CTE... If anyone can add to this or learn from it.

You can't heal from damage already taken. Some just bleed fighters might seem fine now but they already have the damage done that will affect their brain function and health in the future. You can't just take a year off and everything will be ok. That isn't how this CTE works. After it happens, it is permanent. You can't avoid it.
Add anything if you can. There are a lot of questions and theories about all of this.

Mods, this is off topic, but if you can let it ride a bit?

Not trying to downplay cte in anyway but is it actually correct that taking a year off would have no effect on future risk of brain damage?

Why do fighters who are kod get medical suspensions?

Fighting isn't for everyone. Yeah if you fight in cage an fight many stand up battles u likekly won't have a great time in life after 40. Its really just something you got to sign up for if you wanna fight fo money. Or............ you go the grappling route n are a boring fighter an make little money.......... usually as noone wants to see u fight. I doubt Hendo even knows what day it is most days. Sadly these guys still fight with brains already much like Hunt, Fedor, Shogun n on n on. I bet Shogun n Hunt can barely function in everyday life yet in need of money so still fight.

There are MANY fighters who are in their 40s who can still function in everyday life. CTE and brain damage is a real thing, but the affects of it often get overblown, imo. In a lot of cases it doesn't start to be troublesome till the patient is many years older.

Shogun, Fedor, etc, they don't keep fighting for the money. These guys are competitors at heart and fighting is the only thing, the only thing they have ever done and most likely excelled at in their lifetimes. Hard to walk away from that when you're in your late 30s/early 40s.

Sorry to hear Patrick, do you need to take these meds daily?

yep, morning and night,

it took awhile till we found a med that works with me, i started on Amantedine, and eventually my tremor developed into being worse than ever and I couldn't do simple things with my hands, I also could barely see and i had a real hard time swallowing

Another med pramipexole just made my mood way worse and my impulses more uncontrollable

Last edited:
I'm 25, and already on parkinsons medication,

my neuropsych doctor got me on parkinsons meds to help with my cognitive functions and mood last september.

I had a really serious concussion when i was 6 or 7 and then had another one when i was in a car accident, and about 4 to 6 from training, also got beaten up by a group of guys once,

when I was 21 and got an MRI, my neurologist said I had the brain of a 40 year old

I've got another memory test coming up so i'm interested to see if i've improved on the meds.

Jeez man, that sucks.
Your cognitive functions seems to be ok though as you can still write properly and clear.
Best of luck bro.

If people have questions let me know. I am almost finished medical school and have a particular interest in CTE / TBIs because of MMA. I remember having a discussion about this with a neurologist, and basically the key point was that for the general population, the cardiovascular benefits outweigh the neurodegenerative risks. The second point was that rest after concussions and that minimizing contact in training are both essential.

I feel like if a fighter gets knocked out or suffered a hell of a beating they should stay away from any contact training for at least a year.
Ik it's pretty much impossible for the sport and it will suck bad for us, fans.
But I do really worry about their lives.

I'm no doctor though, so, what's your opinion in this subject?

My candidate for WMMA fighter to suffer from CTE in the future is Cat Zingano. She already admits that she suffered major brain injury in her fight against Amanda Nunes. Ate a lot of shots because she never had good strike defense to begin with Cat's now in her mid 30's with slowing reflexes the next time she faces a hard hitting striker it's going to be target practice and she's going to take an absolute beating.

The end result be her slurring words, have memory problems among other things by the time she's in her mid 40's.

Last edited:
The most scary thing about developing CTE is that the phenomenon doesn't really seem to be related to suffering a concussion, but instead, studies suggest that it's related to receiving any impact to the head.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180118114122.htm

This could effectively mean that getting brutally knocked out isn't nearly as bad in terms of CTE as someone putting you through the meat grinder like Cain did to JDS or what Khabib has done to nearly everybody he's ever fought. Absorbing long periods of what some people call "pitter patter GNP" may very well be the most detrimental thing to a fighter's long-term well-being.

yeah MMA's a young sport so its not as familiar a subject as it is in boxing where its more of a known quantity. Expect to see it A LOT in the next 5-10 years when the shit really starts showing up in guys we been watching the past decade. Gonna be brutal, MMA is waaay more rough than boxing for the most part.

