CTE... If anyone can add to this or learn from it.

The size and speed of current NHLers are incomparable to those of the Hull/Howe era. The amount of hard hitting modern players face is enormous. You don't have to look very far for young guys in the NHL who were found to have CTE. Derek Boogerd had one of the worst cases IIRC.

They think they've diagnosed 4 college players from one school with CTE.

https://www.tsn.ca/four-junior-hockey-players-diagnosed-with-cte-researcher-says-1.730445

Geezus... I had no idea.

CTE scares the hell out of me. So, i'm not denying it's real. However, I look back at boxing and football and I see a lot guys later down the road that are doing just fine. I have to ask, what's the truth? Are they most likely hiding lesser symptoms but still have slight issues from it? Or what?

This is why it gets to me when so called fans give fighters shit for playing it safe or not fighting like a maniac , these dudes are in the most dangerous sport in the world the human brain isn't made to be shook up for 15\25 mins . Wish more would be done to combat the dangers but what can be done

If people have questions let me know. I am almost finished medical school and have a particular interest in CTE / TBIs because of MMA. I remember having a discussion about this with a neurologist, and basically the key point was that for the general population, the cardiovascular benefits outweigh the neurodegenerative risks. The second point was that rest after concussions and that minimizing contact in training are both essential.
Is it true that concussions actually come from a calcium being released in the brain during trauma?

CTE seems to be such a huge topic for everyone and want the UFC to do something about it when in reality they can't, the sport is the sport we can't ask guys to punch lighter and if bigger gloves are introduced they wont be big enough to stop the damage but will allow fighters to hit harder for longer and take more punishment
The only glove change that makes sense is no gloves (which i dont want to see) because fighters will take less brain punishment but more superficial damage and broken hands, fights will be stopped with cuts the majority of the time
Also with everyone knowing CTE is there and is concerned there still seems to be people who think you get knocked out if you touch a certain nerve on someones chin

@RR - any comments here?
somewhat accurate. It depends on the session and what work the fighter is looking to get in boxing wise.

Muay Thai I've one been around Tyrone Spong

CTE scares the hell out of me. So, i'm not denying it's real. However, I look back at boxing and football and I see a lot guys later down the road that are doing just fine. I have to ask, what's the truth? Are they most likely hiding lesser symptoms but still have slight issues from it? Or what?

This sounds crazy but a lot of the times people with mental disabilities from injuries don't realize it at all. It's a process that can slowly happen over time as we have seen from recorded cases. We are talking about very small, subtle changes that occur over long periods over ones life time. It won't seem like much year by year but at the end of it it adds up.

yet most of the old mma fighters don't speak with a lisp like old boxers

There are many cons to CTE... you may not remember your wife's B-day, or your anniversary (but chances are, if you acquire it as a top tier prize fighter, your wife is HOT AF).

There are also benefits. Many of them! If you're late on rent, CTE. If you're late to work, CTE. If you're late on taxes, CTE.

My personal favorite benefit though is that while you may have forgotten about your fighting career, people will remind you of it everyday.

Can you imagine if the average sherdogger had someone congratulate him/her again for graduating kindergarten everyday?

It would be a kinder place.

I love this sport and have been watching since 1999 but there's no way around it--- it's a brutal fucking sport.Yes, rules-usada-refs have altered mma for the better but at end of day it's a fist fight inside of cage.The eight points of m-Thai in itself says it all .All of this with tiny gloves.
I'd like to see an interview with Diego Sanchez 15 years from now (Not making light of it...being serious)

There are many cons to CTE... you may not remember your wife's B-day, or your anniversary (but chances are, if you acquire it as a top tier prize fighter, your wife is HOT AF).

There are also benefits. Many of them! If you're late on rent, CTE. If you're late to work, CTE. If you're late on taxes, CTE.

My personal favorite benefit though is that while you may have forgotten about your fighting career, people will remind you of it everyday.

