Rewatched my 2017 FOTY (Canelo/GGG)

Yeah, I had Canelo winning by a round I think.

Fans gave Golovkin too much credit for being the guy coming forward. He got outboxed pretty clear IMO.

I mean, yeah, it was close and as has been said, a close Golovkin win wouldn't have been controversial, but a lot of people think that one funny scorecard makes it OK to dismiss what happened in the fight.

I had it 7-5 canelo live. Draw rewatch. Canelos defence was phenomenal that night. Made him miss so much.
Agreed. The number of crisp clean power shots Golovkin landed could be counted with your fingers.

There is a difference between a close fight and a draw. How people argue the close fight into a draw is beyond me.

It's way harder to give Canelo the win in that fight than GGG. 8-4 or 7-5 for GGG. Even the draw is a bit perplexing.

Though, I've been over all this before so this thread is just going to stir up the existing biases that went into dormancy until now.

7-5 Canelo on first watch, 7-5 Canelo on the other watch. The harder shots, defense and ring generalship that made Golovkin chase him and Canelo could choose when resting on the ropes more than he should've been able to. GGG brought the pressure and his jab gave Canelo problems. I understand why people thought GGG won but I didn't see enough effective pressure nor did I see enough good power shots to give him more than 5 rounds. That does not say that I would have cried if Gennady would have won 7-5. I was fine with the draw, I loved the fight (FOTY17 for me) and I hope they'll fight again, the sooner the better.

Is this all that controversial?

There is a difference between a close fight and a draw. How people argue the close fight into a draw is beyond me.

It's way harder to give Canelo the win in that fight than GGG. 8-4 or 7-5 for GGG. Even the draw is a bit perplexing.

Though, I've been over all this before so this thread is just going to stir up the existing biases that went into dormancy until now.
In your opinion.

People base too much on a fighter's perceived power, IMO. I think thats the only way to really give Golovkin the fight, by assuming he hits harder in a close round. I think thats shit judging. Not accusing you directly of it, just saying, its a pretty common sentiment.

7-5 Canelo on first watch, 7-5 Canelo on the other watch. The harder shots, defense and ring generalship that made Golovkin chase him and Canelo could choose when resting on the ropes more than he should've been able to. GGG brought the pressure and his jab gave Canelo problems. I understand why people thought GGG won but I didn't see enough effective pressure nor did I see enough good power shots to give him more than 5 rounds. That does not say that I would have cried if Gennady would have won 7-5. I was fine with the draw, I loved the fight (FOTY17 for me) and I hope they'll fight again, the sooner the better.

Is this all that controversial?
Because of the one wide score card, yes. People just pretend its controversial for different reasons than it is.

Canelo blew it. He was clearly the better boxer but ran out of puff and did little to sweet fuck all after four rounds.

Canelo blew it. He was clearly the better boxer but ran out of puff and did little to sweet fuck all after four rounds.
I had him winning round 6, I believe, and a couple of the later rounds too.

I had him winning round 6, I believe, and a couple of the later rounds too.
Yeah I think I gave him one.

But what I mean is the first four rounds it looked like it was a non contest. Canelo looked far superior, Imo. Then the rest of the fight happened and in my eyes he ran out of puff and blew it.

Actually he doesn't run out of puff, it looked like he fought as though he is saving his energy.

After round four he fought in little spots in each round.

<{outtahere}>

While watching the PPV I scored it 8-4 GGG. I've rewatched the fight 3x sober and have scored it 7-5 GGG every time. I didn't think a draw was a robbery.

Actually he doesn't run out of puff, it looked like he fought as though he is saving his energy.

After round four he fought in little spots in each round.
He fought a 12 rnd fight. I gave Canelo 1-3, 7, and 10-12. I gave GGG the benefit of the doubt on one round the last time I watched, but I feel confident saying GGG won at LEAST 5 rnds. Draw was totally fine in my eyes.

He fought a 12 rnd fight. I gave Canelo 1-3, 7, and 10-12. I gave GGG the benefit of the doubt on one round the last time I watched, but I feel confident saying GGG won at LEAST 5 rnds. Draw was totally fine in my eyes.
Yeah I'm fine with the draw.

I wasn't fine with the one Judge seeming to already have the score figured out. Makes it harder to win a fight.

No, if I scored it the way YOU THINK I should have scored it.

"You" does not necessarily mean you the user. It's an impersonal denomenator. How is it possible to NOT win when you are in control half the fight, and picked up a round or two before that? Canelo winning the last round is still not enough.

"You" does not necessarily mean you the user. It's an impersonal denomenator. How is it possible to NOT win when you are in control half the fight, and picked up a round or two before that? Canelo winning the last round is still not enough.
He wasn't really in control. I mean, here and there sure, I agreed it was close but Golovkin certainly didn't dominate. He was unable to adjust and just looked for the same combo over and over again.

Personally, I had it very similar to what Don Trella had except I also gave Canelo round 6.

Back