President Trump: Creation of Space Force, 6th Branch of US Military

Seriously though, this will end poorly for humanity.
But right in line with history.

No way we were getting our shit together before sending warships off the planet and into the solar system.

Someone prob found a shit ton of gold on Mars.

Gonna be a pretty boring military unit

The Outer Space Treaty represents the basic legal framework of international space law. Among its principles, it bars states party to the treaty from placing weapons of mass destruction in Earth orbit, installing them on the Moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise stationing them in outer space. It exclusively limits the use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for testing weapons of any kind, conducting military maneuvers, or establishing military bases, installations, and fortifications (Article IV).

Gonna be a pretty boring military unit

The Outer Space Treaty represents the basic legal framework of international space law. Among its principles, it bars states party to the treaty from placing weapons of mass destruction in Earth orbit, installing them on the Moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise stationing them in outer space. It exclusively limits the use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for testing weapons of any kind, conducting military maneuvers, or establishing military bases, installations, and fortifications (Article IV).
Pretty sure Trump is alpha enough to wipe his ass with that 20th century treaty

Seriously though, I was wondering when this was going to brought up.

What's going on here?

Was someone making plans to blow up the moon again?

Australia and Canada dont get to play

They’re the chihuahuas of countries, yap a lot but no one pays attention

Was someone making plans to blow up the moon again?
ChairfaceMoon_main.jpg

Chairface Chippendale tried to carve his name on it once. Was stopped before his name was on it.

Starting at 11:37

President Trump has announced a DOD directive to establish a 6th branch of the US Military, a US Space Force. The dimension of Space is currently run by US Strategic Command (4-Star General Command) via the Joint Space Operations Center and Air Force Space Command (both 3-Star Commands).

I find this is to be incredibly interesting, and I'd like to see how this develops. At present, I'm a bit skeptical of the need for a Space Force. The reason for that is because I'm asking myself the following questions:
1. First and foremost, is there a function that isn't being performed that should be?
2. If not, is there a function that isn't being performed to the level that is appropriate? By this I mean something to the effect of, "Do we have 4 guys assigned to a task that we should have several thousand assigned to?"
3. Is there another country that is either challenging US space supremacy and is on track to challenge US space supremacy?
4. Could the duties of a US Space Force be adopted by an existing US military branch (probably the Air Force, as they pretty much do all the space stuff nowadays anyways) that already has existing processes, procedures, and infrastructure? A US Space Force would still need human resources folks, IT personnel, a medical staff, lawyers, truck drivers to move stuff around, military police, forces to guard facilities and launch pads like the Air Force Security Forces do for airstrips, and more. Does it make sense to recreate the wheel in a separate military branch instead of piggybacking off of existing military branches, using their personnel and processes?

On the other hand, it could lead to more space missions that get humans to Mars and beyond, lead to the establishment of colonies on other planets, capture American wonder (and get us thinking about the future instead of living in the past, something I fear that we do a lot these days), and create a ton of opportunities.

I guess the whole thing would really need to be fleshed out more before I pass any meaningful judgment, but what say you?

It has to be done sooner or later, but we are a long ways off from being able to amass a significant "space force." The prospect of escalation of space military technology against countries like Russia is a little unsettling, but again probably necessary.

Oh yeah, nothing says "I wanna keep the peace" like screaming "HAY GUISE, LET'S WEAPONIZE SPACE!"

You could easily use your logic to destroy the Constitution, but you're obviously too fucking stupid to see where your puerile bullshit falls apart. It's almost like you idiots have never heard of SDI and the huge international shitshow (and near war) that turned out to be.

Space is already weaponized to an extent, and if we don't get a jump on that technology to defend ourselves other nations will.

Space is already weaponized to an extent, and if we don't get a jump on that technology to defend ourselves other nations will.

What weapons are deployed in space?

What weapons are deployed in space?

There are nations who already have the ability to destroy satellites in space. Think about what we do with some of those satellites and what kind of situation those satellites being destroyed by another nation might cause.

There are nations who already have the ability to destroy satellites in space. Think about what we do with some of those satellites and what kind of situation those satellites being destroyed by another nation might cause.

That's not "weaponizing space" given that the vehicle is often missiles launched from the earth. If that's the burden of proof we're talking about then the OST was needless as space was always weaponized. In fact, our very first space vehicle (the PGM-11 Redstone) was a re-purposed ballistic missile, so we're literally taking the 1950s here.

That's not "weaponizing space" given that the vehicle is often missiles launched from the earth. If that's the burden of proof we're talking about then the OST was needless as space was always weaponized. In fact, our very first space vehicle (the PGM-11 Redstone) was a re-purposed ballistic missile, so we're literally taking the 1950s here.

Regardless of whether something can be launched from the ground or from space, the prospect still makes it necessary to stay ahead of the game with technology (form a military standpoint).

I question whether or not it was really necessary to advertise our intention to escalate to the public though. Maybe it's not something we can really hide any longer, but as another poster suggested maybe keeping it special ops would have been the better option.

Regardless of whether something can be launched from the ground or from space, the prospect still makes it necessary to stay ahead of the game with technology (form a military standpoint).

I question whether or not it was really necessary to advertise our intention to escalate to the public though. Maybe it's not something we can really hide any longer, but as another poster suggested maybe keeping it special ops would have been the better option.

Only problem is that whole international treaty about not weaponizing space that we kinda ratified.

Kinda hard to create a space army when you explicitly said you wouldn't do that. If we make actual moves to do so, we're going to face widespread international censure from allies and enemies alike. It's a needless escalation that only further serves to drive the point home that our word as a country isn't worth absolute shit. You guys have no idea the damage that's being done not only to our international standing, but our ability to even negotiate within that international framework. We already had one dipshit in here saying that he would piss on the constitution if it was expedient for him, we're just gonna concede the credibility of the US as well as any calls for peace too, huh?

space force sounds like a really cheesy 80s SciFi fantasy movie

Only problem is that whole international treaty about not weaponizing space that we kinda ratified.

Kinda hard to create a space army when you explicitly said you wouldn't do that. If we make actual moves to do so, we're going to face widespread international censure from allies and enemies alike. It's a needless escalation that only further serves to drive the point home that our word as a country isn't worth absolute shit. You guys have no idea the damage that's being done not only to our international standing, but our ability to even negotiate within that international framework. We already had one dipshit in here saying that he would piss on the constitution if it was expedient for him, we're just gonna concede the credibility of the US as well as any calls for peace too, huh?

I completely agree that creating a "space army" would be in conflict with a treaty agreement not to weaponize space (unless there is something the public does not know about our enemies already doing that). It's definitely an interesting choice to announce it on television rather than keeping any military research in space covert.

"We're going to build a Space Force, and the Klingons will pay for it!":D

No idea what this means for NASA. Eiseinhower is rolling in his grave.

Regardless, if this brings me one step closer to banging some Asari babes then bless Trump.

With his usual foresight Alan Moore has already composed a stirring marching song for this new band of brothers .

We're space marines We're glorious
We're steadfast Brave and true
So don't you dirtbags mess with us
Or this is what we'll do...
We'll nick your dogs , we'll nuke your schools
We'll stretch you on a rack
We'll borrow all your garden tools and never give them back .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back