(Pantera) Vinnie Paul Dead at 54

Damn, I was just blasting some Cowboys from Hell today. The guy was known to be quite the partier, and also owned a few strip clubs.

I remember when i was a kid my friend said something like "pantera have the best techincal guitarist and drummer in the world but people write them off because it is heavy metal".

Any truth in that?

About zero truth.

Some metal musicians are among the most talented on the planet, but Pantera wasnt that.

RIP Vinnie.

About zero truth.

Some metal musicians are among the most talented on the planet, but Pantera wasnt that.

RIP Vinnie.

BS. Great southern trendkill was tough drumming. Their guitar riffs were complex for metal. Great band.

my fave pantera track

Like pauls drumming on this. Like some kinda of Van Halen track from the depths of hell.<20>

Pantera still rocks harder than anything.

Metal as fuck. Rip.

RIP. Every interview I have ever seen him except talking about Dimebag's death, he is smiling and being very warm to the interviewer.

RIP. Every interview I have ever seen him except talking about Dimebag's death, he is smiling and being very warm to the interviewer.
Him and Dime both seemed like such kind hearted dudes. Never heard anything but good things about them. The worlds lost another good soul unfortunately

Who would've ever thought Phil Anselmo would be outliving his bandmates

RIP

When no cause of death is given and the family asks for privacy, my thoughts immediately go to drug overdose or suicide.

I caught one of vinnie's sticks at a Damageplan concert just a month before Dimebag died.

This news sucks

Legend.

The hellacious slap of his kick drum will echo in eternity.

Yeah, the attack on his bass drum was super distinct. That’s because he used wooden mallets on his pedals, and also taped quarters to the mallets for extra sound on the attack. His drums sound great on 101 Proof. Nice and wet.

BS. Great southern trendkill was tough drumming. Their guitar riffs were complex for metal. Great band.

I didn't say they never had good instrumentation. Just they weren't among the best technical musicians. And you might not know a whole lot about Pantera if you think their riffs were comparatively complex.

I remember when i was a kid my friend said something like "pantera have the best techincal guitarist and drummer in the world but people write them off because it is heavy metal".

Any truth in that?

I play guitar and I can attest that the entire band were super talented. I can agree to an extent that due to their style they were written off. Just listen to Floods to hear Dime go off and 13 Steps
To Nowhere for some classic Vinnie. Just two of many examples.

R.I.P. Pantera was one of my favorite bands. They were my gateway to metal. I was born in 1980, started playing guitar in 88 and listend to shit shit like GNR, AC/DC, Motley Crue, and Ozzy.

Then in the 90's I discovered Sabbath, Zeppelin and some Classic Rock along side of some grunge like Nirvana Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam; but Pantera was my introduction to true guttural vocal metal and opened the door to a whole new genre for me.

I didn't say they never had good instrumentation. Just they weren't among the best technical musicians. And you might not know a whole lot about Pantera if you think their riffs were comparatively complex.

Agreed. Not quite sure how someone could think they were some of the most technical musicians out there. Their style and aggression was what made them solid.

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul. I once partied with Pantera in a house in 1985.

Back