UFC 224 - Nunes vs Pennington - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

More like she's the closest thing to a man in WBW.
She can't really win. People complain about women having shitty striking and no ko power, but when you get a female fighter that can actually hurt people with her hands, she is considered too butch. Just seems like a lame way to discredit someone's accomplishments, because you feel she isn't hot.

I see Karl Roberson heading towards pick'em odds

Tough debut for Roberson, making his debut against a Brazilian in Brazil

But Cezar looks worse every fight, barely got passed a retiring Nate M

I'm gonna take a closer look at Roberson, Cezar is prey at this point

But I don't like betting against Brazilians in Brazil, Roberson gotta show me something

Times like this I would appreciate the advice of Master Gamblou

I see Karl Roberson heading towards pick'em odds

Tough debut for Roberson, making his debut against a Brazilian in Brazil

But Cezar looks worse every fight, barely got passed a retiring Nate M

I'm gonna take a closer look at Roberson, Cezar is prey at this point

But I don't like betting against Brazilians in Brazil, Roberson gotta show me something

Times like this I would appreciate the advice of Master Gamblou
We don't really have evidence of how Roberson would do against someone who tries to grapple him. Will he connect w Mutante's chin if given the opportunity? sure. But its hard to make an informed decision on whether he can keep it standing with his limited fight tape and no background in grappling

We don't really have evidence of how Roberson would do against someone who tries to grapple him. Will he connect w Mutante's chin if given the opportunity? sure. But its hard to make an informed decision on whether he can keep it standing with his limited fight tape and no background in grappling
Yeah a lot of questions surrounding Roberson

He seems to have somewhat of ground game, not a complete novice like other strikers that come into MMA. Roberson trains in the Jersey area and does a lot of training with Corey Anderson, so you know he's improving that TDD

Roberson's high level kickboxing experience and natural athleticism is what he has going for him, everything else is end of up in the air.

This is a tough debut though and I expect some questions to be answered unless Roberson ices him early.

Cezar on the decline thats for sure. His chin sucks and so does his cardio. Maybe Roberson gets wrestled early but then comes back later in the fight.

She can't really win. People complain about women having shitty striking and no ko power, but when you get a female fighter that can actually hurt people with her hands, she is considered too butch. Just seems like a lame way to discredit someone's accomplishments, because you feel she isn't hot.
People like Holly Holm and Cat Zingano both of whom have KO power. And both of them seem to be nice and likable.

I don't care how a woman looks when it comes to betting money. I do dislike Nunes because she comes across as a pissed off cranky bitch to everyone (including the fans) except her gay gal pals. She might have KO power but I have no desire to support her or cheer her on.

Yeah a lot of questions surrounding Roberson

He seems to have somewhat of ground game, not a complete novice like other strikers that come into MMA. Roberson trains in the Jersey area and does a lot of training with Corey Anderson, so you know he's improving that TDD

Roberson's high level kickboxing experience and natural athleticism is what he has going for him, everything else is end of up in the air.

This is a tough debut though and I expect some questions to be answered unless Roberson ices him early.

Cezar on the decline thats for sure. His chin sucks and so does his cardio. Maybe Roberson gets wrestled early but then comes back later in the fight.
Not to discourage you off of the play, I think with this line shift, it's def worth a shot on Roberson KO/ITD, but pretty much the same argument was made against Mutante when he fought Bamgbose. In hindsight we know how much of a flake Bam is but there were similar question marks surrounding him prior to that fight and he got worked when most expected him to starch Mutante

People like Holly Holm and Cat Zingano both of whom have KO power. And both of them seem to be nice and likable.

I don't care how a woman looks when it comes to betting money. I do dislike Nunes because she comes across as a pissed off cranky bitch to everyone (including the fans) except her gay gal pals. She might have KO power but I have no desire to support her or cheer her on.
I think Holm is a very nice person, but I also think people don't care for her as a fighter at all, what popularity she has comes mainly from dethroning the evil queen. A lot of people loathe her fighting style. Seen plenty of people bash her for being masculine also. Cat Zingano is really on no one's radar.

