Who did you have winning Canelo Alvarez vs. GGG 2?

Who did you have winning?

• Total voters
Dug up this post of mine from immediately after Canelo/GGG 1.

I think going after Canelo early and investing more in the body is the way to go. A good deal of rounds Golovkin won by outworking Canelo - imo he shouldn't do anything to compromise that. He fought the perfect fight for him when he was able to get Saul along the ropes and box him without getting into Canelo's preferred range. You can tell he kept waiting for the uppercut to come back.

I think Canelo can do some things differently. Golovkin doesn't fight moving backwards; he defends well and resets to get his momentum going again. I think pushing Golovkin back gives Saul the opportunity to keep Golovkin from outworking him. Now Canelo himself doesn't look very good going forward and I don't expect him to score a lot of points that way, but he can at least keep GGG from continually mounting his offense and consistently looking like the aggressor. He doesn't have to do it a lot more, just enough to give himself the breathing room he wants in the middle of the rounds.

I think doing that ^^^ though relies on him figuring out how to fight more without expending more energy. He didn't look gassed on Saturday but he looked like a guy who was worried about it.

GGG actually fought better going backwards than I thought, and Canelo fought better moving forward than I've ever seen him. But I was pretty darn close.

Last edited:
Depends on the judges.

Some judges give credit for defensive skills etc

Depending on how the round goes, they should. But not like Byrd. She’ll give you points for defense despite not being the clean puncher or effective aggressor.

Not a boxing expert by any means. Does "aggression" win rounds? If not I had GGG winning.
"Effective aggression" is one of the 4 scoring criteria. So, the guy coming forward shouldn't be getting credit for it unless he does something with it. If he's getting outboxed and countered, then his aggression may not be effective.

The other 3 criteria are clean effective punching, defense and ring generalship.

I didn’t know that about Lennox nevertheless;

Going back to the original point that people who though Golovkin won don’t know shit about boxing, most of the fight writers thought Golovkin won.

I can respect people have a different selection criteria when deciding who won a fight but to say most of the fight writers don’t know shit about boxing is ridiculous.

Fight writers are old school, as are a lot of commentators, the exact same people who said GGG won the first fight because he led the centre of the ring and commanded the fight, have done a giant flip-flop, and decided he was better on the backfoot.

It seems thier scoring criteria has changed between fights.

Canelo landed the better harder shots in both fights, that is not a fact you can really dispute. If you are then giving GGG the first fight for being in the centre of the ring and controlling the action, how the fuck can you give him the second fight, when he was clearly on the backfoot the whole time?

Fight writers are old school, as are a lot of commentators, the exact same people who said GGG won the first fight because he led the centre of the ring and commanded the fight, have done a giant flip-flop, and decided he was better on the backfoot.

It seems thier scoring criteria has changed between fights.

Canelo landed the better harder shots in both fights, that is not a fact you can really dispute. If you are then giving GGG the first fight for being in the centre of the ring and controlling the action, how the fuck can you give him the second fight, when he was clearly on the backfoot the whole time?

I think Canelo and GGGs styles match up in a way that people can kind of see what they want to see. If you like Golovkin you see him landing the hard jab, that’s what you credit. If you like Canelo and see his body punching, that’s what you focus on.

The thing that probably edged the first fight for Golovkin (I’ve only scored that one a draw or in GGGs favor, more the latter) was his ring generalship. Canelo has that this time around (and better defense) and that’s what tilted some closer rounds in his favor.

Golovkins jab is bad ass though. I kind of slept on it in the Lemieux fight because it’s easy to hit a guy that blocks punches with his face but it’s the real deal.

Canelo. Its absolutely baffling how people scored it for GGG. At best i can guess its a combination of people being the influenced by the dumb ass commentators who kept exxagerating GGGs glancing punches and even saying he landed multiple shots he wasnt even throwing lol.

That and as another poster noted some of his fan base cant come to terms with him not being an invincible terminator.

Ggg turned it on more during the tail end but thats no where near enough to win a whole fight.

Too many people giving Canelo credit for not running away. He did stay in the middle, but he wasn't controlling the fight. It's weird watching a guy get beat up for the last 6 round be called the winner. GGG worked him. Lulled him into the pocket, threw with volume, gassed Canelo, took over the fight. Like clockwork.

I had the dude controlling the ring and landing more power punches winning, as opposed to the one walking backwards and jabbing all night because of the pressure.

Really? I had the guy who punched the other one more winning the fight against the winging power puncher who faded dramatically after 6 competitive rounds.

Really? I had the guy who punched the other one more winning the fight against the winging power puncher who faded dramatically after 6 competitive rounds.

This isn’t amateur boxing in 1998. Fights aren’t scored by total punches landed in the professionals, and it’s a good thing too.

This isn’t amateur boxing in 1998. Fights aren’t scored by total punches landed in the professionals, and it’s a good thing too.

Ok. That doesn't change the fact that you win fights by landing punches. GGG was better at it. This time Canelo happened to take it instead of running from it.

Ok. That doesn't change the fact that you win fights by landing punches. GGG was better at it. This time Canelo happened to take it instead of running from it.

You win fights by landing the better punches 7 rounds or more out of 12. You don’t win the round just because you landed more punches that round either. Look up how boxing scoring works, comprehensively. I don’t even mean to sound rude, but you’re just uninformed about the rules.

Golovkin 7-5. There were a few swing rounds in there but before locking in a permanent scorecard that's how I saw it on the night.

Too many people giving Canelo credit for not running away. He did stay in the middle, but he wasn't controlling the fight. It's weird watching a guy get beat up for the last 6 round be called the winner. GGG worked him. Lulled him into the pocket, threw with volume, gassed Canelo, took over the fight. Like clockwork.
THIS!! This is exactly what I saw. Had it 7-5 for GGG. He turned it into overdrive towards the last 3 rounds and had Canelo wobbly a couple times.

Rewatched it. Still 6-5-1 Canelo with a few close rounds.

All punches are not equal.

Dug up this post of mine from immediately after Canelo/GGG 1.

GGG actually fought better going backwards than I thought, and Canelo fought better moving forward than I've ever seen him. But I was pretty darn close.
No one likes a bragger lol jk

Awesome ability to see it

Andre Ward, Jermall Charlo and Errol Spence had Canelo winning for the same reasons I did. Even Abel Sanchez, GGG’s trainer, said it was a fair decision.

“Winging” power puncher? Canelo was more accurate. He wasn’t just “winging” punches. He walked him down and applied pressure for the majority of the fight.

I felt GGG took too many rounds off early on, then didn't do enough at the end to take it back. Canelo also looked so improved, I'm not sure if it was better game-planning / training, but he just looked so sharp. GGG at times looked his age, like he was slowing down when in the first fight he grew stronger the longer it went on.

I am by no means an expert but I had GGG clearly winning the first fight, and Canelo winning this one, albeit by a smaller margin. It was an awesome fight IMO.

Back