Romero cheated against Kennedy narrative

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Everyone get in here and let's settle this once and for all.

Morons posting nonsense without knowing the facts is nothing new on sherdog, but I dont think I've ever seen a topic discussed where so many people are so blatantly wrong about something, yet they keep repeating despite all the evidence being right there to prove them wrong.

So what happened in that fight for those that didn't see it.

ROUND 1

Romero lands several good punches and Kennedy quickly has blood leaking from his nose. Romero stuffs his takedown attempts, take him down hard, lets him back up, bloodies him up some more.

Clear 10-9 round for Romero

JSMc.gif

ROUND 2

Yoel is blocking and avoiding pretty much anything Kennedy attempts to him him with, while making him pay with his own strikes here and there. Kennedy gets stuffed on several takedown attempts and pulls guard. Yoel stands up, a few more exchanges, then with about 10 seconds left Kennedy slips his fingers inside Yoel's glove, and as Yoel's trying to back away Kennedy illegally holds the glove for a few moments while landing his only significant offense of the fight. The round ends with Yoel rocked, and both fighters go to their corners.

7KdSZyL.jpg

So there it is, the only actual infraction committed by a fighter in that fight.

Now comes the part where dummies say Romero cheated.

The time allowed between the rounds ends and corner men are instructed to get out so the third round can begin. Kennedy is in his corner jumping up and down making a big fuss because he knows he's getting his ass handed to him and his only chance in hell is if Yoel is still rocked and he can capitalize. But Big John instructs Yoel to stay on the stool and call the UFC cutman back in to wipe him down because there was too much vaseline... THE UFC CUTMAN made the mistake, Dana himself said it, Big John said it, I think even Kennedy admitted it eventually.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-27-at-8.13.29-PM-1024x560.png

ROUND 3

There is an extra 20 second delay because of this, and when the third round finally begins Yoel proceeds to punch Kennedy out and win the fight.

giphy.gif

So again, THE REF instructed Yoel to stay on his stool, and it was Kennedy's cheating that lead to him being hurt in the first place, yet here we are 4 years later, and there's still dummies running around telling a completely warped version of these events.

Is this some Mandela effect thing I'm having where I'm remembering this event differently?

Last edited:
He did cheat or at least showed incredibly poor sportsmanship and he did it against Weidman too. That bs he pulled in the corner totally messed with The Chris and threw him off. It changed the entire fight. It's gross how Romero and his corner got away with no consequences for that crap they kept pulling.

even with Big John making a statement saying it wasn't Yoels fault ppl are still saying he cheated. It's almost mind blowing how ignorant sherdoggers can be.

He did cheat or at least showed incredibly poor sportsmanship and he did it against Weidman too. That bs he pulled in the corner totally messed with The Chris and threw him off. It changed the entire fight. It's gross how Romero and his corner got away with no consequences for that crap they kept pulling.

A swing and a miss.....

He milked the stool man... just stop. There’s no innocence here.

Whineddy was more salty than Luke after that fight, but homie cheated with the glove-grab as well, so shit is level.

Yoel beat his ass in the end.

Nothing is ever Romero's fault, right? Always just a victim of circumstance.

Stoolgate: he got fouled first that makes it ok!
Grabs fence and robs jacare: he won the fight anyway with the knockdown, pride rules bro!
USADA: Tainted supplement he was exonerated!
Misses weight against Rockhold: It was short notice! He'd definitely make weight if he had a full camp! He deserves the title shot!
Misses weight against Whittaker: It was the commission who stopped him! He was robbed!

Romero is a bit of a shifty guy IMO. Super talented, incredible fighter and very charismatic in his own way, but man, people somehow think this guy has no agency of his own.

Last edited:
Lol and here's one of those ignorant sherdoggers I was talking about
Name calling... aren’t you a badass.

There’s a difference of opinion, nothing more. I think it’s a case of Romero lacking professional courtesy, I never said cheating. All fighters know that lingering on the stool is in bad taste.

