the lawsuit stems from.

this was a mass intrusion on people's privacy done to target specific people with propaganda before our election. It hasn't happened before.

i doubt it's never happened before. it probably has been going on for as long as peoples names ended up on mailing lists that resulted in them being targeted with specific advertising and/or political propaganda.

meaning, its been going on forever.

I don't see what Trump supporters simultaneously taking credit for Obama's economy while touting the repeal of everything he's accomplished has to do with this discussion at all.

for Trump supporters, its just one more effort to flog the POTUS whilst ignoring the vast good that he's doing the country.

I also know the manner in which Trump supporters are deluding themselves into thinking everything is ok. But it's not, and anyone with eyes can see. so I'm not sure what you're even getting at by stating it. Trump fans are stupid. We know.

i don't think everything is ok, though i think alot of us would disagree on why everything is not ok.

- IGIT

hi Jopious and good morning,

you're jumping around here a bit. at first, one of your complaints was about subliminal messaging and its use in US political campaigns - and i'm saying that stuff has been going on for a while now.

now you're pointing out the illegality of what FB did. correct me if i am wrong (i've only been following the story for a distance, listening to the development on NPR), but what FB did is not illegal in the United States; it's illegal in some European countries, and that's where the lawsuit stems from.

i doubt it's never happened before. it probably has been going on for as long as peoples names ended up on mailing lists that resulted in them being targeted with specific advertising and/or political propaganda.

meaning, its been going on forever.

for Trump supporters, its just one more effort to flog the POTUS whilst ignoring the vast good that he's doing the country.

i don't think everything is ok, though i think alot of us would disagree on why everything is not ok.

- IGIT
Please read this article:

https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/the-data-that-turned-the-world-upside-down/

hi HomerT!

i read the first 1/3, but am busy at work and can't really focus on the entire article at the moment.

i'll say, though, that i spent the first part of my career working in advertising, and none of the stuff that's covered in the piece seems new or nefarious to me.

this is obviously the way of the future in terms of how entities market their products or ideas to the public and i don't see how its avoidable. i'd rather the left embrace it (as candidate Obama did) and use targeted messaging (along with the technology that makes it more possible than ever) more effectively than the right.

- IGIT

you can fool some people sometimes
but you can't fool all the people all the time

hi there Last Samurai,

i'm a little more cynical than you, lol.

i believe that you can fool most of the people for eternity. that's one of the touchstones of advertising - and i believe in it.

- IGIT

hi there Last Samurai,

i'm a little more cynical than you, lol.

i believe that you can fool most of the people for eternity. that's one of the touchstones of advertising - and i believe in it.

- IGIT

you won't fool me
I can guarantee you that

Back