I agree that we'll see a huge influx of fighters exhibiting full on CTE or diagnosed with CTE in the mid to late 2020's.

But I think boxing is more detrimental to brain health than MMA in the general sense, just due to the 10-count, and the fact that there are fewer legal targets to strike.

I'm from Rio and can confirm this.
Most of the time you can't even tell that he's speaking portuguese. His brother(Ninja, former MMA fighter)is even worse.

Not sure if it's from CTE tho.

I heard palhares is another dude who is impossible to understand.

yep, morning and night,

it took awhile till we found a med that works with me, i started on Amatedine, and eventually my tremor developed into being worse than ever and I couldn't do simple things with my hands, I also could barely see and i had a real hard time swallowing

Another med pramipexole just made my mood way worse and my impulses more uncontrollable
Maybe weed help you

I've heard that too, but if I recall correctly, that was more due to Rousimar's rough upbringing (homeless, working the fields from a very young age without any proper education) and the fact that he simply doesn't have the ability to speak Portuguese even when it's supposed to be his mother tongue.

Dude definitely seems more than a bit slow in other respects, too.

What about the headbangers?

They are rattling that brain within the skull like a motherfucker.

I agree that we'll see a huge influx of fighters exhibiting full on CTE or diagnosed with CTE in the mid to late 2020's.

But I think boxing is more detrimental to brain health than MMA in the general sense, just due to the 10-count, and the fact that there are fewer legal targets to strike.

could very well be, Lot more sustained head punches in boxing. Granted they also tend to be more responsible defensively. But the big question mark for MMA is the fact that in boxing you cant KO someone then jump on them with haymakers and bash their skull in till the ref decides to get in there.Theres also no brutal headkicks ect ect. Just the nature of the beast I guess. I don't think I could say that MMA is 'safer' than boxing but they're definitely both brutal lol.

Kinda off, but I don't think it's from CTE though.
I don't know how to put this without being offensive as my english vocabulary isn't that great but he clearly suffer from some mental retardation IMO.
That's why many ppl think that he's mean when holding submissions for too long.
I don't think it's true, he just isn't a person with normal cognitive skills.

From the University of Toronto

"A mixed martial arts fighter suffers a traumatic brain injury in almost a third of professional bouts — far more than the rate of such injuries in hockey, football or even boxing, suggests a new Canadian study.

It is among the first scientific reviews of MMA’s concussion-related dangers, as other contact sports increasingly focus on the head-trauma issue"

1/3 of fights equals one traumatic brain injury a year.

In Hockey they play so much more, so I'm wondering if that is taken into consideration.

Last edited:
I don't know how to put this without being offensive as my english vocabulary isn't that great but he clearly suffer from some mental retardation IMO.

He's like a puppy in the body of a full-grown bullmastiff: doesn't seem to understand his own strength.

Also, remember that time when he fought Dan Miller and called his own KO? It was hilarious and made me feel bad for him at the same time.

4.gif

He's like a puppy in the body of a full-grown bullmastiff: doesn't seem to understand his own strength.

Also, remember that time when he fought Dan Miller and called his own KO? It was hilarious and made me feel bad for him at the same time.

4.gif

Lol how could I forget that?

Just to be clear I didn't want to offend him by no means.

The fact that this dude overcame extreme poverty with a really low IQ and managed to step in the most competitive MMA event of the world just show how brilliant and hard worker the guy is.
Nothing but respect.

If people have questions let me know. I am almost finished medical school and have a particular interest in CTE / TBIs because of MMA. I remember having a discussion about this with a neurologist, and basically the key point was that for the general population, the cardiovascular benefits outweigh the neurodegenerative risks. The second point was that rest after concussions and that minimizing contact in training are both essential.
I heard the liquid surrounding the brain of boxers with the pass of the time get more like gelatinous, so after they get hit.. their brains moves more slower and because of that they are better taking harder hits than people that don't train. Is true the change of that liquid ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back