Cops arrest 2 black men for no reason in Starbucks

Let's take the R-word out for a minute. My personal experience, my observations, everything I've learned over decades of living tells me that this incident wouldn't have occurred if they were white. Their white friend had the same sense, as did other customers in the store, as did numerous other people in this thread. I'm not saying the manager is racist, Starbucks is racist. But I live in the real world and I see things the way they are, or at least appear to be. YMMV.
You're right. If they were white they would have purchased something or left when asked.

And that is to buy their product.

You refuse, they ask you to leave.
You refuse, they call the cops.

Yes or no?
No! That is NOT how Starbucks operates. You're being willfully ignorant now.

You're right. If they were white they would have purchased something or left when asked.
If they were white they wouldn't have been asked in the first place.

not as stupid as you are, starbucks is not a casual place, it's a place of business, the local park is a casual place, they can hang out all day and drink free water from the fountain. They could have easily waited outside for their friend to arrive and go in together and order. I won't call you a prick, but i do think you are dumb, but not on purpose, it's just the way you were born, I'm sorry.

that ain't free. My taxes pay for the water from that fountain--they can go to their own damn park in their own damn town.

And that is to buy their product.

You refuse, they ask you to leave.
You refuse, they call the cops.

Yes or no?
So you believe it is common for Starbucks to behave the way they did in this instance?

that ain't free. My taxes pay for the water from that fountain--they can go to their own damn park in their own damn town.

Don't you think its a little stupid that you pay taxes in the first place? Aren't you already paid by the state?

I was referring to your claim that I view any incident involving minorities to automatically be racism. Hell, I won't even focus on that term in this case. Call it what you want. My experience in life and with Starbucks tells me that the odds of this happening if they happened to be white would have been infinitely lower. Many people agree with me. I'm not someone who screams "racism" all the time. I don't think the manager or the cops or Starbucks are necessarily racist. I just think it is what it is. They were black, and I don't think it was entirely coincidental that they were singled out in this instance.
My bad. I've never known you to jump to conclusion that's why I'm left scratching my head.

How's this - I frequent Starbucks on a semi regular basis to meet with clients or potential customers. I go in, grab a coffee and wait, or proceed with the meeting. Pretty normal, right?

Now if I went in, sat down and hung out I wouldn't resist a request to make a purchase or vacate the premises. Yeah, it's a regular occurrence to hold informal meetings there, but with the expectation of contributing to their bottom line. There is no spin to this story where the two guys are in the right for A) refusung to make a purchase and B) for refusing to leave. While Starbucks is in the clear.

Lol this is quite the blanket statement

Also, black folk need to quite appropriating suburban white culture. Starbucks is kind of like fubu for white folk.

Amidoingitright?
Nah. They can have it as far as I'm concerned.

some interesting stuff online from before the incident if you google how long can i stay in starbucks. apparently, before this nobody heard of starbucks having a problem with you staying. here is just a couple comments from one site:

I had a lot ony mind that day, and really needed to write down all those thoughts. So I wanted a place, which wasn't home (my creative juices just don't flow at home), and o felt like going to Starbucks. I've been to Starbucks before but with friends and just to grab a cup of coffee and get going.

So I entered the store at 3.30 pm. Ordered a hot milky coffee. And I was there till 11 pm. It was one the best writing days I had. I write occasionally for my emotional and mental well being.

No-one disturbed me. I had my headphones the whole time listening to my fantastic playlist. The store closes 11 pm and that's when I left.

Starbucks doesn't really just sell coffee. It's basically providing a place to hangout , have meetings personal or business, and coffee just happens to be the main beverage that they sell. It's the ambience and the place rental that you're paying for when you but that coffee. When you do the math this way, you'll find it's a really good deal that you're getting.

The staff never asks you to leave. Unless there's a fire emergency maybe.

and here is the response FROM A STARBUCKS EMPLOYEE:

You may stay as long as want! Starbucks actually encourages you to hang out! There’s actually 55¢ refills if you stay in the lobby and it's free if you're a gold member! There's a few things that can get you kicked out though; including but not limited to:

• Sleeping in the lobby (not always)
  • Doing drugs in the bathroom
  • If the store is closing
  • Loudly swearing or causing a scene
  • Harassing other customers or the baristas
  • Bringing in Dunkin' Donuts (Lol jk..but maybe)
Generally, there aren't problems. In my time, I've only ever seen one person be kicked out (besides closing time) and she had been in the bathroom for long periods of time and slept in the lobby for a few hours. Turns out it was indeed drugs. I saw the stuff pulled out of her bag and she was taken out by the police. There were people at my store that were banned for harassing the baristas but I wasn't there when it happened.

other stories on here of people being in there for literally 10 hours or more. funny, but nobody said they got kicked out

https://www.quora.com/How-long-can-...ular-purchases-can-someone-stay-several-hours

No.

Starbucks business model as a "third place" is not predicated on people buying the product while there. They want to be a meeting place for people outside of work or home. If you buy something, that's preferred but not required.
Lol. You don't believe in fairy tales so this is rubbish. That might be their public persona, but it's not their business model.

Not notarized, but techniqually, I do think the manager would need to provide a signed document.

Without that. I could go to my work. Call the cops, claim I fired someone, and have them removed from corporate property.

Now whether cops actually follow the letter of the law, is a different conversation.
His position as manager is the delegation.

The real story is, why is two guys being lawfully arrested with zero incident and then let go without charges after being report by 1 person a front page new story on CNN and a multi-page story on sherdog?

Starbucks founder Howard Schultz, in fact, was a big proponent of building a comfortable third place for people to work and socialize. (The first two places being home and the traditional office.) It's part of the company's mission.

Starbucks' official response to this movement: "We strive to create a welcoming environment for all of our customers. We do not have any time limits for being in our stores, and continue to focus on making the Third Place experience for every Starbucks customer."

from a 2016 article

His position as manager is the delegation.

I don't believe it is. I have 6 levels of management at my work. They don't have the same level of authority.

When one goes on vacation, or special work assignment, and a lower level manager takes up that position, the departing senior manager must sign a delegation of his authority.

As a white man, who as a TEENAGER was detained, cuffed, and placed in the back of a squad car by police at a mall, for exactly the same reason (being told to leave by mall security and not leaving), I think this whole thing is bogus.

Leave when they tell you to leave. These two guys are ADULTS. They should know better.

Otherwise, you're trespassing. You don't have a right to be in that store - if they tell you to GTFO, you have to go.

<DontBelieve1>

not as stupid as you are, starbucks is not a casual place, it's a place of business, the local park is a casual place, they can hang out all day and drink free water from the fountain. They could have easily waited outside for their friend to arrive and go in together and order. I won't call you a prick, but i do think you are dumb, but not on purpose, it's just the way you were born, I'm sorry.
It IS a casual place. You're talking out of your ass! You're the one making multiple errors in your writing, yet I'm the dumb one. Okay. The entire business structure of Starbucks is that it's supposed to be a fun, casual place to meet, hang out, do work, etc. You obviously know nothing about the matter, yet you have a vested interest in spewing hateful nonsense. Sad.

Back