Mission Accomplished: The War on Poverty is Over

many yes, not as many women worked in the workforce back then though so I was just pointing out it was misleading to imply they ALL do

Stay-at-home moms who get the benefits once their husband passes shouldn't be a problem for anyone . . . that's how I took that comment. That while the husbands paid into the system that their wives would also benefit from it.

Oh well . . .

Stay-at-home moms who get the benefits once their husband passes shouldn't be a problem for anyone . . . that's how I took that comment. That while the husbands paid into the system that their wives would also benefit from it.

Oh well . . .
oh of course, I agree w/ that too. If it's earned it's earned

such as the Survivor Benefit Program

Most of the federal government programs aren't the ones that grind my gears. They have some sensibility to them.

But I live in Maryland and they have an extensive welfare program. I know multiple able bodied people who haven't had a job in DECADES despite not having any reason whatsoever preventing them from working. This is wrong and it's preventable.

I know someone just this year who gets free housing, food, medical and phone complained that the free apartment she was getting from the county, wasn't good enough. Now bare in mind this apartment is in one of the best community in all of the county, an apartment that I can't afford even though I have 10+years of experience, college educated and hold the highest level certification.

I am also a recruiter and when I used to recruit for low level jobs welfare recipients would turn there nose up at any opportunity to work while feeling entitled to free money. They still wanted me to do work and send them confirmation that they indeed did apply for a job so they could keep their free money.

I am all for helping someone when they fall on bad times but bad times can't be 1998-indefinitely. That's unacceptable to those who made sacrifices.

Everyone else has to start at the bottom, increase their skills and knowledge, pay their dues, work hard and make many sacrifices. This is expected of adults.

What makes these people entitled to free money that the working class isn't?

Most of the federal government programs aren't the ones that grind my gears. They have some sensibility to them.

But I live in Maryland and they have an extensive welfare program. I know multiple able bodied people who haven't had a job in DECADES despite not having any reason whatsoever preventing them from working. This is wrong and it's preventable.

I know someone just this year who gets free housing, food, medical and phone complained that the free apartment she was getting from the county, wasn't good enough. Now bare in mind this apartment is in one of the best community in all of the county, an apartment that I can't afford even though I have 10+years of experience, college educated and hold the highest level certification.

I am also a recruiter and when I used to recruit for low level jobs welfare recipients would turn there nose up at any opportunity to work while feeling entitled to free money. They still wanted me to do work and send them confirmation that they indeed did apply for a job so they could keep their free money.

I am all for helping someone when they fall on bad times but bad times can't be 1998-indefinitely. That's unacceptable to those who made sacrifices.

Everyone else has to start at the bottom, increase their skills and knowledge, pay their dues, work hard and make many sacrifices. This is expected of adults.

What makes these people entitled to free money that the working class isn't?
Shit, I've had people tell me in interviews they prefer to work less hours because their rent is based on income. So, i would do them the favor of not hiring their dumbasses at all.

One guy told me the govt would pay him more to sit on his ass at home than he'd make working with our company. It's true.

Shit, I've had people tell me in interviews they prefer to work less hours because their rent is based on income. So, i would do them the favor of not hiring their dumbasses at all.
Had a couple guys plead guilty recently asked what their ability to pay the fines that come with felony charges was. Most answered they haven't worked in several years.

"you seem like you're able-bodied.. just poor job market?" -Judge
"I lose my benefits if I take a job"

I think the courtroom as a whole just sat in a sort of stunned silence for about a minute.

I mean it would be impossible for me to account for every failure of failed person in life right? Nor would I want to hear all of their excuse ridden stories. All the bad multiple kids people can't afford decisions per person. All the quit job with no plan B decisions. All the borrow high interest money that they can't afford to pay back but get into debt decisions. No, I cannot account "for all bad decisions everywhere". I do think however it is "common sense" as you put it, that more poor people make worse decisions. I highly, highly, highly doubt that the majority of people in poverty are in it due to their amazing decision making.

What you can prove, you or I, is what actions lead to success, and what inaction lead to failure. This can be quantified and critiqued. Even then however, there are tons of statistics that support the fact that low income people waste the most money on lotto tickets, cigarettes, etc, which points to bad spending habits in regards to their income level. Now that I am typing it, if I am not mistaken 70% of cigarette smoking is from the low income community. These are things, among many other things, that point to a terrible mindset as it doesn't make much sense to be buying cigarettes if you can barely afford your life. If the statistics were "low income communities only buy 20% of cigarette sales" maybe you would have some sort of argument here.

Either way, let's try this one last time since you may just be missing my entire point, and have yet to counter point with anything relevant. Let's use college as an example as before since we are on subject. Stop me where I am wrong.

