When does white privilege kick in?

White privilege is the privilege of being white in America, which in a lot of ways is better than being black, some of which is racism that is inherent in our culture and some of which is sadly sterotypes that continue to be propagated in popular culture by black people themselves such as gang culture. My real issue is that to me, white privilege isn't all that great, id rather have economic privilege. Make my parents a rich successful black couple over a trailer park white family any day of the week please.

White privilege is the privilege of being white in America, which in a lot of ways is better than being black, some of which is racism that is inherent in our culture and some of which is sadly sterotypes that continue to be propagated in popular culture by black people themselves such as gang culture. My real issue is that to me, white privilege isn't all that great, id rather have economic privilege. Make my parents a rich successful black couple over a trailer park white family any day of the week please.

This post completely sums up all rational perspectives on this issue.

Saying that there is white privilege doesn't necessarily mean all white people get the same benefits .
No, it does actually, because who are you labeling? Which white people? Only the ones that made a stable life for themselves? With their families and careers and stuff?

You see, people like you are one of the problems when we talk about racial tension in America. It does no good for anybody when you say a group of people have privilege because of the color of their skin. How is that going to help anything in this country besides make it worse? Sure the self hating white liberals like the current POTWR will go along with it but they're fake virtue signalers with no pride in themselves.

It's quite amusing this white privilige thing didn't show up til Barack did.

That's a little uncalled for, I think.

What we're really seeing is that for all the shit people give SJWs, a lot of people basically agree with ideas like "safe spaces," and especially "microaggressions." It's just that everyone thinks that when it's the other guys, it's a joke, and when it's your own grievances, it's justified.

I think that generally, living together peacefully means requires an effort not to take offense AND an effort not to give it gratuitously. I tend to agree that people who huff and puff about the concept of privilege (or only white privilege) should chill out, but more than that, they should realize that if they're going to say "fuck your feelings" to everyone else, they should toughen up themselves. But that also goes for people who respond aggressively to people who get triggered by the phrase.

Unless he's a child and just isn't great at expressing himself, TS wasn't trying to engage in serious discussion. There was no need for me to engage seriously, and sometimes I like to verbally abuse strangers on the internet.

Race actually cancels out economic privilege to a significant degree.

Here's Brookings:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/economic-mobility-of-black-and-white-families/

And that's just economics. Differential treatment by the criminal justice and educational systems are also only partly canceled out by wealth differences. And even doctors treat white patients differently. Not to mention that historical discriminatory economic policy plays into wealth and income gaps (especially wealth).

The real controversy should be over the question, "what if anything does one do with this information?" I think it's kind of like climate change in that the right doesn't really like any of the proposed solutions (carbon taxes? cap and trade? Environmental regs?) so people just try to deny the existence of the problem.

There was this v
Honestly, the "civil" part doesn't mean as much to me as the "conversation" part. If someone really wants to know and still disagrees, it can get heated and people on both sides of the discussion can think poorly of the other side (maybe even rightly), but it would still be useful, productive, and most importantly, interesting.

But different people come here for different reasons, and it's pretty clear that a lot of people just want affirmation that others think like they do or to vent their anger at avatars of broad forces or types of person that they resent.

This is actually a great point.

Many who posit certain topics and threads have no intention in a free and open exchange of ideas, and like you said, are just seeking affirmation or venting.

WHy do you come here Jack?

This is actually a great point.

Many who posit certain topics and threads have no intention in a free and open exchange of ideas, and like you said, are just seeking affirmation or venting.

WHy do you come here Jack?

Addiction, maybe? :) But also I like to hash things out. Helps me learn better (both listening to potential challenges to my point of view and having to articulate my own thoughts in a simple and logically sound way and to look stuff up). I feel like it keeps me sharp mentally. Staring at spreadsheets all day or reading stuff for work can be boring, and I feel the need to break it up with something more fun. While it sounds silly, on some level, I probably feel that challenging bullshit makes the world a better place. Mainly the first thing, though.

I think I probably change my mind much more before making a post than after reading challenges to something, though. Like if I see something that sounds wrong, and I have an idea in mind, but I do some research and find that I was wrong (more often that the thing that sounded wrong was, but that my thinking was also wrong). But I wouldn't have done the research without the inspiration from the bad post.

White people generally had thicker skin before Obama cam along and made them feel so damned inferior. We don't even have ideological conservatives any more, just bitter white folks. You could sell these people anything to make the pain go away.

No, it does actually, because who are you labeling? Which white people? Only the ones that made a stable life for themselves? With their families and careers and stuff?

You see, people like you are one of the problems when we talk about racial tension in America. It does no good for anybody when you say a group of people have privilege because of the color of their skin. How is that going to help anything in this country besides make it worse? Sure the self hating white liberals like the current POTWR will go along with it but they're fake virtue signalers with no pride in themselves.

It's quite amusing this white privilige thing didn't show up til Barack did.

Dude, read slower and think. You misread any post written above a 5th grade level. Read the words he is actually saying and try to understand them before responding.

Addiction, maybe? :) But also I like to hash things out. Helps me learn better (both listening to potential challenges to my point of view and having to articulate my own thoughts in a simple and logically sound way and to look stuff up). I feel like it keeps me sharp mentally. Staring at spreadsheets all day or reading stuff for work can be boring, and I feel the need to break it up with something more fun. While it sounds silly, on some level, I probably feel that challenging bullshit makes the world a better place. Mainly the first thing, though.