And I was addressing people's general tendency to dismiss a wmma fighter's accomplishments on the mere grounds of not being 'fuckable', not whether one would have any particular reason to root for her.

Am I missing something? This is Robersons second fight in the UFC

I like what I have seen. His TDD seems solid and his clinch game seems very good

Dern apparently missed her flight and has arrived in Brazil a day later than she was planning to. Probably not a big deal but maybe another sign that she isn’t taking this a seriously as she should be. Also could potentially affect her weight cut.

Dern apparently missed her flight and has arrived in Brazil a day later than she was planning to. Probably not a big deal but maybe another sign that she isn’t taking this a seriously as she should be. Also could potentially affect her weight cut.

I'm fading Dern every UFC fight, imo she's one dimensional and a little crazy.

For those who are long-time listeners of Gabriel Morency & Gamblou: You know Gabe used to have his show on The Fight Network called MMA Meltdown, then he got shuffled off to Morency Unfiltered on Fantasy Sports Network's YouTube. But now you can listen to the latest episode of his audio-only radio show Game Time Decisions and skip past the stick & ball sports talk to hear Lou's guest spot talking about UFC 224. Lou likes Gastelum, Cooper, Ferreira & Hein to pull off the upsets.

http://fantasysportsnetwork.com/radioshows/8/

For those who are long-time listeners of Gabriel Morency & Gamblou: You know Gabe used to have his show on The Fight Network called MMA Meltdown, then he got shuffled off to Morency Unfiltered on Fantasy Sports Network's YouTube. But now you can listen to the latest episode of his audio-only radio show Game Time Decisions and skip past the stick & ball sports talk to hear Lou's guest spot talking about UFC 224. Lou likes Gastelum, Cooper, Ferreira & Hein to oull off the upsets.

http://fantasysportsnetwork.com/radioshows/8/
@Levels ask and you shall receive ^^^

I think Chael just jinxed Kelvin.

Probably did Jinx him. I don't see what other people see in Gastelum. I hammered Weidman sub against him at like +700. I think the dude's too small for top-flight MW grapplers to not have their way with, and I don't think he's got utterly spectacular power. He's dangerous, but he's not top-tier dangerous.

He's been picking on the retirement crew, and I'm not quite ready to put Jacare in there. Jacare might not be top-tier durable any more, but he can clearly still take a serious shot.

Probably did Jinx him. I don't see what other people see in Gastelum. I hammered Weidman sub against him at like +700. I think the dude's too small for top-flight MW grapplers to not have their way with, and I don't think he's got utterly spectacular power. He's dangerous, but he's not top-tier dangerous.

He's been picking on the retirement crew, and I'm not quite ready to put Jacare in there. Jacare might not be top-tier durable any more, but he can clearly still take a serious shot.

I have no idea why you would hammer Weidman by SUB even at +700. A bet, sure. I know you won the bet, good for you but what sub did you expect Weidman to get? The arm-triangle? Lol. Your grappling capping must be Nostradamus level. I mean it did take 13 takedown attempts and almost all 3 rounds. I dont think Jacare has the energy to replicate that and I dont think hes as strong a wrestler as Weidman. You may say Jacare only needs 1 takedown, and hell thats definitely a possibility but it's very hard to submit someone that wont play with you on the ground(unless you're a Boetsch or Camozzi, cant take anything away from his Mousasi sub though Mousasi said USADA could). Kelvin knows Jacares only path is SUB and if he cant get it, I'm not confident he doesnt get finished himself or lose a decision.

