John Danaher Back Attacks instructional is out

How many world titles even a colored belts had Ryan won before joining jhon?

1 I think at brown.

Hurts your argument though if John hasn't developed anyone from start who has won world titles. I don't even think Nicky has won any world titles in the teens division....

1 I think at brown.

Hurts your argument though if John hasn't developed anyone from start who has won world titles. I don't even think Nicky has won any world titles in the teens division....

He was training with John when he won nogi worlds at brown

1 I think at brown.

Gordon never won anything before training with jhon and his biggest first win was ebi... less again in the gi. It doesn’t hurt my argument at all, my argument is that all of those guys claim jhon as their main is trust or they give him crwdit for their sucess and specially to certai. Parts of their game, but you don’t lol, it’s ridiculous.

Last edited:
Gordon never won anything before ebi... less again in the gi. It doesn’t hurt my argument at all, my argument is that all of those guys claim jhon as their main is trust or they give him crwdit for their sucess and specially to certai. Parts of their game, but you don’t lol, it’s ridiculous.

So all the seat squad come from other instructors who most of them still train with. If you really believe that danaher was responsible for their success, where all the new death squad? His homegrown students... there should be tons of them lol. SMH.

It’s quite silly to pretend jhon didn’t have a mayor impact on his grapplers, there’s a whole bunch of good gapplers around the world yet just a few turn to be elite, it’s not a coincidence jhon has lots of these elite guys training under him...

yup man this dvd is amazinggg how he teaches how he likes to finish the rnc at the end of the 3rd part i can see now why his guys have the highest % of rnc finishes over others very amazing technique applying how gi chokes work but for the rnc as well

So all the seat squad come from other instructors who most of them still train with. If you really believe that danaher was responsible for their success, where all the new death squad? His homegrown students... there should be tons of them lol. SMH.
What are you arguing here, that loads of high level guys spend a bunch of time training with him because he actually sucks?

As to completely "homegrown" students, plenty of coaches are good for professionals/high level but couldn't teach a white belt class to save their lives. How many coaches of Olympic teams do you think brought all their students up from scratch? Are they all shitty coaches too?

What are you arguing here, that loads of high level guys spend a bunch of time training with him because he actually sucks?

As to completely "homegrown" students, plenty of coaches are good for professionals/high level but couldn't teach a white belt class to save their lives. How many coaches of Olympic teams do you think brought all their students up from scratch? Are they all shitty coaches too?
Apparently Stefan Ed berg is not to give any chedit for Federer’s come back and improved back hand technique, roger is being scammed by Stefan, what a fool

My main argument to start was that their are more accomplished black belts than danaher. People drink the kool-aid every year.

Marcelo, pena and others have great back takes videos out there. You think someone like danaher who is out of shape, doesn't roll and never competed is someone who are new to the sport should put him above others with proven competition accolades? SMH lol.

My main argument to start was that their are more accomplished black belts than danaher. People drink the kool-aid every year.

Marcelo, pena and others have great back takes videos out there. You think someone like danaher who is out of shape, doesn't roll and never competed is someone who are new to the sport should put him above others with proven competition accolades? SMH lol.

Well your argument is quite silly, you would have a point if jhons grapplers were not recking people with the exact technique jhon claims to have developed, guess what, they are... if you would at least watch the dvd you would know how much of ridiculous your sounding... Marcelo and many others have great back attacks, and they work just fine, jhons approach is a little different, the hand fighting is different and that’s the hardest part against anyone competent, the squad is tearing competition with its system... facts are facts and as much as it hurts you, dahaner has something... about the new squad... Oliver taza...

Marcelo García is goat rnchoker, how many of his top guys are mimicking Marcelo’s style? Matheus Gianni Denis all have different styles, did Marcelo left a footprint on them? Probably, but in the case dds, it’s quite obvious that they are all training together under the instruction of the same person... despite their different skill set they all have many things in común, that’s their leg lock system and back attack system at least... there’s no way to Denied that... unless you actually think Eddie Cummins was the person to teach leglocks to all of thwm

Last edited:
yup man this dvd is amazinggg how he teaches how he likes to finish the rnc at the end of the 3rd part i can see now why his guys have the highest % of rnc finishes over others very amazing technique applying how gi chokes work but for the rnc as well
the straight jacket system it’s awesome, I expect to see a lot more of that in th next coming years...

unless you actually think Eddie Cummins was the person to teach leglocks to all of thwm

I thinks it's super likely Eddie was behind a lot of the more modern technical invocation. Eddie studies bjj a lot, watches tons of tape, subscribes to all the online sites and as opposed to Danaher is actually a very smart dude.

