Leslie Smith is suing the UFC

Because common sense tells me she definitely isn't worth 100000.
Well your common since and a dollar will buy you a can of coke.

But what does that actually have to do with what the truth is?

33 girls have been cut since women came into the UFC and Smith is the first to get her marching orders with a winning record. Makes it pretty obvious why she was cut and it's a 100% to do with her union activities.

My view is that the UFC were stupid to sack her, opens them up to the risk of the fighters being classed as employees rather than independent contractors. I wonder if Endeavour lawyers were even consulted. It isn't over by a long shot.

33 girls have been cut since women came into the UFC and Smith is the first to get her marching orders with a winning record. Makes it pretty obvious why she was cut and it's a 100% to do with her union activities.

My view is that the UFC were stupid to sack her, opens them up to the risk of the fighters being classed as employees rather than independent contractors. I wonder if Endeavour lawyers were even consulted. It isn't over by a long shot.

She wasn't cut, she just wasn't resigned. Her contract ended and she tried to negotiate for more money and UFC didn't agree, so there is no new contract.

If you are going to try and act like you have facts/stats, at least get the most basic facts of the story correct.

Just adding to your "spoiler" section, not from that interview, with Luke Thomas she also was dismissing Aspen, if she was so sure that she was going to win, then why not fight? show + win + penalty from Aspen, the 5k im not 100% sure if that was real, and also the chance of getting a new contract, but she chose the money with no risk, but absolutely no future income potential from it, but the complete opposite, she bitched just a little too much about small things on both interviews.

The reason she didn't fight Ladd was that in her view she had nothing to gain and much to lose. The fact that she's suing the UFC immediately afterwards shows that Smith thinks she was not resigned because of the union organizing and not because of her decisions with that fight.

I don't know if it is true, but it's plausible. And Smith thinks so, which to me completely explains her decision not to fight.

Doesn't it change the equation when one factors in that Smith was not cut. She was not sacked. I think this is key, especially in a legal setting. If the UFC wanted to cut her for her union activities, they could have done so much earlier. Instead they let her fight out her contract, which gave her plenty of opportunity to get other fighters on board.

I don't understand, there are other organizations. If she hates how UFC does business she should go to another org. Why is she mad she had to leave the organization she hated? She has no right to try to change the UFC after joining it. A fighter who has never done accounting wants to balance the UFC's budget? It just seems like entitled worker syndrome.

She wasn't cut, she just wasn't resigned. Her contract ended and she tried to negotiate for more money and UFC didn't agree, so there is no new contract.

If you are going to try and act like you have facts/stats, at least get the most basic facts of the story correct.

Ok Mr Pedantic cut/failed to be resigned .... adds up to the same thing, you're off the roster. 33 girls have been cut or not resigned and she's the first with a winning record. The lawyers can sort out if shes an employee and if subsequently not renewing her contract because of her union activities impinges on her rights.

As it happens I'm not even a supporter of the union and certainly not the Ali act but certainly think the UFC have been stupid allowing this second front to open up.

Doesn't it change the equation when one factors in that Smith was not cut. She was not sacked. I think this is key, especially in a legal setting. If the UFC wanted to cut her for her union activities, they could have done so much earlier. Instead they let her fight out her contract, which gave her plenty of opportunity to get other fighters on board.

You may well be right, it's something the lawyers will sort out. The UFC could have avoided the risk of a legal challenge to their view that fighters are independent contractors by extending her contract by two or even one fight on the current terms - which Is what Smith ended up asking for.

Btw does anyone really think she was removed from the roster for any reason other that Project Spearhead?

You may well be right, it's something the lawyers will sort out. The UFC could have avoided the risk of a legal challenge to their view that fighters are independent contractors by extending her contract by two or even one fight on the current terms - which Is what Smith ended up asking for.

Btw does anyone really think she was removed from the roster for any reason other that Project Spearhead?

If declining to renew her contract now gives Smith grounds to sue, how would giving her another fight and then declining to resign not give her grounds to sue?

Ok Mr Pedantic cut/failed to be resigned .... adds up to the same thing, you're off the roster. 33 girls have been cut or not resigned and she's the first with a winning record. The lawyers can sort out if shes an employee and if subsequently not renewing her contract because of her union activities impinges on her rights.

As it happens I'm not even a supporter of the union and certainly not the Ali act but certainly think the UFC have been stupid allowing this second front to open up.

Pretty big difference between being cut vs not being resigned after asking for more money.

The entitlement of this gal is indicative of just how lost in the sauce some millennials really are.

If declining to renew her contract now gives Smith grounds to sue, how would giving her another fight and then declining to resign not give her grounds to sue?

It would have bought the UFC time to see exactly how many Project Spearhead cards were returned. Chances are they would fail to reach 30% and the project would be dead. Reaching 30% would enable P.S. to get the NLRB to make a decision on the status of the fighters. By getting rid of Smith the possibility exists of making that decision without the necessity of reaching 30%.

I don't know what benefit there was to the UFC in removing her anyway, maybe to scare some fighters from signing cards, but the cards might not even be necessary now.

Pretty big difference between being cut vs not being resigned after asking for more money.

From what I understood she made the 100k comment to a journo who passed the message on to the UFC. Her manager phoned the UFC with the offer of 2 or 1 extra fight at the old terms but the UFC didn't get back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It would have bought the UFC time to see exactly how many Project Spearhead cards were returned. Chances are they would fail to reach 30% and the project would be dead. Reaching 30% would enable P.S. to get the NLRB to make a decision on the status of the fighters. By getting rid of Smith the possibility exists of making that decision without the necessity of reaching 30%.

I don't know what benefit there was to the UFC in removing her anyway, maybe to scare some fighters from signing cards, but the cards might not even be necessary now.
I can see the point of that, if the UFC thought she was likely to fail. From what I've read here itt, that seems likely, but I have no idea how many cards she had collected or could reasonably expect to collect.

Back