Dominick Cruz's Training Partner Says TJ vs Dominick Cruz 2 is Set for December

Who Wins?

• Total voters
giphy.gif

Cruz has been inactive and is constantly injured. I thought Moraes was guaranteed the next title shot after Garbrandt vs Dillashaw 2. {<huh}

Battle for the BW GOAT.

I'm glad Marlon and Assuncao will now be forced to fight each other.

This fight has GSP/Hughes written all over it. The first fight GSP was in awe of Hughes and gave him too much respect which cost him the fight. The second time around was a different story, I think the same will happen with Cruz/TJ..

The crappy thing about this fight for TJ is that he literally doesn't matter in the outcome. Prime Cruz >> Prime TJ any day.

The big question is: can Cruz regain his form? He's only 33, so a return to his championship form is absolutely a possibility. A lot of people speculated that injuries really hampered him in the Cody Garbrandt fight. Cruz has had a while to heal up various injuries after such a long layoff.

Basically, if Cruz rediscovers his championship form, then TJ is going to lose. Otherwise, I think TJ beats Cruz.

The point is BOTH deserve it more than Cruz does.

I'm not sure they both do. Cruz never really lost his ranking. He was the greatest 135er ever, and he only loss in 10 years is to Cody. By default, Cruz must be ranked the #1 or #2 contender in the 135 division.

Not that what I just said doesn't suck for Assuncao or Moraes, because they've basically done everything they can to earn a title shot ... just none of the top 2 will fight them (Cruz, Garbrandt).

Considering Assuncao beat Moraes last year, I believe they should rematch. This would clearly establish a #1 contender to fight the Cruz/Dillashaw winner. And Cruz/Dillashaw should have no rematch, because either Dillashaw will be 0-2 against Dom, or Dom will be on an 0-2 skid. Neither case warrants another title fight.

I dont buy it. Cruz was set to fight Rivera and then broke his arm. How does an injury propel you to a title shot??
When you're the UFC chosen one, you get whatever you want.

Cody was the one they wanted most. Cruz 2nd most.... Probably Faber 3rd, TJ may, may be in the top5 of BWs they want as champion.

Dom can't win this.

His köprer was already broken before that.

If he wins this fight, he is the ULTIMATIVE GOAT.

Only part time fighter Brock Lesnar can top that.

I'm not sure they both do. Cruz never really lost his ranking. He was the greatest 135er ever, and he only loss in 10 years is to Cody. By default, Cruz must be ranked the #1 or #2 contender in the 135 division.

Not that what I just said doesn't suck for Assuncao or Moraes, because they've basically done everything they can to earn a title shot ... just none of the top 2 will fight them (Cruz, Garbrandt).

Considering Assuncao beat Moraes last year, I believe they should rematch. This would clearly establish a #1 contender to fight the Cruz/Dillashaw winner. And Cruz/Dillashaw should have no rematch, because either Dillashaw will be 0-2 against Dom, or Dom will be on an 0-2 skid. Neither case warrants another title fight.
Cruz doesn't deserve this fight, regardless.

TJ had to get 2 wins after a very questionable decision loss to Dom. Why shouldn't he have to do the same? He has zero wins over the top10 at BW, if you discount the questionable win over TJ.

TJ has wins over 3 of the top10, 2 of the top5.

Cody too.... only a sole win over Cruz as his top10 wins

These guys need to get to work and actually earn a title shot this time around instead of getting gifts.

Regardless of the outcome TJ > Cruz.

TJ will win this though, fairly easily. Dom fans will still cry and say that Cruz wasn't in his prime anymore.

TJ has the better wins than Cruz and was robbed in their title fight. You gotta beat the champ to be the champ.

These guys need to get to work and actually earn a title shot this time around instead of getting gifts.

Maybe so, but the precedent has been set. Tons of guys are getting title shots because they are better known fighters, or previous champions. At some point the UFC is going to have to put a stop to this nonsense, but it's probably not going to be with Cruz.

Dominic Cruz is the greatest 135er ever, there can be no doubt of that. And I would suspect if Cruz and Dillshaw DO fight, that it's also Dillashaw pushing for the fight. Put yourself in Dillashaw's shoes: You can fight Assuncao, Moraes, or Cruz. Who are you going to fight? Obviously Cruz does those most for Dillashaw's legacy, and he probably feels Dominic might be the easiest of the 3 fights.

I agree with you that in theory losing a fight should AUTOMATICALLY drop you 5 spots on the ranking, and you should have to have a minimum of 2-3 fight win streak against top competition to earn a title shot. But until the UFC start enforcing those rules with lesser known fighters, it's not going to happen with big names.

That would be fucking stupid so yeah that's probably what will happen.

The UFC seems to get itself stuck in these endless fucking loops of the same fighters challenging for the belt. They need to sort their match making out.

Regardless of the outcome TJ > Cruz.

TJ will win this though, fairly easily. Dom fans will still cry and say that Cruz wasn't in his prime anymore.

TJ has the better wins than Cruz and was robbed in their title fight. You gotta beat the champ to be the champ.

He isnt.
He wont be able to win this fight because his body was broken before.

Back