Are you genuinely incapable of grasping the idea that someone might be a worse competitive grappler than another person, yet a better coach?

Yeah and Eddie 4 years ago was a blue belt.... it makes a ton of sense.

Are you genuinely incapable of grasping the idea that someone might be a worse competitive grappler than another person, yet a better coach?
Yep Angelo Dundee, Cus Damato, and Emmauel Stewart are all shitty boxing coaches cause they were shitty amateur fighters and were never pros. (SMH). Yeah, Ali, Tyson and Thomas Hearns were making the mother of all mistakes training with them cause of course there were more accomplished pro fighters who could have taught them more. Dudes trolling, man. He doesnt even belieive his own bullshit. I hope not.

Yeah and Eddie 4 years ago was a blue belt.... it makes a ton of sense.
What, really? When I met him in 2015 he was introduced to me as a brown belt (it was no-gi). Did he really go from blue to brown in less than a year? I didn't know that.

Also, as far as whether Cummings taught leglocks to the other top Renzo guys:
Some of them his influence is pretty clear. Some of them do it in a very different way. Eddie's influence is much more obvious on Jon Calestine, for instance. If you've seen Eddie's new leg lock videos and how he uses his thighs for breaking you know what I mean. That's how I've been doing it for a while now (though not nearly as good) but I teach my longer-legged students to do it more like how Danaher shows and Gordon Ryan does it.

I do think that Cummings is responsible for a significant fraction, perhaps even a majority, of the leg system as it exists and is taught there.

What, really? When I met him in 2015 he was introduced to me as a brown belt (it was no-gi). Did he really go from blue to brown in less than a year? I didn't know that.

Also, as far as whether Cummings taught leglocks to the other top Renzo guys:
Some of them his influence is pretty clear. Some of them do it in a very different way. Eddie's influence is much more obvious on Jon Calestine, for instance. If you've seen Eddie's new leg lock videos and how he uses his thighs for breaking you know what I mean. That's how I've been doing it for a while now (though not nearly as good) but I teach my longer-legged students to do it more like how Danaher shows and Gordon Ryan does it.

I do think that Cummings is responsible for a significant fraction, perhaps even a majority, of the leg system as it exists and is taught there.

Cummings started to train around 2009-2010... if I’m not mistaken he made it to B.B. in 5 years or so... I misscalculated the time, but he was around purple when the system started to come out.. did he put some twist to make it work better for himself? Probably, the same way most of us twictch stuff to make techniques work better for us.. now putting a whole system being blue or purple? Not very likely...

Cummings started to train around 2009-2010... if I’m not mistaken he made it to B.B. in 5 years or so... I misscalculated the time, but he was around purple when the system started to come out.. did he put some twist to make it work better for himself? Probably, the same way most of us twictch stuff to make techniques work better for us.. now putting a whole system being blue or purple? Not very likely...
I've seen video of Cummings training before he moved to train under Danaher and he was doing pretty much the same leg lock entries and finishes he still uses and which Garry Tonon, Gordon Ryan, Taza, Crelinstein, Calestine, and the rest all use to this day. Just not as refined. I know that there was a lot of political pressure to keep the videos hush-hush for a while but then I saw someone post them straight to facebook a couple months ago so I figure the cat's out of the bag.

Checked out the DVD. The hand fighting and rear naked choke sections are super good.
It's the best part of the DVD by a large margin.
He showed how the reliably choke over the chin which is great (without relying on point perfect positioning or tons of steroids and breaking bones).

On the negative site there is ton of bullshit especially on the first DVD that needs to be fast forwarded. So the set is like <3 hours of real info rather than 9.
He showed a few good back controls drills in between the crap on the first one (one of them was new and useful so it's a plus)
The reverse triangle stuff looks good but I haven't watched it fully yet.
He shows some truck attacks too.
The back tackes are okish but mostly nothing special.

In short super good resource on RNCs, loads of existing back control stuff that might be new to a lot of people and some lower percentage truck attacks filler. The drawback there is a lot of inane babbling from Danaher that you have to skip over.

Spot on. I started with the hand fighting and RNC finish because those were my interests.Then I started going thru the whole set and its kinda tough. There is alot of fluff in this first DVD.

Back