Objectively horrible crap done by consensus-good US Presidents

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't mean Lincoln and the Civil War, or Truman dropping the bomb. There are strong moral arguments for doing those things, despite having terrible aspects to them.

I mean things like Teddy Roosevelt pardoning the slaver John Pace. I don't think much of Teddy, at all, but he is regarded well by history. His investigation of peonage (debt-slavery, typically fraudulently claimed) in the South was arguably a political stunt, producing relatively few convictions and investigations despite being widespread throughout the South.

Teddy, no matter how good anybody thinks he was, has to suck a gigantic fuck in hell for that one.

Well, Teddy Roosevelt was as Noam Chomsky said "a tremendous charlatan."

Anyways, what is "consensus good"? Is that just limited to the founding father era + Lincoln/Truman/FDR?

Anyways, what is "consensus good"? Is that just limited to the founding father era + Lincoln/Truman/FDR?

Use your brain

i mean, didn't some of our Presidents own slaves? other than that, they are regarded as good Presidents.

Bill Clinton once ruined a perfectly good cigar

I don't like Truman.

I know it's kind of a problematic topic for a few reasons, but I had hoped the example I gave might set the tone. Jackson is (for some reason) seen as good, but there's the really obvious Trail of Tears shenanigans/murder. Maybe this is more of a trivia thread.

Let's go with Wikipedia's aggregate top 20 or so:

Abraham Lincoln
Franklin D. Roosevelt
George Washington
Theodore Roosevelt
Thomas Jefferson
Harry S. Truman
Woodrow Wilson
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Andrew Jackson
John F. Kennedy
Barack Obama
James K. Polk
Lyndon B. Johnson
James Madison
John Adams
Ronald Reagan
James Monroe
Bill Clinton
William McKinley
Grover Cleveland

You don't get to be President w/o fucking a few people over. See Lincoln's comment about keeping some people happy some of the time and ask who's left holding the bag?

Back