When does white privilege kick in?

Do you believe there is such a thing as while privilege?

Maybe a better question would be: If you were African American would you have had a harder time in your life, would you have had to put up with more shit?

I grew up in an inner city and a rather unique one in that it was pretty racially mixed .From my own little anecdotal experience in my bubble i failed to see how blacks in a poorer area had it harder than other races living in the same environment. We all had bad experiences with the cops, we all got followed around stores, we got in fights motivated over race etc etc

What i did notice however is it seemed ones ability to avoid the cliche trappings of inner city life seemed to be wholly dependant on having a family unit together that instilled in them a strong sense of right and wrong rather than them having an advantage due to their ethnicity.

Historically white? Does that mean only WASPS because Irish and Italians weren't historically considered white in America either.

Edit: And Greeks too @EL CORINTHIAN
I know some Greeks that could pass for middle eastern. You could say im pretty white but i definetley do not look anglo at all. If you were to look at me you could tell im Greek.

Heres a picture of me for reference btw
John-Stamos-john-stamos-24980390-500-375.jpg

giphy.gif

I know some Greeks that could pass for middle eastern. You could say im pretty white but i definetley do not look anglo at all. If you were to look at me you could tell im Greek.

giphy.gif

You're a very handsome man, I look like you with downs.

giphy.gif

You should have played Achilles!! Does this guy really look Greek to you?

886d61da1f61bc8e19365ecf23e65f43.jpg

People have been asking for Oprah to run, who is both underprivileged in race and gender. She would likely do better than the Cain train.

Yeah, but the point is she's not nearly as vile a person as Trump. If she behaved like Trump, was on her third marriage etc she would be torn to shreds.

When we start looking after each other the way blacks Mexicans and Jews do. That's when our privilege will kick in.

Just to play devils advocate, it begins in the womb. White babies get better nutrition, mother is more likely to take folate and pre natal vitamins, better screening and more likely to see a obgyn during the pregnancy, less likely to be a crack baby(though more likely to be born hooked on opiates).

Then, during the birthing process, the white baby is more likely to have an actual doctor that they know and have been seeing for months, and that doctor is probably better qualified.

After the birth, the baby is likely to have better nutrition, a more stable home environment, live in a home that will always have adequate heating and cooling, have its own room, and raised by two parents. And this continues throughout the baby’s life as it grows, gets a better education, and so on.

Now, is this white privilege, that the baby is more likely to be born into wealth or at least an socio-economic class that can provide all of its needs? Sure, there are plenty of poor, white trash that are not even capable of caring for a goldfish, much less a baby, but if you told me that you have a healthy, happy baby that is from a family it means-then asked me what race that child likely was-the answer would usually be from a white family.

Given all of those facts, of course the baby is set up to succeed in life. It’s much harder to do so if the child comes from a family filled with strife, and wonders whether “tonight will be a no dinner night.”

But again, is this what white privilege is? If so, I am proud to be raising my children in a white privilege family. I won’t ever feel guilt for how i raise my children, or that i was raised like that. But I also refuse to feel compelled to “just admit” that what I currently have is a result of privilege. Fuck that.

You need to get rid of that girlfriend, bro. Get yourself a hard working European that dedicates herself to making you happy and doesn't get involved in politics.

Just to play devils advocate, it begins in the womb. White babies get better nutrition, mother is more likely to take folate and pre natal vitamins, better screening and more likely to see a obgyn during the pregnancy, less likely to be a crack baby(though more likely to be born hooked on opiates).

Then, during the birthing process, the white baby is more likely to have an actual doctor that they know and have been seeing for months, and that doctor is probably better qualified.

After the birth, the baby is likely to have better nutrition, a more stable home environment, live in a home that will always have adequate heating and cooling, have its own room, and raised by two parents. And this continues throughout the baby’s life as it grows, gets a better education, and so on.

Now, is this white privilege, that the baby is more likely to be born into wealth or at least an socio-economic class that can provide all of its needs? Sure, there are plenty of poor, white trash that are not even capable of caring for a goldfish, much less a baby, but if you told me that you have a healthy, happy baby that is from a family it means-then asked me what race that child likely was-the answer would usually be from a white family.

Given all of those facts, of course the baby is set up to succeed in life. It’s much harder to do so if the child comes from a family filled with strife, and wonders whether “tonight will be a no dinner night.”

But again, is this what white privilege is? If so, I am proud to be raising my children in a white privilege family. I won’t ever feel guilt for how i raise my children, or that i was raised like that. But I also refuse to feel compelled to “just admit” that what I currently have is a result of privilege. Fuck that.

True. The issue is that people conflate unequal outcomes with discrimination. Most of the factors that lead to poorer outcomes are under the person's control: don't have kids out of wedlock, don't get involved in crime, get an education or learn a trade, foster a safe and convivial community, etc. The left's response is always to say that slavery happened, therefore all black community issues are forever and ever the fault of whites. It's not constructive at all. Not to mention that only a tiny percentage of whites owned slaves, yet they're laying this at the feet of random whites at large - based on nothing else but skin colour. Recent immigrant from Scandinavia? You're white, you're guilty. Descendent of Irish indentured servants? White skin, guilty. Never stepped foot in a black community, not involved at all in any of their affairs? Guilty. The whole rhetoric is pointless.

Hm, where I live at least being white means you're less likely to be suspected of being a criminal by the police. But that has statistical reasons. Blacks commit a lot more crime per capita, and no, it's not just because they're persecuted more by the police. There is data of the victims describing their assailants.
You're even less likely to be stopped by the police if you're a woman or asian. Asian women commit virtually no crimes.
Me personally as a caucasian looking person I still get stopped a lot by the police, either because I look especially mean and dangerous (unlikely) or because I look like a dork that they can exploit (more likely).

So, blacks should get their shit together, stop their crimes and we can discuss it in better terms. Because right now it makes a whole lot of sense to suspect of blacks and to avoid their neighborhoods.

A higher % of free blacks owned slaves then whites. Wouldn't that mean a higher % of blacks have directly benefited from slavery?
No, because most blacks were slaves.
1% of blacks were free. 10% of them owned slaves. 0.1% of blacks owned slaves.
100% of whites were free. 5% of them owned slaves. 5% of whites owned slaves.

No, because most blacks were slaves.
1% of blacks were free. 10% of them owned slaves. 0.1% of blacks owned slaves.
100% of whites were free. 5% of them owned slaves. 5% of whites owned slaves.

This makes sense. Thanks for correcting my, what now seems obvious to me, mistake

Not a troll attempt, for those who believe in such a thing. When do I get it? And in what form does it come?

I asked a now ex gf what my white privilege was and she said "have you been shot by a police officer?"

I said no which apparently meant I was in possession of white privilege.

Currently 29 (been white straight male all 29 years)

So when do I get it? Or do I already have it? Born with it?

Discuss.

i think too much is made of it, but it is undoubtedly real.

for example:

studies have shown that if two kids walk into the public school guidance counselor office, and both have a "C" average, the white kid will be steered toward college prep classes, while the kid of color will be steered toward vocational courses.

just by being born white you're more likely to be born into a family with all sorts of advantages financially. granted, there are poor white people, but this is an average. youre more likely to go to a school that gets funded.

convicted of the same crime, you're more likely to receive a lighter punishment.

Back