Black kid wrote a poem about death by cops

I agree in principal that police should not shoot kids in the back, bu tin this specific case, the details seem to justify the shooting. I think the wrong shooting is being protested here. It's the other kid who needs his poems read and candlelight vigils and all that.

Agreed. Though I think there is still a conversation to be had about how sure you have to be before you shoot. As I stated above, I'm not sure the cop knew that the runner was a murderer.

Edit: The police stated that Rose was unarmed when he was shot, but that two firearms were found in the car from which he had fled. Police stated that the driver of the car was not responsible for the earlier drive-by shooting and was released from custody later that evening.

What if the driver had fled?

This is the same piece of shit who ran from cops after he was involved in a drive by shooting.

Why is everyone pretending like he was a good person?

Agreed. Though I think there is still a conversation to be had about how sure you have to be before you shoot. As I stated above, I'm not sure the cop knew that the runner was a murderer.

Edit: The police stated that Rose was unarmed when he was shot, but that two firearms were found in the car from which he had fled. Police stated that the driver of the car was not responsible for the earlier drive-by shooting and was released from custody later that evening.

What if the driver had fled?

Word. And it still hasn't been nailed down that Rose did it either.

This is the same piece of shit who ran from cops after he was involved in a drive by shooting.

But he was going to spend his life helping to feed hungry kids in 3rd world countries....

Just joking, you’re right, approximately 0% or people who commit drive by shootings are “good people”.

So shooting an unarmed person in the back who you suspect of a crime is okay. Who needs courts when the police decide by firearm and people actually support extrajudicial homicide.

You mean the kid who was in the car drive-by shooting people (presumably rival gang members) and that had multiple firearms on board?

It's like a 600 lbs fatty predicting their own death by heart attack. Amazing, he must of had super powers.

I agree that a drive-by changes things dramatically, but let me hit you with this:

Police stated that witnesses described a car similar to the silver Chevrolet Cruze that Rose and two others were driving nearby.[4] Police stopped the car at 8:40 p.m., and a cellphone video recording of the event posted by a bystander on social media shows that police ordered the driver from the car.[8] While the driver was being handcuffed, Rose and the other occupant of the car fled from the police.

Is it possible that the "similar car" was only just that? What if it was just some scared kid who had a joint on him? The cop didn't know anything at the time he shot him other than the dude was fleeing and that he's possibly involved in a drive-by.

Thought I'd read that the cops observed bullet holes in the car.

Personally I think communities should enact laws that prohibit this sort of behavior by the police (i.e. shooting at unarmed, fleeing suspects).

So shooting an unarmed person in the back who you suspect of a crime is okay. Who needs courts when the police decide by firearm and people actually support extrajudicial homicide.

His car had two guns in it and he just fled the police from a drive by shooting. What difference does it make if he was shot in the back or strapped to an electric chair? He was a violent killer who tried to murder someone and then he tried to slip back into society without being noticed.

Why are you defending a killer?

Actually, in the other thread on this subject it was pretty clear that its legally justified to shoot a person suspected of a violent felony who could reasonably be expected to be present a danger tot he community if they attempt to flee. There've been some examples of very bad shootings by the police, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.

Perhaps as the details shake out we'll see that the police were wrong, but based on what we know right now, it is reasonable to think that Antwon rose was a bad dude and Pittsburgh got better when he got deader.

Typically I'm very cautious before jumping to conclusions when it comes to cases involving police shooting. As we saw in the Michael Brown case a completely false narrative was pushed and marketed as the "hands up don't shoot" campaign championed by the mainstream media including several high profile athletes despite the 6 of the 7 witnesses to the event support the officers recollection of the event and how things took place that afternoon. Although I will say again without knowing the details I can't come to any conclusion of when or why it would be acceptable to shoot a unarmed fleeing suspect. I think it also has to be said, in most these cases if the suspect just followed the cops demands they'd still be here today.

With all the "alleged" negative accusations against police officers and the low costs associated with equipping officers with personal cameras, I expected officers would be begging for these devices especially those who follow policy. The benefits for the city and the police department in theory should far out weight the negative by detouring false lawsuits and assisting in court when cases go to court, so why police office isn't using them really sparks my interest!!!!

Oh boy, classic racists in this thread. Listen guys, if you can't participate in an innocent drive by shooting and not be killed by the po-lice, then what can you do?!

His car had two guns in it and he just fled the police from a drive by shooting. What difference does it make if he was shot in the back or strapped to an electric chair? He was a violent killer who tried to murder someone and then he tried to slip back into society without being noticed.

Why are you defending a killer?

Actually, in the other thread on this subject it was pretty clear that its legally justified to shoot a person suspected of a violent felony who could reasonably be expected to be present a danger tot he community if they attempt to flee. There've been some examples of very bad shootings by the police, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.

Perhaps as the details shake out we'll see that the police were wrong, but based on what we know right now, it is reasonable to think that Antwon rose was a bad dude and Pittsburgh got better when he got deader.

First of all there's no need to try and phrase my comments in a way that suggests I am defending a 'killer' (though @tkotom states he was a killer, and a violent killer, I haven't read anywhere that he killed anyone), instead I am defending the process that people are allowed their time in court.