Can you imagine if the average sherdogger had someone congratulate him/her again for graduating kindergarten everyday?

It would be a kinder place.

Sounds good, bro.
Go get some CTE.

I read some study that says CBD oil was shown to reduce the swelling that actually causes CTE if smoked immediately after trauma. It was also shown to have a "neuroprotective" effect for future concussions. It also blocks a neurotransmitter that causes brain cell death after a concussion. Can it undo damage done through years of fighting? No. But it can "protect" your brain studies show and I wish more fighters knew this and took advantage of it.

Oh yeah. "Studies". This is all just a sales pitch for the latest drug of choice.

"Oooh, I need to smoke it up because it is healing my brain."

Fucking Shertards.

Oh yeah. "Studies". This is all just a sales pitch for the latest drug of choice.

"Oooh, I need to smoke it up because it is healing my brain."

Fucking Shertards.
Spoken like someone that doesn't understand the scientific method.

Sure, there are different degrees of reliability to studies and how peer-reviewed they are, but without seeing the actual study, based on what are you declaring it as a sales pitch exactly?

I don't totally agree. For current day, absolutely. But I can't rule out recovery yet. For a couple of reasons. We just recently found out exactly what cte is. So that alone tells me we are still only scratching the surface not only with the condition itself, but the treatment of. And the second thing is definitely treatments. In the US where some of the major pharmaceutical researchers are they can't really delve deep into things like Stemcells which is something that could absolutely have regenerative capabilities with the condition. But in 2018, unfortunately we have to go with what you said and just assume it's permanent cause until more is researched we just know so little grand scheme about the properties of cte and the brain long term other than "it's not good".

I'll add to it - realize if you're picking this as a profession, your opponent is allowed to drive elbows into your face and head.If your palms aren't flat on canvas and weight bearing, your opponent is allowed to knee you into oblivion. Listen, I love this sport and have been watching for the better part of 20 years but it's not for everybody. It's brutal---- Ive seen football players say " nah, I don't watch that UFC stuff - to brutal for me"
That's true. Nobody makes these guys go out there. However, I still have sympathy for these guys because prior to the past couple of years, not much was known about head injuries in these sports. Atleast it wasn't talked about. I think it's fine to keep football and mma, but find ways to make it safer and make sure everybody knows the risks.

I think one way to make it safer is to have a protocol for knockouts and/or concussions. There's no reason a guy like Frankie edgar should get ko'd then fight less than 2 months later. Know what I mean? There also needs to be a max amount that's allowed before you're forced into retirement from that sport.

You can't heal from damage already taken. Some just bleed fighters might seem fine now but they already have the damage done that will affect their brain function and health in the future. You can't just take a year off and everything will be ok. That isn't how this CTE works. After it happens, it is permanent. You can't avoid it.
Add anything if you can. There are a lot of questions and theories about all of this.

Mods, this is off topic, but if you can let it ride a bit?
I think you're right, but damnit I hope you're wrong

That's true. Nobody makes these guys go out there. However, I still have sympathy for these guys because prior to the past couple of years, not much was known about head injuries in these sports. Atleast it wasn't talked about. I think it's fine to keep football and mma, but find ways to make it safer and make sure everybody knows the risks.

I think one way to make it safer is to have a protocol for knockouts and/or concussions. There's no reason a guy like Frankie edgar should get ko'd then fight less than 2 months later. Know what I mean? There also needs to be a max amount that's allowed before you're forced into retirement from that sport.
I actually do agree with you
.. posted another post in thread which backs up alot of what you're saying , This ,I guess, was my initial reaction.

yeah MMA's a young sport so its not as familiar a subject as it is in boxing where its more of a known quantity. Expect to see it A LOT in the next 5-10 years when the shit really starts showing up in guys we been watching the past decade. Gonna be brutal, MMA is waaay more rough than boxing for the most part.
nope, boxing is worse for CTE.

Back