Mission Accomplished: The War on Poverty is Over

I'm 100% serious since I was discussing spending choices. As were you (tobacco, eating ramen, etc).

This post of yours seems to have moved on to non-spending decisions. And what you make isn't directly a choice you make unless you're self employed. Your employer decides what they're going to pay for a job and you either accept it or reject it. And if you're going to argue that - are you saying that you're currently choosing to make less than $1,000,000/yr at your current job? Why are you making that choice?
yes I clearly chose what education to pursue, what experience to pursue, and my current job. For example, I have an MBA but I work for the public sector in a non profit role so that doesn't actually help me much. So I then chose to get an MS in Org Leadership which is more equitable with my current field, allowing me to be promoted.....

Absolutely, 100%, it's a direct choice of decisions I made. Just like I stupidly chose History as an Undergrad major, and that is partly why I then went into the military to get further experience since that degree was largely useless outside of teaching/law school.

What I do doesn't warrant being paid 1M, pretty simple.

Why are you entitled to healthcare for life for working a job? Sounds like "mythical added value" to me.

I'm sure your situation is different because you feel it is, but it's not. The benefits that the military provides are disproportionate to the value that you as an individual provide. Without the scale of our armed forces, you'd be about as useful as the people you're currently shitting on.

It's unfortunate that you can't accept that you suck from the government teat far more than the rest of these people. I don't look down on you though, everyone needs help.
sure man whatever you say

You only get 'HC for life' if you have VA disabilities, normal veterans only get 6 months to 2 years transitionary care. Beyond that you're paying for COBRA extended Tricare

I'm just pointing out the idiocy of discussing poor people's spending habits when poverty is determined by income, not by spending

I understand how poverty is determined. Your post said they'll decide to stop being poor. Their spending absolutely contributes to their situation and that is why I said instead work hard and invest in themselves. If you aren't trying to help yourself why should others.

do people here have kids?

lets say you give them an allowance, and they spend it too fast.....do you simply give them more?
edit: I guess a stay at home spouse could fall into this category too, depending on shared accounts and all that

sure man whatever you say

You only get 'HC for life' if you have VA disabilities, normal veterans only get 6 months to 2 years transitionary care

I used Tricare for Life as a child through my retiree father, let's start being honest here.

I used Tricare for Life as a child through my retiree father, let's start being honest here.
ya, RETIRED

you have to serve 20 + years and be Retired to get Tricare for life
11% of all SM's serve to retirement, 89% don't....

again, whatever you say man. You also don't get that for life, but until you finish college/age 23......
edit: or get a DoD injury rating of 30%+, which isn't easy to do like VA ratings

yes I clearly chose what education to pursue, what experience to pursue, and my current job. For example, I have an MBA but I work for the public sector in a non profit role so that doesn't actually help me much. So I then chose to get an MS in Org Leadership which is more equitable with my current field, allowing me to be promoted.....

Absolutely, 100%, it's a direct choice of decisions I made. Just like I stupidly chose History as an Undergrad major, and that is partly why I then went into the military to get further experience since that degree was largely useless outside of teaching/law school.

What I do doesn't warrant being paid 1M, pretty simple.

You chose your current job (although that's not technically true either since the employer decided which applicant got the job). You didn't choose the compensation for that job - the employer chose the compensation.

My question to you was very straightforward but I'll rephrase it. If you went to your boss right now and said "I choose to make 3x my current salary for doing this same job," would he say "Sure, your pay is determined by what you choose." Or would he say "No, we determine what your work is worth, not you."

Similarly, if you told your CEO that you've decided to do something else while still at his company, would he say "Sure, you do whatever you want." Or would he say "No, I choose what your job is going to be."

You can choose what you think you're worth but you don't choose what you're actually paid.

The only way to combat poverty is to eliminate the federal reserve. when the government can no longer afford any benefits, the cost of all basic goods and services will have to fall dramatically. The current financial system guarantees that more and more people will require subsidies every single year.

Also, I bet 99% of the people virtue signaling about the poor poor people on this board have never volunteered any of their time to help the less fortunate. You're all full of shit

You chose your current job (although that's not technically true either since the employer decided which applicant got the job). You didn't choose the compensation for that job - the employer chose the compensation.

My question to you was very straightforward but I'll rephrase it. If you went to your boss right now and said "I choose to make 3x my current salary for doing this same job," would he say "Sure, your pay is determined by what you choose." Or would he say "No, we determine what your work is worth, not you."

Similarly, if you told your CEO that you've decided to do something else while still at his company, would he say "Sure, you do whatever you want." Or would he say "No, I choose what your job is going to be."

You can choose what you think you're worth but you don't choose what you're actually paid.
hahahahhahahahhahha

so I didn't choose to accept this position at that rate?

I didn't choose to even apply in the first place?

we can do this all day, unless you're a literal slave you made the choice, period.

Unless, of course, you got literally Shanghai'd to perform your current profession, my bad if so.

ya, RETIRED

you have to serve 20 + years and be Retired to get Tricare for life
11% of all SM's serve to retirement, 89% don't....

again, whatever you say man
edit: or get a DoD injury rating of 30%+, which isn't easy to do like VA ratings

So why did you say that the ONLY way you got healthcare for life was through VA disability? Do words not matter now?