I have no idea why you would hammer Weidman by SUB even at +700. A bet, sure. I know you won the bet, good for you but what sub did you expect Weidman to get? The arm-triangle? Lol. Your grappling capping must be Nostradamus level. I mean it did take 13 takedown attempts and almost all 3 rounds. I dont think Jacare has the energy to replicate that and I dont think hes as strong a wrestler as Weidman. You may say Jacare only needs 1 takedown, and hell thats definitely a possibility but it's very hard to submit someone that wont play with you on the ground(unless you're a Boetsch or Camozzi, cant take anything away from his Mousasi sub). Kelvin knows Jacares only path is SUB if he cant get it, I'm not confident he doesnt get finished himself or lose a decision.
Weidman had like 3 deep sub attempts in that fight, Gastelum consistently exposes his back and Weidman's actually an ultra-legit submission grappler? Anderson Silva didn't want anything to do with him on the ground, and just about the only guy who's willing gone to ground with Chris is Rockhold, who has a top 3 top game ever in MMA history. Gastelum's not big enough to tangle with Jacare on the ground, and his habit of back exposure to get back to his feet isn't a good one.

I put 1.5u on Weidman Sub @ +850. I think my logic was based around Gas having a crazy good chin, Weidman being the dominant grappler and the sub likely being the path of least resistance there. I also think that Jacare KO's fully viable as a path, either from mount or standing. Jacare's actually a huge hitter, if not particularly technical. I'd say Jacare's the biggest hitter Gastelum's faced so far.

Weidman had like 3 deep sub attempts in that fight, Gastelum consistently exposes his back and Weidman's actually an ultra-legit submission grappler? Anderson Silva didn't want anything to do with him on the ground, and just about the only guy who's willing gone to ground with Chris is Rockhold, who has a top 3 top game ever in MMA history. Gastelum's not big enough to tangle with Jacare on the ground, and his habit of back exposure to get back to his feet isn't a good one.

I put 1.5u on Weidman Sub @ +850. I think my logic was based around Gas having a crazy good chin, Weidman being the dominant grappler and the sub likely being the path of least resistance there. I also think that Jacare KO's fully viable as a path, either from mount or standing. Jacare's actually a huge hitter, if not particularly technical. I'd say Jacare's the biggest hitter Gastelum's faced so far.

I'm with you on Gastelum exposing his back to get back to his feet but I think it's more of a calculated play with a purpose, bait for an easier escape. I dont think Kelvin will be purposely exposing his back to Jacare. When I wrestled I used to purposely let my oppenent get a deep shot from the clinch, split legs, slight whizzer, go heavy, make them waste energy lifting me just so I can drop, hook inside leg from the 69 position, pull over my head and come out the back for the easy 2 on a tired opponent.

The KO possibility is where we diverge a bit, sure Jacare has power but can he place it. Kelvin is of course very fast, great footwork, great defensively and just like on the ground will bait you standing for the counter. I think Jacare would be very lucky to KO Kelvin

I'm with you on Gastelum exposing his back to get back to his feet but I think it's more of a calculated play with a purpose, bait for an easier escape. I dont think Kelvin will be purposely exposing his back to Jacare. When I wrestled I used to purposely let my oppenent get a deep shot from the clinch, split legs, slight whizzer, go heavy, make them waste energy lifting me just so I can drop, hook inside leg from the 69 position, pull over my head and come out the back for the easy 2 on a tired opponent.

The KO possibility is where we diverge a bit, sure Jacare has power but can he place it. Kelvin is of course very fast, great footwork, great defensively and just like on the ground will bait you standing for the counter. I think Jacare would be very lucky to KO Kelvin
I get the inherent idea behind Gastelum's back-exposure escape. It works because it's a bit unorthodox and he's tended to be stronger/fitter than a lot of guys he's thought, but I think it's something that's going to get him shut down and mat return'd a whole lot as he comes up against the biggest MWs. His path at MW's been mostly free of guys that aren't on a pronounced, overt downtrend (Weidman's the only guy in his 'prime' that Gastelum's fought at MW, and he was coming off a 3-KO-loss streak. Gastelum has also relied heavily on his scrambling to make up for his TDD, which I don't think is a good idea against the top of the division.

I'm not saying Jacare KO's my pick, but I think there's value on that prop. Jacare's the hardest hitter Gastelum's been in with, and it's noto like Gastelum's unhittable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GringoRonin
Back