Wonderboys inability to win close decisions

His hands do blow, he doesn't use them to set up his kicking game for one, and he lacks variety and given his size he can't use them effectively at distance. His counterpunching is a step behind Machida, and he is less effective offensively in mma setting.

He is also a mental midget who loses his nerve on every fight that isn't going his way absolutely.

If the other guy isn't making mistakes, he doesn't MAKE them make mistakes. Machida had more traps and setups. Npt to mention feints.

Machidas kick aren't even close. Thompson reinvented the lead leg sidekicks in MMA.

Maybe I should have written: Wonderboys inability to win CLOSE decisions..

It's just his style. When he's lost decisions his output has just been abysmal, he's trying to win rounds by the slimmest of margins instead of convincingly, and when you do that you leave yourself to the mercy of judges who might not have been in position to see your best work.

It's just his style. When he's lost decisions his output has just been abysmal, he's trying to win rounds by the slimmest of margins instead of convincingly, and when you do that you leave yourself to the mercy of judges who might not have been in position to see your best work.

Do you think Woodley was more active??? Dana was furious.

Machidas kick aren't even close. Thompson reinvented the lead leg sidekicks in MMA.

It doesn't matter what he does in sparring or sport Karate. In mma he isn't nearly as effectice as Machida.

Machida's movement and distance control is ahead of his. He does everything more effectively in mma.

It's the exact same thing as an NCAA champion wrestler who gets his shit packed in by a guy who started wrestling in his late teens/early 20s.(Kos vs. GSP)

Do you think Woodley was more active??? Dana was furious.

No, they were both shit, but Woodley did manage to land the punches that created the biggest "moments".

I was more harsh on Wonderboy because he's the guy challenging for a world championship, and he's standing there having a staring contest with the guy.

No, they were both shit, but Woodley did manage to land the punches that created the biggest "moments".

I was more harsh on Wonderboy because he's the guy challenging for a world championship, and he's standing there having a staring contest with the guy.

Unless the opening is there...Wonderboy isn't going to create it. He sets no traps.

I disagree, Machida was better imo because he took control of his fights when he could and showed some offence. i havent watched all of Wonderboys career but from the fights ive seen he is way too much of a counter striker and rarely takes a risk.

He losses decisions based mostly on not doing enough.. I felt in both the Woodley fights he could have attacked way more than he did

I think you are right on with your assessment. Wonderboy - and likely most pure counterstriker - aren't going to fair well if there is a decision, unless they were undeniably dominant. Any time its close, they will have problems as they will almost never be the aggressor, and that never looks good to a judge.

GSP said wonderboy is the greatest striker he has EVER sparred

But not the best striker he has ever fought.

matt-serra-ufc-68-belt-750.jpg

Is this developing into a psychological thing with him? It's the second time he get's "dropped" just before the end of a very close fight. He seems to draw the short straw with judges every time. Are they biased against him or is he just one unlucky fellow?
He never initiates offense and just tries to counter. When you back pedal and barely out strike your opponent and get dropped you're a lot more likely to lose. Wonderboy has done this to himself. He's just not exciting to watch when he's playing the counter game.

It doesn't matter what he does in sparring or sport Karate. In mma he isn't nearly as effectice as Machida.

Machida's movement and distance control is ahead of his. He does everything more effectively in mma.

It's the exact same thing as an NCAA champion wrestler who gets his shit packed in by a guy who started wrestling in his late teens/early 20s.(Kos vs. GSP)

Machidas striking background is nowhere near Thompsons. Machida had one finalist spot in some shitty point tournament. Thompson is a multiple champion in FC

Tbf Wonderbitch has fought an insanely tough schedule

They should match him up with a few cans to showcase him again

Point fighting and having his father in his corner to act as cheerleader rather than a trainer to tell him to pick it up and that he's likely losing.

Is this developing into a psychological thing with him? It's the second time he get's "dropped" just before the end of a very close fight. He seems to draw the short straw with judges every time. Are they biased against him or is he just one unlucky fellow?
I really hope it's not a psychological thing. What is worst on this in my opinion is that Wonderboy was capable of winning all those fights just by being just a little bit more active. Really just a little bit and he could have won those fights. Hopefully he and his team are able to find some details how to improve this and he'll be a champion. I hope so as a fan.

Yes.. But he is much better than Machida.

Machida fought guys much bigger then himself and was still champion and top contender in two divisions.

Wonderboy has a huge size/reach advantange over most of his opponents and has not had the success of Machida.

I think you would be hard pressed to explain in detail how Wonderboy is better.

Machida fought guys much bigger then himself and was still champion and top contender in two divisions.

Wonderboy has a huge size/reach advantange over most of his opponents and has not had the success of Machida.

I think you would be hard pressed to explain in detail how Wonderboy is better.

How about Full contact champ against other strikers? When Machida faced high level striker like sam greco, he took them down

When you fight like he does, you don't endear yourself to anyone. There are karate guys who get the job done...And then there is Wonderboy.

Also his hands blow...That doesn't help him much.

Stephen%2BThompson%2BKnockdowns%2BPatrick%2BCote%2BUFC%2B178.gif

I'm prettttty sure the guy he just cracked has a granite chin.

Machidas striking background is nowhere near Thompsons. Machida had one finalist spot in some shitty point tournament. Thompson is a multiple champion in FC

I'm sorry...I thought this was about MMA.

Or is your head too far up Wonderboy's ass over accomplishments in ANOTHER SPORT, that you can't bring anything to this debate other than credentials from a past sport?

Machida is a far more effective Karate based fighter in mma than Wonderbra. It's shown in their fights, Machida's karate has adapted far better to MMA than Wonderbrah's...Who has shit for hands, can't utilize his length unless it's kicks, and cannot for the life of him CREATE OPENINGS.

Back