NRA's Dana Loesch hosts bizare video featuring Thomas & Friends characters in Klan hoods

It's not forced, no one is forced to watch Thomas....
There have been many cartoons in the 80s and earlier with ethnically diverse characters and locations. Artistic creators do it partly to keep a program interesting and exciting. It gets a bit dull to see the same English / Welsh countryside every episode.

I think that putting other cultures into children's programming is 100% cultural engineering, and we 100% should do it.

I wonder how often people, even war room types, take the time to consider, just what is cultural engineering, and how present it is. Many times in very positive ways.

As an example. The message that violence is 100% unacceptable(unless you do it wearing a uniform). From church, to TV, to books, this message is carried and re-enforfed time and again. This for the most part, is a good thing.

Part of what is shocking to me as I become more politically educated, is understanding why the lies are told, and how the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

There is hyperbole in this video, but the crux of her message isn't all that unsound.

Said every propagandist ever.

Imagine the fear monger video leftists could put together and then tell me if you still agree with that tactic.

What does this have to do with guns? Why is the NRA commenting on it?

Not sure . . . but she's always commenting on "non-gun" stuff . . .

What does Thomas the Tank Engine have to do with gun rights ?

Why would everything NRATV or Dana Loesch comments on need to be about gun rights only? She has a daily radio show that discusses current events outside of all things gun.

Why would everything NRATV or Dana Loesch comments on need to be about gun rights only? She has a daily radio show that discusses current events outside of all things gun.

I'm pro 2nd. This is part of why I do not like the NRA.

So a show that displays other cultures is somehow detrimental to kids. Soon these kids will actually be okay with being around non-whites. Oh the horror.

It's funny how to many the central philosophy of conservativism is if it ain't white it ain't right. And somehow they are shocked when they are seen as racist as fuck. Might as well just own it.

See, I think most people have a fundamental misunderstanding of the kind of company Thomas and Friends actually is. Several years back I had dinner with the venture capitalist who, at the time owned the franchise. As my kids were preschool aged I was interested in the topic and got an enlightening picture of the company. While it’s true the show is based on a series of children’s books and was originally formulated as a media property, it has been traded off from one investment group to another for decades and, today, is a very different business model.

The company’s primary product today is not children’s entertainment but toys, amusement parks and licenced merchandise. For years those shows have been, first and foremost, commercials to sell wooden train sets and park tickets. Any interest they have in molding young minds is tertiary at best. When they come up with characters like this, they aren’t introducing an idea, they’re introducing a product. Likely one that millions in R&D has gone into and that they’re confident they can profit from. While I have little doubt the actual show producers, writers, directors, voice actors, etc. are personally progressive (as most in entertainment are) and in favor of these characters for their own reasons, those producers are still fundamentally making television commercials for toys the property owners believe they can sell to mostly-white progressive parents.
Regarding children's entertainment: It's been a fact for a long time now that toys and merchandise is often times more profitable than the actual movie or program.

I am sure the commercial aspect of introducing new content was important for the show's creators but I am sure they would have done it even if weren't the case. The kids show Theodore Tug features the same sort of anthropomorphic concept as Thomas, but features tugs and boats instead. The director for Thomas and Friends also direct dozens of episodes of Theodore Tug. Kids who liked Thomas would be amenable to watching Theodore Tug because it is similar but still different. Introducing new engines to Thomas provides the same sort of enticement for kids.

So a show that displays other cultures is somehow detrimental to kids. Soon these kids will actually be okay with being around non-whites. Oh the horror.

It's funny how to many the central philosophy of conservativism is if it ain't white it ain't right. And somehow they are shocked when they are seen as racist as fuck. Might as well just own it.
And some rightwingers love to say the Democrats are the racist party because the Klan used to be Dem. Whenever I see this from a rightwinger, I consider it trolling.

This video in particular or because she has a job outside of being an NRA spokesperson?

Because the NRA is involved in far more then protecting gun rights.

Because they have officials who publicly broadcast their political beliefs outside of guns.

In all fairness I feel the same way about planned Parenthood, and I also support abortion.

They both should be classified as arms of the national Republican and democrat parties.

Because the NRA is involved in far more then protecting gun rights.

So you disagree with their gun safety training/learning program and curriculum? As well as the Youth Education Summit?

Because they have officials who publicly broadcast their political beliefs outside of guns.

I agree that the whole Thomas the Tank Engine junk was unnecessary . . . . any other examples of political beliefs they have broadcasted publicly?

In all fairness I feel the same way about planned Parenthood, and I also support abortion.

I don't really pay attention to what that particular groups says about anything.

They both should be classified as arms of the national Republican and democrat parties.

Maybe.

And some rightwingers love to say the Democrats are the racist party because the Klan used to be Dem. Whenever I see this from a rightwinger, I consider it trolling.
The irony is they are trying to portray the KKK as an insult, yet they are completely agreeing with their philosophy on this. It doesn't even make sense.

Yeah and this isn't some podunk group portraying racist ideas, this is a major organization aligned with right wing politics doing it. There is zero plausible deniability here.

Holy hell, imagine being triggered by a fictional train from Africa.

Right wingers are another breed of stupid i tell ya what

So you disagree with their gun safety training/learning program and curriculum? As well as the Youth Education Summit?

I agree that the whole Thomas the Tank Engine junk was unnecessary . . . . any other examples of political beliefs they have broadcasted publicly?

I don't really pay attention to what that particular groups says about anything.

Maybe.

I've seen some things I might be able to find again if I tried, but really it comes down to what I consider the real axis of evil, which is the NRA, ALEC, and the Chamber of Commerce who have rotating board members, and make up a large chunk of the republican establishment.

No worries though, like I said, the Dems have their own version of this in planned parenthood, afl-cio, SPLC, ect. We will call them the illussion of choice, as opposed to the real axis of evil.

Keyword is used. The Klan used to be democratic but now you see them openly supporting trump and the sorry republic party.

Not all republicans are racist, but all racists are republican.

Regarding children's entertainment: It's been a fact for a long time now that toys and merchandise is often times more profitable than the actual movie or program.

I am sure the commercial aspect of introducing new content was important for the show's creators but I am sure they would have done it even if weren't the case. The kids show Theodore Tug features the same sort of anthropomorphic concept as Thomas, but features tugs and boats instead. The director for Thomas and Friends also direct dozens of episodes of Theodore Tug. Kids who liked Thomas would be amenable to watching Theodore Tug because it is similar but still different. Introducing new engines to Thomas provides the same sort of enticement for kids.

Well the guy I met isn’t the current owner so ultimately this is speculation on both of our parts, but if whomever is running the ship there is anything like this guy then I promise, your confidence in the bolded statement above would drop to zero. This is a guy who is natively extremely conservative but with politics that are subordinate to a value system he holds in much higher regard - dollars and cents. You have a guy there who would absolutely introduce those characters for the benjamins and laugh at any idealistic reasons that wouldn’t involve an ROI. For my part, I assume most ultra-rich venture capitalists run a similar operating system.

Poor Thomas was forced. Diversity and multiculturalism was introduced in the 60's-70's. People just didn't know what was going happen.

Oh damn I had no idea diversity and multiculturalism didn't exist till the 60s.

Maybe.

I posted the episode that had the Thomas stuff, and it had multiple other non-2A right wing opinion pieces as well.

They aren't just 2A, they are just a right wing propaganda group. They should just stop denying it. These stuff is just further blatant examples of that.

Back