Romero cheated against Kennedy narrative

Nothing is ever Romero's fault, right? Always just a victim of circumstance.

Stoolgate: he got fouled first that makes it ok!
Grabs fence and robs jacare: he won the fight anyway with the knockdown, pride rules bro!
USADA: Tainted supplement he was exonerated!
Misses weight against Rockhold: It was short notice! He'd definitely make weight if he had a full camp! He deserves the title shot!
Misses weight against Whittaker: It was the commission who stopped him! He was robbed!

Romero is a bit of a shifty guy IMO. Super talented, incredible fighter and very charismatic in his own way, but man, people somehow think this guy has no agency of his own.

Thanks for bringing that to light read this @RawkyMarciano

You can clearly hear Yoel tell his cornerman to pour the water on his body when his corner man is giving him water.

The reason big John told him to stay seated was because after his cornermen did the slowest walk out a cage ever, they had to come back in to towel off the water from his body.

Yoel cheated, so just stop with this shit already.

You can clearly hear Yoel tell his cornerman to pour the water on his body when his corner man is giving him water.

The reason big John told him to stay seated was because after his cornermen did the slowest walk out a cage ever, they had to come back in to towel off the water from his body.

Talk about the glove grab a bit.

When someone gets hit with illegal strikes should they not be given the time to recover?

The whole situation started because the cutman put too much vaseline on Romero. It's important to underline that the cornerman is not a part of a fighter's team, which is exactly why he is the only one allowed to handle the vaseline since GSP's greasegate. People also don't realize that the breaks are never a minute long, there is always more time than that between the referee's break and when he restarts the action, Romero didn't even profit from an unusual amount of time.

Kennedy bullshited by inventing a rule that fighter must answer the bell immediately (what bell?) and that he heard Romero mumbled "no mas" (as if he'd hear that across the octagon in a live arena).

Thanks for bringing that to light

Yep. You're spot on, I used to deny these facts as well, but then I rewatched the fight.

As much as I love Tim, Yoel was clearly the better fighter, honestly what Kennedy did was pretty fucked up, one of the most impactful examples of "cheating" I've seen honestly.

Crazy Yoel is the one that gets a ton of shit for it lmao. People just don't like him, I don't get it.

Talk about the glove grab a bit.

When someone gets hit with illegal strikes should they not be given the time to recover?

If the rules say so, then yes. If John seen it and stopped it, yes. If Yoel wants to ask for water to be thrown over him, then no.

Everyone get in here and let's settle this once and for all.

Morons posting nonsense without knowing the facts is nothing new on sherdog, but I dont think I've ever seen a topic discussed where so many people are so blatantly wrong about something, yet they keep repeating despite all the evidence being right there to prove them wrong.

So what happened in that fight for those that didn't see it.

ROUND 1

Romero lands several good punches and Kennedy quickly has blood leaking from his nose. Romero stuffs his takedown attempts, take him down hard, lets him back up, bloodies him up some more.

Clear 10-9 round for Romero

JSMc.gif

ROUND 2

Yoel is blocking and avoiding pretty much anything Kennedy attempts to him him with, while making him pay with his own strikes here and there. Kennedy gets stuffed on several takedown attempts and pulls guard. Yoel stands up, a few more exchanges, then with about 10 seconds left Kennedy slips his fingers inside Yoel's glove, and as Yoel's trying to back away Kennedy illegally holds the glove for a few moments while landing his only significant offense of the fight. The round ends with Yoel rocked, and both fighters go to their corners.

7KdSZyL.jpg

So there it is, the only actual infraction committed by a fighter in that fight.

Now comes the part where dummies say Romero cheated.

The time allowed between the rounds ends and corner men are instructed to get out so the third round can begin. Kennedy is in his corner jumping up and down making a big fuss because he knows he's getting his ass handed to him and his only chance in hell is if Yoel is still rocked and he can capitalize. But Big John instructs Yoel to stay where he is and calls his corner back in to wipe him down.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-27-at-8.13.29-PM-1024x560.png

ROUND 3

There is an extra 20 second delay because of this, and when the third round finally begins Yoel proceeds to punch Kennedy out and win the fight.

giphy.gif

So again, THE REF instructed Yoel to stay on his stool, and it was Kennedy's cheating that lead to him being hurt in the first place, yet here we are 4 years later, and there's still dummies running around telling a completely warped version of these events.

Is this some Mandela effect thing I'm having where I'm remembering this event differently?

A brave American fleeing from the Cuban enemy

yoel-romero-punches-tim-kennedy-in-their-middleweight-fight-during-picture-id456280652

I honestly am truly baffled how ppl can say Yoel cheated when Big jon literally says he told Yoel to stay seated. It's honestly reached a new level of stupidity I thought I'd never see.
It was because his corner threw water all over him and the mat and they had to dry him, his team knew better.

Yoel never cheated, even big John made a statement it wasn't Yoels fault.

Name calling... aren’t you a badass.