We have established statistically that those who do graduate from college, make higher levels of income correct? This in turn, moves more people, much more people, with college degrees out of the poverty line by income, since the definition of poverty itself is based around your income level. Correct? Ok great.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/hsgec.nr0.htm

^ Here we can see that people who didn't go to college are set up on a lesser path, but even moreso people who dropped out of high school are at a horrible labor participation rate, with the unemployment rate almost 3x as high compared to students in college at the same age. Ok great.

http://federalsafetynet.com/us-poverty-threshold.html

^ Note the poverty threshold by income per household size. Ok great.

http://federalsafetynet.com/us-poverty-statistics.html

^ In regards to U.S. poverty, points to consider are as follows.

-Adults not working - 31%
-Adults without a high school diploma - 25%
-Adults with college degree or higher - 5%
-Full time working adults - 2%

Here we can see massive gaps that even the blind can observe. With this information, we are well aware that the decision to attend and graduate college should be a high priority to avoid financial hardship. While there are exceptions, the statistics prove that obtaining a college degree will lead to higher income and success. Realistically and objectively speaking, we can trust that it is not a coincidence that only 5% of college graduates are in poverty. Realistically and objectively speaking, we can also trust that the majority of the 25% of people in poverty with no high school diploma are not there due to their amazing decision making. Right? Ok. This would mean that, *gasps*, bad decisions much more often than not lead to bad results.

This deserves it's own line. Bad decision making more often than not leads to bad results.

Choosing to not go to college, in the face of so much supporting evidence that it is more beneficial for your long term growth, is a bad decision. If you were irresponsible having kids too early or before you were financially ready (yes watching your kid(s) is no excuse for failing in life) or getting into trouble with the law (yes getting arrested is no excuse for failing in life), and skipped college, your bad decision making lead to bad results. If you dropped outta high school (yes, not graduating is no excuse for failing in life), you made a bad decision. Etc 100x.

What is your statistical fact based counter argument to the conclusion of this analysis, that bad decision making more often than not leads to bad results? No fluff. No side stepping. A statistical fact based counter argument. I'm listening.

Did I ask you to granularly go through every welfare recipient and verify their circumstances? Holy shit dude, I asked you a simple question, where your information comes from. You have all the answers for shit I never asked for, yet none for the sole question I asked you.

But yet again, you made it abundantly clear that you're not basing it on any kind of analyses, just inferences based on your gut. Next time, just say that and it'll make things much easier. Might save you some posting time as well.

I've posted nearly 10 articles across multiple posts highlighting where my opinion comes from and explaining my stance. My "information" comes from statistics, as posted. How many more statistics would you want me to provide to let you know where my "information comes from" or how I formed my opinion? Not from my "gut", from facts. Facts and statistics support stances, and facts and statistics refute stances. Anything else is just baseless emotionally charged opinion. I also stated multiple times I am listening to a counter argument if you have one, as I am always willing to revise my opinion on any subject.

I've seen your posting before. You have yet to make a single counter argument (like actually not even one) to said stance. When you have a credible argument you are very fact and statistic based, very logical, but right now you haven't even attempted to post an ounce of counter statistics yet or acknowledge the point I am actually making. I'm either being trolled or I held you in much higher regard than I should have. I'm out.

You posted a bunch of articles relating to education level, charity, screen time, and other irrelevant factors to try and say that welfare recipients as a group are there as a direct function of their choices. You're totally unable to justify that statement with a causal relationship, nor can you even conceptualize random chance, and you're wondering why I don't even entertain it? And all this in response to a source call?

Tell yourself you're being trolled if it helps you sleep. Anything to avoid that you sperged out over a basic inquiry.

What they need to look into if they want to get out in front of the problems with people earning below or very close to the poverty line is the fucking housing situation on the two coasts.

Seriously, I make almost $40k a year gross, and I can't afford to even THINK about buying my own place. Fucking horseshit.
Stop being a welfare leech and find some bootstraps to pull. If you're only grossing 40k then maybe you just need to work harder, at your job, that only pays you 40k a year.

Also why don't people just stop having sex until they're earning at least 250k a year? Then all of America's problems will be solved.

I'm not a welfare deadbeat, so this doesn't harm me.

Omg, Trump is spending too much, omg, Trump is cutting entitlement spending.

Get an education and a job and stop trying to raise a familyof 12 on food stamps and minimumwage, problem solved.

Why is it always people who can't be bothered to actually understand the problem, and who are likely incapable of doing so, who proclaim "problem solved."

Don't want cops murdering you? Don't run. Problem solved!
Don't want to be poor? Get an education. Problem solved!

It's like the tagline for morons. You never hear someone who understand an issue say those words.

Stop being a welfare leech and find some bootstraps to pull. If you're only grossing 40k then maybe you just need to work harder, at your job, that only pays you 40k a year.

Also why don't people just stop having sex until they're earning at least 250k a year? Then all of America's problems will be solved.

Problem solved!

