Emmanuel Steward predicted 2018

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score

What an amazing person
And a keen eye for this great sport

Legend for sure. But maybe he thought Wilder would actually develop some technique to go along with all that pure talent. I don't think he did.

Joshua is the consensus top heavyweight tho.
Also, Wilder isn't "bigger than Wladimir", he's about 25 pounds lighter.

Last edited:
Legend for sure. But maybe he thought Wilder would actually develop some technique to go along with all that pure talent. I don't think he did.

People say he doesn't have technique but he did make it to the Olympics, and placed. He won a bronze medal. To make it that far without technique would seem absurd. Unless he knocked out everyone in the amateur circuit as well.

His lack of technique comes when he goes for the finish in my view. That is when he fights like a man possessed.

I don't get that impression. He says that Wilder has good speed and power. To me, that implies that he has an understanding of what those can bring to the table. Wilder is still green as hell and had he started boxing when he was 8 years old like some, he would have been champion for awhile already. He is always going to be behind on technique. There are 15-16 year old kids with better technique and more time in the gym training. Wilder will likely have a good career shrouded with the question of "what would have it been had he started earlier?"

People say he doesn't have technique but he did make it to the Olympics, and placed. He won a bronze medal. To make it that far without technique would seem absurd. Unless he knocked out everyone in the amateur circuit as well.

His lack of technique comes when he goes for the finish in my view. That is when he fights like a man possessed.
The USA Olympic team isn't our best though. We push our best into the pros because they make us money. Yeah, we have guys transition from amateurs to pro and do extremely well. Amateurs are just different than pro fights all around.

I don't get that impression. He says that Wilder has good speed and power. To me, that implies that he has an understanding of what those can bring to the table. Wilder is still green as hell and had he started boxing when he was 8 years old like some, he would have been champion for awhile already. He is always going to be behind on technique. There are 15-16 year old kids with better technique and more time in the gym training. Wilder will likely have a good career shrouded with the question of "what would have it been had he started earlier?"

Joshua has only been boxing about 10 years and has far better technique! Wilder has certain aspects of his game that are exceptional but he was never going to be a technical fighter, no matter if he has started earlier. And HW is the only division that you can get away with it at the top level because size/length and power can play such a large part

manny knew his sport but even the experts are wrong alot, he's wrong.

The USA Olympic team isn't our best though. We push our best into the pros because they make us money. Yeah, we have guys transition from amateurs to pro and do extremely well. Amateurs are just different than pro fights all around.

We've struggled as of late. The US use to define boxing. I think we still do, but the tide is shifting to being more diverse. In order to make it to the Olympics you have to put your work in, definitely have to put your work in. Amateur style boxing is about who can land a clean punch with the white circle on the glove (I'm sure you knew that already).

Being that Wilder was 30-5 I believe he would have to have shown some competency accompanied with the fact that he was considered, made it through trials and was selected. A lot of good fighters don't even make the team, they'll be an alternate. Amateur fighting does require technique, however, with it being 3 rounds the chances of it turning into a brawl and a test of anaerobic conditioning is also there.

I would hope a fighter who has a chance to fight the Olympics does so, it's not required to succeed as a pro true. However, you're bargaining power is that much greater. I think Wilder gets a bad rap. Anytime guys argue over his technique I just remind them as of now, he still has stopped everyone he has ever faced. We all know the KO is the ultimate victory in boxing.

We've struggled as of late. The US use to define boxing. I think we still do, but the tide is shifting to being more diverse. In order to make it to the Olympics you have to put your work in, definitely have to put your work in. Amateur style boxing is about who can land a clean punch with the white circle on the glove (I'm sure you knew that already).

Being that Wilder was 30-5 I believe he would have to have shown some competency accompanied with the fact that he was considered, made it through trials and was selected. A lot of good fighters don't even make the team, they'll be an alternate. Amateur fighting does require technique, however, with it being 3 rounds the chances of it turning into a brawl and a test of anaerobic conditioning is also there.

I would hope a fighter who has a chance to fight the Olympics does so, it's not required to succeed as a pro true. However, you're bargaining power is that much greater. I think Wilder gets a bad rap. Anytime guys argue over his technique I just remind them as of now, he still has stopped everyone he has ever faced. We all know the KO is the ultimate victory in boxing.

He didn't fight anyone good in their prime and the division aged terribly. He fought "challenges" way too late. Wilder is on top of a division thats the weakest ive ever seen it and has weaker opposition than even Marciano's era. I don't think he gets it bad, I think it's fair to judge the game on how you see it.

He didn't fight anyone good in their prime and the division aged terribly. He fought "challenges" way too late. Wilder is on top of a division thats the weakest ive ever seen it and has weaker opposition than even Marciano's era. I don't think he gets it bad, I think it's fair to judge the game on how you see it.

This is wrong on so many levels.....

he also said that Stevenson would easily beat Cloud and Dawson.

Manny told a story once about how Tommy Hearns walked into his gym for the first time as a kid. Manny decided to throw him in on his first day to spar some other kid who was far more experienced. The Other Kid beat the piss out of Tommy, busted his nose up pretty good, iirc.

Tommy came back the very next day and Manny said he knew this Hearns kid was gonna be something special. It's easy to say he's blinded by the whole "hindsight is 20/20" stuff, and that could be true. But Manny saw a lot kids go through Kronk and he made some great fighters out of them. If anyone knew talent when they saw it, Manny was one of the handful of best. Not only as a trainer, but also as having a great eye for talent.

Rest Easy Manny. We love ya.

"OH MA GAWD!"

Back