I think I probably change my mind much more before making a post than after reading challenges to something, though. Like if I see something that sounds wrong, and I have an idea in mind, but I do some research and find that I was wrong (more often that the thing that sounded wrong was, but that my thinking was also wrong). But I wouldn't have done the research without the inspiration from the bad post.

Yea, I find myself coming here for a host of reasons.

1) Entertainment. the sherdog forum often makes tedious days at work bearable.

2) Conversation, the light hearted variety.

3) Debate, (I often, unfortunately just REACT to the thread title, without having read the article or sources linked. @nac386 has called me on that several times. fuck that guy btw.

4) and Information, believe it or not. I often discover news stories on this forum, that aren't typically covered in MSM.

Dude, read slower and think. You misread any post written above a 5th grade level. Read the words he is actually saying and try to understand them before responding.
I know I triggered you with my post and now you are giving him an easy out with your low IQ analysis/response.

Why are Asians able to overcome this and become the highest group per capita in income along with education. You never hear about Asian "privilege" because it doesn't exist. Asians place education very high on their priority list. Hell, Japanese Americans were discriminated against big time during world war 2. White privilege is just an excuse to blame for your own shortcomings. Look at Asians compared to African Americans, both very different cultures that value different things. So the question is, why are Asians Americans able to overcome this but African Americans/Hispanics aren't?

Race actually cancels out economic privilege to a significant degree.

Here's Brookings:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/economic-mobility-of-black-and-white-families/

And that's just economics. Differential treatment by the criminal justice and educational systems are also only partly canceled out by wealth differences. And even doctors treat white patients differently. Not to mention that historical discriminatory economic policy plays into wealth and income gaps (especially wealth).

The real controversy should be over the question, "what if anything does one do with this information?" I think it's kind of like climate change in that the right doesn't really like any of the proposed solutions (carbon taxes? cap and trade? Environmental regs?) so people just try to deny the existence of the problem.

Honestly, id take that all into account, and id still choose to be wealthy than white. The thing that sticks out to me in these debates is, as you said, on side wants to deny the problem because its troublesome to deal with, but the other side usually wants to magnify the problem and make it sound worse that it actually is. Any real resolution comes from two groups/people that realize they are both partly to blame for the problem and/or see their part in the creation of barriers to fixing said problem. There is no black and white bad or good guy. It's a matter of ego, and that's a human problem. Even in that article I could cherry-pick some points as a counter argument that black people are bringing this on themselves due to their culture, such as poor economic performance being due in some part to the low marriage rate of black males and females who are having kids. And it's a fair point, that is a problem in the black community not caused by whitey, but whitey do cause some problems. It's a grey area and no one is willing to admit they're might be partially wrong, too much on the line.

Also, I just had this random thought. I would rather be wealthy than white, but that is if I got to be the same person I am. Make me the same deal but tell me I have to fully integrate into say black gangster culture, I would be more apprehensive.

I know I triggered you with my post and now you are giving him an easy out with your low IQ analysis/response.

Do you have a learning disability? I'm not trolling. Lots of people do, especially men, so it makes sense that some Sherdoggers would. Just read slower in the future.

Why are Asians able to overcome this and become the highest group per capita in income along with education. You never hear about Asian "privilege" because it doesn't exist. Asians place education very high on their priority list. Hell, Japanese Americans were discriminated against big time during world war 2. White privilege is just an excuse to blame for your own shortcomings. Look at Asians compared to African Americans, both very different cultures that value different things. So the question is, why are Asians Americans able to overcome this but African Americans/Hispanics aren't?

I think this is well explained by history and distance. America is far from Asia, so the Asians that make it here have to have the resources to book a flight and the expertise, social connections, or simply good standing to get a visa and make a living here. If you were to ask people in Asia if Chinese people value education and hard work, you wouldn't hear the same positive stereotypes that you'd hear about Chinese people in America. Immigrants from far away places tend to be high achieving in every country. Conversely, Mexicans have a much better reputation in Europe and Asia than they do in America because the Mexicans that make it to those countries are pretty well off.

As for black americans, I would think the answer is pretty obvious.

Reading the War Room must keep you awash with inspiration, then.

White people generally had thicker skin before Obama cam along and made them feel so damned inferior. We don't even have ideological conservatives any more, just bitter white folks. You could sell these people anything to make the pain go away.
Including tons and tons of opiates.

So the question is, why are Asians Americans able to overcome this but African Americans/Hispanics aren't?

Selective immigration.

Look up Nigerian Americans. Or contrast Indian Americans with Indians.

Honestly, id take that all into account, and id still choose to be wealthy than white.

That's fine. Wealth also conveys privilege. Just saying that racial privilege in America is also very powerful separate from economic considerations.

The thing that sticks out to me in these debates is, as you said, on side wants to deny the problem because its troublesome to deal with, but the other side usually wants to magnify the problem and make it sound worse that it actually is.

See, I can't even remember the last time I read any left-leaning pundit I read even bring it up. This thread was started by someone who was complaining about the concept and the vast majority of responses are me-tooing him.

Any real resolution comes from two groups/people that realize they are both partly to blame for the problem and/or see their part in the creation of barriers to fixing said problem.

What I'd like to see is an active attempt to fight discrimination in the legal system, including more federal oversight. With regard to something like doctor and teacher/school administrator bias, I think simply studying the issue and publicizing the results can encourage self-improvement innovations among individual actors, and those can be spread. The tricky one is wealth--I think in general (not race-related), we should try to de-emphasize the importance of intergenerational wealth transfers by things like taxing large estates much more and ensuring college affordability broadly. IOW--good policy naturally helps reduce the scope of the problem.

Back