Except for:

1.) I'm not on welfare or assistance of ANY kind, even food stamps

2.) I work two separate jobs one that is full time with benefits and the other that is part time no benefits BUT I get paid out in tips/portion of profit

3.) My main job (the 40 hour a week one) is in the public sector which means I don't get pay bumps based on how well I do as everything is based on "time in" which has fucked me

4.) I have applied to other places but everyone in my state low balls me on what they want to pay cause they know people are desperate

5.) You don't know shit about me so why don't you take your indignant sarcastic post, shine up real good, turn it sideways and stick it up your candy ass you ass clown frog face looking motherfucker.

Why is it always people who can't be bothered to actually understand the problem, and who are likely incapable of doing so, who proclaim "problem solved."

Don't want cops murdering you? Don't run. Problem solved!
Don't want to be poor? Get an education. Problem solved!

It's like the tagline for morons. You never hear someone who understand an issue say those words.
Very good. You're black and you got an education. Are you worried about being poor or getting murdered? Oh you're not? Imagine that.

Very good. You're black and you got an education. Are you worried about being poor or getting murdered? Oh you're not? Imagine that.

You do realize that the very structure of our economy demands an underclass, right? Even if every single poor person could and did get an education, that would do nothing to change the fact that millions of them would live in dangerous squalor. There might be some musical chairs in the economic hierarchy, but it would be zero-sum In fact, millions more would become poor because our economy would be brought to a halt and prices would skyrocket due to constant cyclical turnover in low-paying menial position and explosion of public debt. Your argument is a non sequitur. And, like I said, only people who don't understand an issue resort to it.

Furthermore, I don't think that the entirety of a person's value should be dictated by their intelligence or how lucky their upbringing was, and that if they have low intelligence or got a bad lot in life they deserve to suffer. For instance, you're not a smart person: I'm sure you'll at the very least concede that you're not the smartest person. However, just because guys like Quipling and Limbo Pete are smarter than you does not make me feel like they deserve to live comfortably and you deserve to live among death and squalor. So, even if your argument made macroeconomic sense, you'd have to be (imo) a giant, short-sighted piece of shit to think it.

You think you're being a realist, but in actuality you're just flaunting your own ignorance.

You do realize that the very structure of our economy demands an underclass, right? Even if every single poor person could and did get an education, that would do nothing to change the fact that millions of them would live in dangerous squalor. There might be some musical chairs in the economic hierarchy, but it would be zero-sum In fact, millions more would become poor because our economy would be brought to a halt and prices would skyrocket due to constant cyclical turnover in low-paying menial position and explosion of public debt. Your argument is a non sequitur. And, like I said, only people who don't understand an issue resort to it.

Furthermore, I don't think that the entirety of a person's value should be dictated by their intelligence or how lucky their upbringing was, and that if they have low intelligence or got a bad lot in life they deserve to suffer. For instance, you're not a smart person: I'm sure you'll at the very least concede that you're not the smartest person. However, just because guys like Quipling and Limbo Pete are smarter than you does not make me feel like they deserve to live comfortably and you deserve to live among death and squalor. So, even if your argument made macroeconomic sense, you'd have to be (imo) a giant, short-sighted piece of shit to think it.

You think you're being a realist, but in actuality you're just flaunting your own ignorance.
Well at least we're off the racial discrepancy and on to left wing posters just being smarter than me. I don't know those fucking guys and neither do you, but let's just say they are smarter than me. I don't really know @Quipling but @Limbo Pete is a pretty clever guy, if that helps. He at least knows his history.

There are families and charities that help people out enormously without demanding handouts from strangers. What you want is for everyone to be the underclass and for politicians to be the only rich people. You call it "lucky", I call it responsible.

@Limbo Pete is a pretty clever guy, if that helps. He at least knows his history.

mRleelL.gif

Quite the opposite, they're pushing policy that has been shown fairly conslusively to make people poorer as well as have no effect on employment stability.

Kinda like drug testing welfare recipients, there's just not enough juice to justify the squeeze. This particular policy point is especially stupid since we're very near (or even at) full employment.
Wasn't the original argument that people would get a temporary leg up out of generational poverty and then welfare wouldn't be needed? If that already happened then cutting benefits was part of the original plan. If it hasn't, then aren't people justified in questioning the approach after 50 years?

lol republicans couldn't end the war on a clogged toilet.

Minus the second half of your posts which just feel like cliche lines, you're right. It's amazing how liberals use the "we've had a war on drugs for 30-40 years and it doesn't work, let's end it" but don't see the same for the War on Poverty

If anything, at least take a different approach because it's not working as intended
Yeah that's a fair argument and I'm the type to support these kinds of initiatives. Ultimately if they're not working something has to change. I like @panamaican's suggestion of just removing the penalty for working partly because its what came to mind for me when I read the OP but he probably explained it better than I would've.

Back