• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Trump/Putin Summit

Obama was saying that the voting systems were secure and not threatened by fraud, and they do appear to have held up (and there was no evidence of fraud). That's entirely separate from the issue of stolen data, though. That obviously did happen and was a legitimate concern.

You also didn't say how you think we should respond to the attack or what level of attack would be sufficient to merit a response.

Honestly, I think even casually using the word ‘attack’ in this manner is a kind of fearmongering.

‘The Russians attacked us’

Seems a bit histrionic.

That is crazy. We ain't talking about a wall or health care here .... its whether a POTUS is putting another coutnry before his own.
But they don't see it that way, and I'm unsure that any intelligence community consensus would change their minds since the cemented narrative is that everyone's corrupt and "out to get" Trump with a "witch hunt".

You know, instead of holding the man accountable for his associations and double dealing.

Honestly, I think even casually using the word ‘attack’ in this manner is a kind of fearmongering.

Seems a bit hystrionic.
Fine. Let's call it an attack on our system of government.
It's a yuge difference.

Fine. Let's call it an attack on our system of government.
It's a yuge difference.

Don’t get me wrong; in theory, I’m okay with referring to facebook ads as ‘an attack’.

They are annoying as fuck

Seems a bit histrionic.

OK, find a more politically correct term for it. What kind of response do you think the (X) on our democracy deserves? Any? If they were able to successfully penetrate voting systems and change the outcome that way, would you support any response? Also, do you think it's fine going forward if all campaigns are spied on by Russia, and the information is used either to blackmail or try to sway the election, depending on the judgment of the Russian gov't?

Seems to me that ideally, U.S. policy should be designed with the interests of the U.S. in mind, rather than with the goal of appeasing a country that is interfering with elections.

OK, find a more politically correct term for it. What kind of response do you think the (X) on our democracy deserves? Any? If they were able to successfully penetrate voting systems and change the outcome that way, would you support any response? Also, do you think it's fine going forward if all campaigns are spied on by Russia, and the information is used either to blackmail or try to sway the election, depending on the judgment of the Russian gov't?
I can't help but think that those defending this summit performance would be apoplectic had the last guy done this, but nobody's willing to entertain that thought.

Stink of hypocrisy in the forum air

Seems a bit histrionic.

How would you describe their massive, multi-faceted attempts to damage America by hacking voter registration polls to target disinformation at voters, hacking email and using the stolen email to manipulate voters with lies, funneling massive amounts of money to the parties they support and candidates who would split the vote, fomenting racial violence, and working with organizations who brag about blackmailing politicians with hookers in order to sway the elections (as they claim to have done in America to get Trump elected)?

Seems to me that ideally, U.S. policy should be designed with the interests of the U.S. in mind, rather than with the goal of appeasing a country that is interfering with elections.

I don’t buy into the notion that facebook ads changed the outcome of the election. Imagine changing your vote based on a facebook ad, it seems like kind of a ridiculous notion to me.

As long as there is no vote hacking / fraud, and the votes themselves are sound, I’m not really too concerned with it.

I don’t buy into the notion that facebook ads changed the outcome of the election. Imagine changing your vote based on a facebook ad, it seems like kind of a ridiculous notion to me.

As long as there is no vote hacking / fraud, and the votes themselves are sound, I’m not really too concerned with it.

Imagine being so naive you think all that happened was facebook ads. It seems like a ridiculous notion to me based on the recent revelations.

Oh wait you're actually doing it.

I can't help but think that those defending this summit performance would be apoplectic had the last guy done this, but nobody's willing to entertain that thought.

Stink of hypocrisy in the forum air

Speaking for myself at least, in general I’m always a fan of any Prez easing off tensions with other world powers and being diplomatic. If it were Obama I’d be saying the same.

I agree to an extent but there are always so many undecideds in every election up for grabs.
People are easily swayed. It made a difference. How much is debatable but any interference is unacceptable.

I've never heard of anyone buying "into the notion that facebook ads changed the outcome of the election." Doesn't sound like you're paying attention at all.

Wow. So morality, democracy, rule of law, and national sovereignty are not concerns of yours? As long as your "side" wins, nothing else matters? How the heck did we get here?

I agree to an extent but there are always so many undecideds in every election up for grabs.
People are easily swayed. It made a difference. How much is debatable but any interference is unacceptable.

Again I’d be more concerned if actual votes were tampered with, but tampering with opinions seems a murky thing to condemn. Ultimately, people have to be responsible for making up their own minds & being discerning about the information they receive. If I see ads trying to persuade me against a candidate I want to vote for, it’s still on me how I vote. Not the ads.

Again I’d be more concerned if actual votes were tampered with, but tampering with opinions seems a murky thing to condemn. Ultimately, people have to be responsible for making up their own minds & being discerning about the information they receive. If I see ads trying to persuade me against a candidate I want to vote for, it’s still on me how I vote. Not the ads.

We have laws against stealing data, blackmail, and about foreign money in campaigns. I'd think that you'd at least advocate legalizing that stuff before saying that it doesn't matter to you.

How would you describe their massive, multi-faceted attempts to damage America by hacking voter registration polls to target disinformation at voters, hacking email and using the stolen email to manipulate voters with lies, funneling massive amounts of money to the parties they support and candidates who would split the vote, fomenting racial violence, and working with organizations who brag about blackmailing politicians with hookers in order to sway the elections (as they claim to have done in America to get Trump elected)?
Cost of doing business?

/sarcasm

I appreciate your POV but please don't argue persuasively, it tampons with my papinions.

Aren't we being giant hypocrites here? Russia used Facebook ads? Don't we manipulate elections and shit all over the world? Fund the side we like, arm the side we like, arm these rebels
South america? venezuela? the middle east? especially in the 80s.

a few Facebook ads and people lose their shit. internal politics aside were the most guilty country in the world so everyone should just shut the fuck up imho

Back