Secondly there are times that police need to make snap decisions and those decisions can be difficult. It seems from a foreigners perspective that these decisions are all too often in favour of heavy handed so-called justice and that the laws protect police who make these actions. As an Australian the death of Justine Damond really hit home and I suspect most fair minded people will agree that there is a problem in how police in the US continue to kill citizens. It seems to happen time and time again and this is just one more to the list. I am amazed that people defend the state simply executing people on the street and providing legislation that completely exonerates them.

Perhaps it's just a difference in our respective societies. Where I am from there are very few guns, the police do not have the kinds of fears that they do in the US, and police shootings are very rare. For that reason it is incomprehensible that someone unarmed would be shot in the back. There would be people marching down the streets and hell would be raised.

First of all there's no need to try and phrase my comments in a way that suggests I am defending a 'killer' (though @tkotom states he was a killer, and a violent killer, I haven't read anywhere that he killed anyone), instead I am defending the process that people are allowed their time in court.

Secondly there are times that police need to make snap decisions and those decisions can be difficult. It seems from a foreigners perspective that these decisions are all too often in favour of heavy handed so-called justice and that the laws protect police who make these actions. As an Australian the death of Justine Damond really hit home and I suspect most fair minded people will agree that there is a problem in how police in the US continue to kill citizens. It seems to happen time and time again and this is just one more to the list. I am amazed that people defend the state simply executing people on the street and providing legislation that completely exonerates them.

Perhaps it's just a difference in our respective societies. Where I am from there are very few guns, the police do not have the kinds of fears that they do in the US, and police shootings are very rare. For that reason it is incomprehensible that someone unarmed would be shot in the back. There would be people marching down the streets and hell would be raised.
There’s a reason why your society is going to shit. Because you’re not heavy handed and you let people walk all over you.

That being said, I’m not defending the protocol of the police officer. I’m defending the raw morality of it. That “kid” was involved in a drive by. Whether he killed anyone or not is irrelevant, he decided to kill and he tried to do it. He is a killer in my mind. So I really won’t lose sleep over his death. A garbage human whose loss improves the world. If he was an innocent kid who got shot running over some weed I’d understand the outrage.

I am amazed that people defend the state simply executing people on the street and providing legislation that completely exonerates them.

I'm all for changing the culture of impunity surrounding most police actions.

But there's nothing amazing about empowering these guys to catch bad guys and yes, kill bad guys if they won't cooperate with police.

What's amazing to me is that we see a kid who was probably involved in a conspiracy to attempt murder being defended by the community of the kid he attempted to murder. Imagine being the friends or family of the kid shot by Rose and company. Completely abandoned by the "community".

Just being practical. Have you seen women who specialize in getting into abusive relationship with jerks and living that heroic, dramatic long suffering life to finally triumph by getting out just to do it over again?

It gives their lives meaning. It’s the only way they know know to feel a sense of purpose and fulfillment. That’s the black community. They can’t get out of this hole that’s theyre very good at getting themselves in. It’s not like they don’t know know. The kids poem showed he was no dummy.

youre out of touch and gross. youre making shit up.

Antwon Rose, an honor student wrote this poem in class 2 years before becoming another statistic
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b2d0987e4b0040e274265c7

Life did get easier for him alright but not for his loved ones. Looks like we have another martyred poet a la Tupac in the making

Thats the problem with the black community: too much poetry, not enough common sense: don’t run from the police and no one will have to bury you.
@Johnny Mac @dfoster What the fuck is wrong with Tupac and poetry? EH?!

“Did you hear about the rose that grew from a crack in the concrete?
Proving nature's laws wrong, it learned to walk without having feet.
Funny, it seems to by keeping it's dreams; it learned to breathe fresh air.
Long live the rose that grew from concrete when no one else even cared.”

Beautiful, poetic metaphor about the ghetto. It's just Tupac was smart enough to understand that. Why hate on Pac?

@Johnny Mac ripskater apparently is a piece of shit.

There’s a reason why your society is going to shit. Because you’re not heavy handed and you let people walk all over you.

I don't know what you're talking about, it's fantastic where I live. You should come visit, I'd buy you a beer

I'm all for changing the culture of impunity surrounding most police actions.

We agree here

But there's nothing amazing about empowering these guys to catch bad guys and yes, kill bad guys if they won't cooperate with police.

I disagree - the punishment for non cooperation is not death. That to me is an outrage and has very broad and dire consequences. If you pose an immediate, mortal danger to others then yes, the police can and should kill you. But it should be certain and in this instance the guy was unarmed. I don't know how they came to decide it was appropriate to kill him - perhaps more will come out as this moves on, I am basing it simply on what is currently being reported.

Hpw long till yall think that punishment for disobedience thing catches up to the people you hold dear?

Black and brown folks are test subjects for the bigger fish.

What they do to us, is only practice for yall.

Hahahahahahha how do you not know this yet?

It aint us thats hard to control just throw a boogeyman at us, we'll shut up... Its yall mother fuckers they are really worried about.

Back