Name calling... aren’t you a badass.

There’s a difference of opinion, nothing more. I think it’s a case of Romero lacking professional courtesy, I never said cheating. All fighters know that lingering on the stool is in bad taste.
He was told to stay on the stool by big John. How hard is this to understand?

Everyone get in here and let's settle this once and for all.

Morons posting nonsense without knowing the facts is nothing new on sherdog, but I dont think I've ever seen a topic discussed where so many people are so blatantly wrong about something, yet they keep repeating despite all the evidence being right there to prove them wrong.

So what happened in that fight for those that didn't see it.

ROUND 1

Romero lands several good punches and Kennedy quickly has blood leaking from his nose. Romero stuffs his takedown attempts, take him down hard, lets him back up, bloodies him up some more.

Clear 10-9 round for Romero

JSMc.gif

ROUND 2

Yoel is blocking and avoiding pretty much anything Kennedy attempts to him him with, while making him pay with his own strikes here and there. Kennedy gets stuffed on several takedown attempts and pulls guard. Yoel stands up, a few more exchanges, then with about 10 seconds left Kennedy slips his fingers inside Yoel's glove, and as Yoel's trying to back away Kennedy illegally holds the glove for a few moments while landing his only significant offense of the fight. The round ends with Yoel rocked, and both fighters go to their corners.

7KdSZyL.jpg

So there it is, the only actual infraction committed by a fighter in that fight.

Now comes the part where dummies say Romero cheated.

The time allowed between the rounds ends and corner men are instructed to get out so the third round can begin. Kennedy is in his corner jumping up and down making a big fuss because he knows he's getting his ass handed to him and his only chance in hell is if Yoel is still rocked and he can capitalize. But Big John instructs Yoel to stay where he is and calls his corner back in to wipe him down.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-27-at-8.13.29-PM-1024x560.png

ROUND 3

There is an extra 20 second delay because of this, and when the third round finally begins Yoel proceeds to punch Kennedy out and win the fight.

giphy.gif

So again, THE REF instructed Yoel to stay on his stool, and it was Kennedy's cheating that lead to him being hurt in the first place, yet here we are 4 years later, and there's still dummies running around telling a completely warped version of these events.

Is this some Mandela effect thing I'm having where I'm remembering this event differently?
<mma3>

There's literally a video of Big John discussing it and it just gets completely ignored
I honestly am truly baffled how ppl can say Yoel cheated when Big jon literally says he told Yoel to stay seated. It's honestly reached a new level of stupidity I thought I'd never see.

He was told to stay on the stool by big John. How hard is the to understand?
If that’s literally backed by a real quote, ‘That I told Romero: “to stay seated,”’ rather than ‘stay there’ as usually instructed to fighters on opposing sides of the cage, I suppose it would be John’s fk up. Did John specifically say “stay on stool”? Link the actual quote by John please. Until I see this quote there was nothing stopping Romero from standing in place.

I like Kennedy more than Romero, but Tim was dirty as hell in this fight with the glove-grabbing, and got instant karma for it.

Nothing is ever Romero's fault, right? Always just a victim of circumstance.

Stoolgate: he got fouled first that makes it ok!
Grabs fence and robs jacare: he won the fight anyway with the knockdown, pride rules bro!
USADA: Tainted supplement he was exonerated!
Misses weight against Rockhold: It was short notice! He'd definitely make weight if he had a full camp! He deserves the title shot!
Misses weight against Whittaker: It was the commission who stopped him! He was robbed!

Romero is a bit of a shifty guy IMO. Super talented, incredible fighter and very charismatic in his own way, but man, people somehow think this guy has no agency of his own.
2/5, and both weight misses. It's just time to go to 205 for the tree stump. Kinda want to see him against Latifi.

Romero has found some way to cheat in almost every UFC fight he's had.

Yoel Romero has actually never cheated. It is a myth thrown around Sherdog that I once believed, but changed my mind in spite of overwhelming evidence in favor of The Soldier of God

Back