With the passing of Avicii, I have to ask: What is it exactly that DJs do?

Their are real dj's out there. This guy was not one of them. Can't stand hipsters.

Seriously, there must be some level of skill involved.

They release their own tracks, right?

Yeah. My main touring partner in comedy makes decent money DJing on the side. I think most people here are referring to the live aspect of DJing but there's an art to it.

Most DJs worth their salt make their own beats, songs, samples so on so forth.

I don't like the remix but if yo want to see some of the technical stuff behind it this is interesting.

But everyone shitting on DJ's.

Come on. Daft Punk is an incredibly important musical act.

Seriously, there must be some level of skill involved.

They release their own tracks, right?
Not all, but the ones like avicii are also producers and they play their songs live, so they dont necessarily have to be the best DJs because they get their fanbase from producing. not sure if thats the case with Avicii since idk much about him.

But yeah dj-ing and producing are two different things.

Seriously.

I have no idea what goes into performing electronic music, especially live.

Can someone educate me?

Are DJs actual musicians?

DJs are more like orchestrators. A DJ creates an experience. There is a big difference between just playing songs in sequence vs being a good DJ.

edgy

We're talking shitty music, flashing lights and weirdo dancing turds on molly right. Not like rock stars trashing hotel rooms, bagging groupies or rappers, hoes, and fat blunt, right?

So yeah, since this: 'shitty music, flashing lights, and weirdo dancing turds on molly' are drugs and music not cool.

You don't think millionaire DJs trash hotel rooms, fuck groupies and smoke blunts?

{<jordan}

giphy.gif

I wish one hardcore fan would step up and really sell what these guys do.

They're living the life, guy*. they're keeping it real, man. You''d never understand.

*Edit: Well, okay, technically Avicii isn't, anymore.

DJ'ing encompasses a few things. For some its scratching, but mainly what DJ's do is mixing. This could be as simple as blending the starts and stops together to form essentially one continuous song to layering songs on top of each other to make a new song. The latter can be difficult especially on the fly. Then you have your Bar Mitzvah DJ's who just play music.

DJ'ing is somewhat technical with scratching, but it is more simply about having an ear for music. And really most DJ's who do it full time are usually producers of the music as well or some type of studio musician.

Last edited:
The Worst is the that Dj Aoki guy or whatever. Jesus fucking christ stupid drugged out techno hipsters making that shmuck a millionare.

Also lol at stupid festivals of hipsters like Coachella. Fake fucks.

You need to draw a distinction between guys like Mixmaster Mike, Grandmaster Flash etc who actually use the turntable as an instrument and house DJs, who match beats and try to look cool.

The Worst is the that Dj Aoki guy or whatever. Jesus fucking christ stupid drugged out techno hipsters making that shmuck a millionare.

The guy started out well off. His daddy owns Benihanas

The guy started out well off. His daddy owns Benihanas

O shit baller Japanese i guess. Still cant stand that trendy Las Vegas Club shit. Good for him though business moves.

tumblr_ndnjf0BUdh1r1ult6o1_500.gif

While I'm not a huge fan of modern EDM (although Euro was the shit back in the 90s) - alot of DJs are really talented at mixing music in real time.

There are some who pre-record their set, and it is literally as easy as pressing play, but most others will splice multiple songs together, add transitions/fades/repetitions etc on the fly.

I never really appreciated the technical side of it until I saw a DJ perform at some sort of campus event. The girl was doing like 10 different things at once - but instead of playing an instrument, she was pressing buttons, moving sliders etc. To do that, and produce a coherent track actually looked really difficult.

Back