Furthermore, did you undercut my point at all? If the elderly aren't worthy of benefits by virtue of paying taxes their whole fucking lives, then 20 years in a job you chose shouldn't entitle you to healthcare. Let's wipe hazard pay too (why are we paying you more to be there), uniform allowance (you get a paycheck, figure it out), BAH (live on base or figure it out), as well as the post 9/11 GI Bill (they paid you to get shot at, not go to college).

Damn, look at that, I just slashed entitlements like a motherfucker.

do people here have kids?

lets say you give them an allowance, and they spend it too fast.....do you simply give them more?
edit: I guess a stay at home spouse could fall into this category too, depending on shared accounts and all that

No one is trying to give them more.

This is a thread talking about taking away what little is already given.

So why did you say that the ONLY way you got healthcare for life was through VA disability? Do words not matter now?

Furthermore, did you undercut my point at all? If the elderly aren't worthy of benefits by virtue of paying taxes their whole fucking lives, then 20 years in a job you chose shouldn't entitle you to healthcare. Let's wipe hazard pay too (why are we paying you more to be there), uniform allowance (you get a paycheck, figure it out), BAH (live on base or figure it out), as well as the post 9/11 GI Bill (they paid you to get shot at, not go to college).

Damn, look at that, I just slashed entitlements like a motherfucker.
well i'm not retired, so there's no way for me get it other than that

those aren't entitlements, they are benefits as you had TO SERVE HONORABLY to get them.......nexttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

also hazard pay is the 'paying you more' to be there my dude, not sure if serious. it's Hostile Fire and Imminent danger pay FYI

well i'm not retired, so there's no way for me get it other than that

those aren't entitlements, they aren't benefits as you had TO SERVE HONORABLY to get them.......nexttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Yeah yeah, your situation is different. That's what all the poors say.

While there may be exceptions to the rule, as there is with anything, most times it shakes out like this-

Guy A) goes to go to school, does well, goes to college, gets a degree, starts their career, gets married, gets promoted at work, buys a house, has a kid(s), is successful.

Guy B) gets a GED/does poor in high school but graduates, doesn't go to college, works low wage jobs like low level retail for years, has a relationship or gets married, has kids, is on government assistance seemingly forever, is in poverty but feels he needs more help and he's had bad luck in life.

Yes, Hunter is right. Most people in poverty are in it as a result of their terrible decision making at bad times. It's no one's fault but their own, so that is on them.

Is this based on any kind of analysis, or just "common knowledge"?

Seems a little bit simplistic (and akin to fanfiction) to me, but i've also been a victim of circumstances, so I can see common scenarios where a person might take one on the chin and not be able to work.

Yeah yeah, your situation is different. That's what all the poors say.
hahahah sure man
i don't get that if the military is 'welfare' then we clearly and by far have the highest Welfare spending of any nation on earth......so what's the problem? why can't all the people struggling just simply join the military since it's apparently such an easy 'road to entitlements'?

weird.....

It's the typical situation of the so-so off blaming the even poorer people while the top 0,1% reaps all the benefits, gets all the capital and thanks to your president and (republican) presidents before get waaaaay more tax brakes/ welfare than the ones who actually need it. Do you think the rich work, maybe some CEO's but the rest just own real estate and charge you half of your income so you never will have a chance of saving to get any capital/ buy real estate. Start looking at the REAL cause of the problem and don't scapegote poor saps.

Trickle down my ass. Bernie 2020

hahahah sure man
i don't get that if the military is 'welfare' then we clearly and by far have the highest Welfare spending of any nation on earth......so what's the problem? why can't all the people struggling just simply join the military since it's apparently such an easy 'road to entitlements'?

weird.....

Isn't it weird how one of the most common suggestions for people on hard times is to join the military, specifically for all the free shit they give out?

You probably didn't think that one through.

Isn't it weird how one of the most common suggestions for people on hard times is to join the military, specifically for all the free shit they give out?

You probably didn't think that one through.
i absolutely did, do you know what percentage of people actually qualify for service?

have you checked the obesity rates lately? rates of ADD medication and other things that bar one?

you tried tho

Do we really need to bring out boring 10 minute long reads to define that people who are more educated and more responsible are more successful? I would think that is "common knowledge". There's a reason why people with Bachelor's Degrees and Masters Degrees average more income than people who dropped out of high school.

I'm talking about the law of averages. Realistically speaking, most people in poverty aren't PHD holding gurus who got ill and couldn't go to work, then a random car accident injured them again, were victims of credit fraud, and now they're poor. Just like most people successful aren't braindead people with the smarts of an ant but play a role on reality tv or are a musician. There's always exceptions, but people align in their categories as a whole because most people are the same.

At the end of the day, most uneducated bad decision making multiple kid bearing government assistance loving people are poor due to their terrible life choices. That is on them, as their current circumstance is the end result of their life choices.

I didn't say anything about more educated people being more successful. I have an education, I know that.

I was talking about your assertion that "most people are on welfare because of their personal choices". Your example sounded like an Ayn Rand cocaine dream, so I want to know where you're getting that information.

Would you mind providing it?

i absolutely did, do you know what percentage of people actually qualify for service?

have you checked the obesity rates lately? rates of ADD medication and other things that bar one?

you tried tho

Did any of this^^ disprove anything in my post? You've gone from "The military doesn't give free shit" to "why doesn't everyone just join for free shit" to "well not everyone else is cut out to get this free shit".

You still haven't gotten around the fact that the free shit is the issue. You're flailing.

Back