(Pantera) Vinnie Paul Dead at 54

pinkybrief

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.billboard.com/articles/.../vinnie-paul-dead-pantera-damageplan-hellyeah

Drummer Vinnie Paul, co-founder of metal band Pantera, has died. Currently a member of Hellyeah, Paul was 54.

His representative confirmed the legendary drummer’s death to Billboard, but added that no further details are available at this time.

"Vincent Paul Abbott aka Vinnie Paul has passed away," reads a statement on the Pantera Facebook page. "Paul is best known for his work as the drummer in the bands Pantera and Hellyeah. No further details are available at this time. The family requests you please respect their privacy during this time."

Along with his brother, Dimebag Darrell, Paul (born Vincent Paul Abbott) formed Pantera in 1981. The group found mainstream success with second lead singer Phil Anselmo. Throughout its career, Pantera earned four Grammy nominations and charted nine albums on the Billboard 200, including its 1994 album Far Beyond Driven, which debuted at No. 1 on the chart.

Following Pantera’s demise, the Abbott brothers formed Damageplan in 2003. The band was performing on Dec. 8, 2004, when Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage during a concert in Columbus, Ohio.

Since 2006, Paul was the drummer for Hellyeah, a heavy metal supergroup that also includes Mudvayne vocalist Chad Gray and Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell.

Born in Texas, Paul credited his Lone Star roots for his powerful groove. “The Texas thing is part of it, growing up on a healthy dose of ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I also was a metal-head from day one. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, all my favorite bands had really great grooves to their music,” he told OnlineDrummer.com a few years ago.

Man, he was one of my absolute favorite drummers in one of my absolute favorite bands. 54? I’m guessing heart attack. He got super fat lately.

Legend.

The hellacious slap of his kick drum will echo in eternity.

Glad Anselmo is looking healthy these days. Sad we couldn't see a reunion between vinnie, phil and rex

I remember when i was a kid my friend said something like "pantera have the best techincal guitarist and drummer in the world but people write them off because it is heavy metal".

Any truth in that?

looks like the reunion is taking place in hell.

Eh, any year a rocker gets after 27 should be considered bonus.

I remember when i was a kid my friend said something like "pantera have the best techincal guitarist and drummer in the world but people write them off because it is heavy metal".

Any truth in that?

dime was a wizard

vinnie was alright nothing crazy imo

Man, I heard about this on the way home from work, I hoped it was a hoax. R.I.P. Vinnie, I have so many great memories to Pantera's music, and we used to joke you knew it was Vinnie by his signature snare roll.
From first hearing them when my friend's older brother gave him a Far Beyond Driven cassette, to having them on in the background while playing pickup football after school, having a local venue play "Walk" every time right before the headliner went on, and like clockwork everyone would sing it/act like Pantera themselves were on stage. They also served as "background music" for my ex-fiance and I, she was a huge metal head.

Thanks for the memories, and for being part of the soundtrack of my life.

Man, that fucking sucks. RIP

I let out an audible "WHAT" as soon as I saw the thread title.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/.../vinnie-paul-dead-pantera-damageplan-hellyeah

Drummer Vinnie Paul, co-founder of metal band Pantera, has died. Currently a member of Hellyeah, Paul was 54.

His representative confirmed the legendary drummer’s death to Billboard, but added that no further details are available at this time.

"Vincent Paul Abbott aka Vinnie Paul has passed away," reads a statement on the Pantera Facebook page. "Paul is best known for his work as the drummer in the bands Pantera and Hellyeah. No further details are available at this time. The family requests you please respect their privacy during this time."

Along with his brother, Dimebag Darrell, Paul (born Vincent Paul Abbott) formed Pantera in 1981. The group found mainstream success with second lead singer Phil Anselmo. Throughout its career, Pantera earned four Grammy nominations and charted nine albums on the Billboard 200, including its 1994 album Far Beyond Driven, which debuted at No. 1 on the chart.

Following Pantera’s demise, the Abbott brothers formed Damageplan in 2003. The band was performing on Dec. 8, 2004, when Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage during a concert in Columbus, Ohio.

Since 2006, Paul was the drummer for Hellyeah, a heavy metal supergroup that also includes Mudvayne vocalist Chad Gray and Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell.

Born in Texas, Paul credited his Lone Star roots for his powerful groove. “The Texas thing is part of it, growing up on a healthy dose of ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I also was a metal-head from day one. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, all my favorite bands had really great grooves to their music,” he told OnlineDrummer.com a few years ago.

Damn

I was just listening to my old official live CD the other day.

R.i.p vinnie. Pantera was one of the goats of their generation. They will be remembered for generations to come.

I can't fuckin believe this!!!! NOoooo!!!!

At least I got to see him perform, man what a huge fuckin blow to the metal community! Fuckin shit!

R.I.P.

Back