There’s a difference of opinion, nothing more. I think it’s a case of Romero lacking professional courtesy, I never said cheating. All fighters know that lingering on the stool is in bad taste.
well said. i agree. he knew what he was doing

This has been settled for years and even McCarthy, on several occasions, has clarified what happened. It's willful ignorance at this point if you claim that Romero or his corner were in the wrong for there being about a 15 second longer break than normal in between the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but willful ignorance has never been in short supply among MMA fans.

He milked the stool man... just stop. There’s no innocence here.

It was because his corner threw water all over him and the mat and they had to dry him, his team knew better.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, people wanting something to be true and convincing themselves to the point where it becomes reality to them.

THE UFC CUTMAN put too much vaseline on Yoel and BJM told him to come back and wipe it off, so NOT YOEL, NOT HIS CORNER but A UFC EMPLOYEE

So again, the short story.

1. Romero is owning Kennedy for the first two rounds

2. At the end of the 2nd round Kennedy illegally holds Romero's glove to land his only significant strikes of the fight

3. While the fighters are in their corners between rounds, the UFC cutman puts too much vaseline on Yoel

4. The round is supposed to start but now BJM is calling the cutman back in to clean off the vaseline

5. When Yoel is instructed to answer the bell he does so

But hey, let's not let a silly thing like facts fuck up you fantasies.

Everyone get in here and let's settle this once and for all.

Morons posting nonsense without knowing the facts is nothing new on sherdog, but I dont think I've ever seen a topic discussed where so many people are so blatantly wrong about something, yet they keep repeating despite all the evidence being right there to prove them wrong.

So what happened in that fight for those that didn't see it.

ROUND 1

Romero lands several good punches and Kennedy quickly has blood leaking from his nose. Romero stuffs his takedown attempts, take him down hard, lets him back up, bloodies him up some more.

Clear 10-9 round for Romero

JSMc.gif

ROUND 2

Yoel is blocking and avoiding pretty much anything Kennedy attempts to him him with, while making him pay with his own strikes here and there. Kennedy gets stuffed on several takedown attempts and pulls guard. Yoel stands up, a few more exchanges, then with about 10 seconds left Kennedy slips his fingers inside Yoel's glove, and as Yoel's trying to back away Kennedy illegally holds the glove for a few moments while landing his only significant offense of the fight. The round ends with Yoel rocked, and both fighters go to their corners.

7KdSZyL.jpg

So there it is, the only actual infraction committed by a fighter in that fight.

Now comes the part where dummies say Romero cheated.

The time allowed between the rounds ends and corner men are instructed to get out so the third round can begin. Kennedy is in his corner jumping up and down making a big fuss because he knows he's getting his ass handed to him and his only chance in hell is if Yoel is still rocked and he can capitalize. But Big John instructs Yoel to stay on the stool and call the UFC cutman back in to wipe him down because there was too much vaseline... THE UFC CUTMAN made the mistake, Dana himself said it, Big John said it, I think even Kennedy admitted it eventually.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-27-at-8.13.29-PM-1024x560.png

ROUND 3

There is an extra 20 second delay because of this, and when the third round finally begins Yoel proceeds to punch Kennedy out and win the fight.

giphy.gif

So again, THE REF instructed Yoel to stay on his stool, and it was Kennedy's cheating that lead to him being hurt in the first place, yet here we are 4 years later, and there's still dummies running around telling a completely warped version of these events.

Is this some Mandela effect thing I'm having where I'm remembering this event differently?

nah, the ref was telling romero to get up off his stool, and romero did not follow instruction. THAT IS WHEN THE REF SHOULD'VE CALLED THE FIGHT. Then the ref went over and and saw the Vaseline.

Combine that with the positive PED test and all the missed weigh-ins and romero should be cut. Cheater extraordinaire.

nah, the ref was telling romero to get up off his stool, and romero did not follow instruction. THAT IS WHEN THE REF SHOULD'VE CALLED THE FIGHT. Then the ref went over and and saw the Vaseline.

Combine that with the positive PED test and all the missed weigh-ins and romero should be cut. Cheater extraordinaire.
No.

The facts have been presented to you, there's literal quotes of Big John saying otherwise, yet your hateful bum heart still cant accept it. You're a muppet.

No.

The facts have been presented to you, there's literal quotes of Big John saying otherwise, yet your hateful bum heart still cant accept it. You're a muppet.

lol, mad. no belt for PED positive romero

Nothing is ever Romero's fault, right? Always just a victim of circumstance.

Stoolgate: he got fouled first that makes it ok!
Grabs fence and robs jacare: he won the fight anyway with the knockdown, pride rules bro!
USADA: Tainted supplement he was exonerated!
Misses weight against Rockhold: It was short notice! He'd definitely make weight if he had a full camp! He deserves the title shot!
Misses weight against Whittaker: It was the commission who stopped him! He was robbed!

Romero is a bit of a shifty guy IMO. Super talented, incredible fighter and very charismatic in his own way, but man, people somehow think this guy has no agency of his own.

Agreed. People who find themselves in constant controversy are never 100% innocent.

Back