Leslie Smith is suing the UFC

She's 35+ lol. Not a millennial.

I'm a millennial though and support her.
Well it appears she’s a wannabe millennial, luckily she has real deal millennials(such as yourself) supporting her entitlement

Suing for what though? I swear you can sue for anything in the states...
I'm surprised folks aren't on eggshells

You may be able to sue for anything in the US but it doesn't mean a judge will allow it to proceed and if so, doesn't mean they'll win.

She's 35+ lol. Not a millennial.

I'm a millennial though and support her.

Au contraire, mon frère:

• Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 and later
  • Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 to 1995
  • Generation X: Born 1965 to 1976
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946 to 1964

Au contraire, mon frère:

Oui?

I'm Gen Z then from that. Better than that millennial label then.

Merci beaucoup!

33 girls have been cut since women came into the UFC and Smith is the first to get her marching orders with a winning record. Makes it pretty obvious why she was cut and it's a 100% to do with her union activities.

My view is that the UFC were stupid to sack her, opens them up to the risk of the fighters being classed as employees rather than independent contractors. I wonder if Endeavour lawyers were even consulted. It isn't over by a long shot.
They didn't sack her, they just didn't offer her a new contract.

They didn't sack her, they just didn't offer her a new contract.

Yes, yes, they didn't offer her a new contract ..... and maybe she's an independent contractor and maybe she's an employee whose employment was terminated because of her union activities. This won't be decided by Sherdog.

Yes, yes, they didn't offer her a new contract ..... and maybe she's an independent contractor and maybe she's an employee whose employment was terminated because of her union activities. This won't be decided by Sherdog.
sorry then

33 girls have been cut since women came into the UFC and Smith is the first to get her marching orders with a winning record. Makes it pretty obvious why she was cut and it's a 100% to do with her union activities.

My view is that the UFC were stupid to sack her, opens them up to the risk of the fighters being classed as employees rather than independent contractors. I wonder if Endeavour lawyers were even consulted. It isn't over by a long shot.
In what way does not resigning a contractor who completed their contractual duties risk reclassification of employment status?

In what way does not resigning a contractor who completed their contractual duties risk reclassification of employment status?

I guess that matter will be decided by the lawyers .... obviously the UFC will say independent contractor while Leslie's side will argue that she has always been in reality an employee. Should the UFC have precipitated this legal action? I would have thought they would have been advised to wait until the card collection fizzled out.

I guess that matter will be decided by the lawyers .... obviously the UFC will say independent contractor while Leslie's side will argue that she has always been in reality an employee. Should the UFC have precipitated this legal action? I would have thought they would have been advised to wait until the card collection fizzled out.

This is stupid. So the UFC is beholden to resign a fighter in perpetuity regardless of contract obligations having been met?

She was paid and her contract honored in full. UFC is under no legal precedent to resign her.

This is stupid. So the UFC is beholden to resign a fighter in perpetuity regardless of contract obligations having been met?

She was paid and her contract honored in full. UFC is under no legal precedent to resign her.

Well then her case will get thrown out by the NLRB, thanks for your legal opinion.

Au contraire, mon frère:

I don't think that's quite accurate. Millennials are supposed to be early 80s to late 90s. I would definitely consider someone born in 77 to be Gen X. That's someone who's 41 right now. Leslie still qualifies as millenial though.

Well then her case will get thrown out by the NLRB, thanks for your legal opinion.
I doubt it ever makes it anywhere near the NLRB. Even if it did history is not on the fighters side as wrestlers have been trying to get employment status for decades (with WAYYYYYYYYYYYY more restrictive contracts than the UFC) and have never gotten close to winning.

if you're just going to say this to every reply, why bother saying anything at all? I'm curious why you think you're an authority on the subject and not one other sherdogger could possibly be one or have gone through a similar situation. Most of us have had jobs at some point in our lives, employment issues aren't limited to those who do NOT browse forums. When she loses and looks like a fool I'll be right here saying the same things and laughing in your face.

She should change her nick name....

Leslie "waste of everyone's time" Smith

perviously I throught her nick name was Leslie "fooking sucks" Smith

if you're just going to say this to every reply, why bother saying anything at all? I'm curious why you think you're an authority on the subject and not one other sherdogger could possibly be one or have gone through a similar situation. Most of us have had jobs at some point in our lives, employment issues aren't limited to those who do NOT browse forums. When she loses and looks like a fool I'll be right here saying the same things and laughing in your face.

I don't think I'm an authority and don't really understand what you're talking about and can't really be bothered to go back and find out why you're upset. If you want to come back and laugh in my face then fine, it's not as if I care about the result either way.

She wasn't cut, she just wasn't resigned. Her contract ended and she tried to negotiate for more money and UFC didn't agree, so there is no new contract.

If you are going to try and act like you have facts/stats, at least get the most basic facts of the story correct.
Actually her contract only ended when she accepted the money.

Back