Koko the gorilla could NOT use sign language.

Gorilla is a gorilla. Whoever believed that it could use a sign language is really naive. Those scientists were really desperate to connect us and apes. That's all.

The media is still perpetuating this hoax now that this bag of fur has croaked. From CNN. Says this thing "mastered" sign language. Absolute nonsense.

(CNN)Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language and showed the world what great apes can do, has died.

She died Tuesday in her sleep at age 46, The Gorilla Foundation said in a statement.
"Koko touched the lives of millions as an ambassador for all gorillas and an icon for interspecies communication and empathy," the release said. "She was beloved and will be deeply missed."

Good thread on this:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65071

I mean, this "scientist" was the biggest fraud and had their mind made up. Ok, when cocoa, that is why I call it, says "nipple", she means "people" because they sound a like. Think of that. lol.

There is too much to really go into here so just read that thread. The "conversations" this hairbag had with humans are long and stupid. Make no sense unless the human post hoc adds an explanation. And the ape never used sign language. Not any recognizable kind but a supposed personal kind by this person and their trainer. And an ASL person who was there said they saw no signs where these "scientists" did. They made shit up.
tenor.gif

I think the ape probably learned some basic sign language. The whole thing obviously wasn't a farse. It was using signs to represent things.. The understanding wasn't exactly The same as ours, but yeah.. Weird thread.

I think the ape probably learned some basic sign language. The whole thing obviously wasn't a farse. It was using signs to represent things.. The understanding wasn't exactly The same as ours, but yeah.. Weird thread.

Just using your hands isnt language.

Language allows us to invent previously unimagined communications, like George Carlin's example "I'm going down to the softball field and beat up Hitler's widow". Even though we've never heard this combination of words, and even though it describes something unreal, we nevertheless understand it. That's the power of language.

Italians coulda learned that gorilla a thing or two.

She was signing in Canadian the whole time. That's why she was always off.

What you "think" is irrelevant. It was using signs that some idiot used their imaginations to create dialogue with. You have provided no evidence of anything. Why wasn't the whole thing a farce? Noam Chomsky and Steven Pinker think it was a farce. What do they know? What do you know that they don't? Make your case.

The media is still perpetuating this hoax now that this bag of fur has croaked. From CNN. Says this thing "mastered" sign language. Absolute nonsense.

(CNN)Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language and showed the world what great apes can do, has died.

She died Tuesday in her sleep at age 46, The Gorilla Foundation said in a statement.
"Koko touched the lives of millions as an ambassador for all gorillas and an icon for interspecies communication and empathy," the release said. "She was beloved and will be deeply missed."

Good thread on this:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65071

I mean, this "scientist" was the biggest fraud and had their mind made up. Ok, when cocoa, that is why I call it, says "nipple", she means "people" because they sound a like. Think of that. lol.

There is too much to really go into here so just read that thread. The "conversations" this hairbag had with humans are long and stupid. Make no sense unless the human post hoc adds an explanation. And the ape never used sign language. Not any recognizable kind but a supposed personal kind by this person and their trainer. And an ASL person who was there said they saw no signs where these "scientists" did. They made shit up.
did a gorilla fuck your wife or something?

For fuck's sake- there's conspiracy shit on a dead gorilla now? Conspiracy nut jobs are getting out of hand.

She knew a few signs for shit she wanted. I thought this was common knowledge

CUCCHIARO: In Daniel Gilbert’s (Harvard psychologist) recent bestseller, Stumbling on Happiness, he says that psychologists who’ve said that humans are the only animals who can use language were particularly well remembered when chimpanzees were taught to communicate with hand signs.’ I told him that you’d be interested to know about any examples of chimps using language, and he gave me a Wikipedia article to forward to you on ‘The Great Ape Language’.

CHOMSKY: Thanks. I’m well familiar with this work. It’s an insult to chimpanzee intelligence to consider this their means of communication. It’s rather as if humans were taught to mimic some aspects of the waggle dance of bees and researchers were to say, “Wow, we’ve taught humans to communicate.” Furthermore, the more serious researchers, like Dave Premack, understand all of this very well.

CUCCHIARO: It seems that even after the numerous studies conducted in the 1970s — and well beyond — had clearly failed, the notion of chimps possibly learning language still persists. What do you think when researchers to this day, such as Susan Rumbaugh (ape trainer), claim that Bonobo chimps can draw signs and refer to it as language similar to humans’ ability?

CHOMSKY: It’s all totally meaningless, so I don’t participate in the debate. Humans can be taught to do a fair imitation of the complex bee communication system. That is not of the slightest interest to bee scientists, who are rational, and understand something about science: they are interested in the nature of bees, and it is of no interest if some other organism can be trained to partially mimic some superficial aspects of the waggle dance.

https://chomsky.info/2007____/

For fuck's sake- there's conspiracy shit on a dead gorilla now? Conspiracy nut jobs are getting out of hand.

You are the one falling for a "conspiracy theory". Science and the scientific community are not on your side.

Anyone that has had a pet knows they can understand language. I don't know why this is even debatable. No one is reaching and saying an ape or a dog is going to finish the last book of Game of Thrones.

Anyone that has had a pet knows they can understand language. I don't know why this is even debatable. No one is reaching and saying an ape or a dog is going to finish the last book of Game of Thrones.

I watched some documentary years ago that mentioned that dogs have a vocabulary of about 25 words. Just thought I’d drop this useless information here.

I dare you to say this sentence to a deaf person.

I have taken sign language courses and using your hands isnt language. There are forms. Inflection. Evolution. Room for innovation. Regional variations. This ape does nothing of the kind. It does not understand any rules of language. An ASL observer noted the same thing. They were imagining signs. Filling in blanks with something where there was nothing.

You are the one falling for a "conspiracy theory". Science and the scientific community are not on your side.

You're getting this from a thread on a forum?

I wonder what scientific breakthroughs Sherdog can give us?

I watched some documentary years ago that mentioned that dogs have a vocabulary of about 25 words. Just thought I’d drop this useless information here.

I know that isn't the case for all dogs. This one guy trained his dog to return whatever dog toy he called out. He kept on training his dog and got to over 200 dog toys.

Back