Elizabeth Warren Releases DNA Test Showing "Strong Evidence" of Native American Ancestry

How would they know? Her appearance doesn't reflect it.

Small town everybody knows everybody and her mom is from a family that had Native American relatives?

Why you making me follow you down this rabbit hole of idiocy? I am no expert in how people used to know or do shit back in 40s...

Are you doubting it was more racist back in the 40s and that shit couldn’t possibly be true?

Why is it ridiculous? The family told her about the ancestor and when challenged she proved it to be true.

My family has done the same exact thing. We found out that we have a distant ancestor that was Native American and we thought it was really cool. I never used it on an application for anything, I look European and I never tried to join a tribe! But it's just a cool fact about our ancestor.

People made a big deal out of what Warren said out of tribal politics (taking Trump's racist and mocking lead) and got busted when she proved them wrong. It's glorious!
<WellThere>

Why didn't you try to use it to benefit yourself?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/politics/elizabeth-warren-dna-test-native-american/index.html

So now that there is proof that Warren has Native American ancestry like she has said in the past, do you think Trump will stop with his racist and insensitive language towards Sen. Warren or will he double down on his racism and continue to mock her heritage?
LMAO, how gullible are you?

She has a Native American ancestor estimated eight generations deep meaning she is 1/256th Cherokee. I'm willing to bet nearly a third of Americans have that much Native American blood in them.

She's white, and Donald Trump was 100% correct about her. Cultural appropriation? This bitch is the poster child for an example of that which is actually problematic; particularly considering she used this to passively (at the least) to advance her careers both in academia and in politics.

You're not wrong about what you said, but note that she explicitly affirmed that from the start (that she had no official status, didn't apply for it, and wouldn't get it if she did).

While true, it's more in relation to past practices. Claiming to be indigenous in varying academic circles with her level of heritage would likely get someone without her name-insulation tarred and feathered in a contemporary university setting. I don't see many public figures getting a pass "because that was just more acceptable back then" these days. Not to say it doesn't happen, but each time it does it begs the question of whether the exoneration is done in a genuine spirit or politically motivated. I can't help but feel like many who give her a pass will do so because of her politics and not the details of her practices, and the same is true for those who don't give her a pass.

If someone wants to claim that Harvard was "insensitive," I mean, I think that claim itself is really oversensitive and likely made in bad faith, but OK. It's kind of impossible to argue about.

I think it's safe to say that a majority of the population will, as you seem to be suggesting, not be sensitive towards these issues. I think it's also reasonable to say that a not insignificant minority will be very sensitive towards issues regarding ethnicity and race. There is a fairly large subsection of what one could call the progressive movement that treats ethnic makeup as a component of the currency of experience insofar as experience has a moral weight to it. I can't imagine this group would be forgiving towards someone who presents white and has had a fairly privileged upbringing claiming indigeneity and then offers the evidence that Warren now has to exonerate her practices in claiming the heritage.

How is it not a clear vindication for her? Frankly, I wouldn't have expected any, as dubious claims of NA ancestry are common where she comes from. I trusted that she was repeating something she actually heard rather than making something up, and I think the evidence is clear that she received no career benefits from it. But to people who were suspicious and thought she made up the claim, the fact that it turned out to be true should settle the issue.

In relation to past practices this test might vindicate her claim, but not her past actions.. Claiming "I have a distant relation who is indigenous" is a fine factual claim to make, but that being true alone does not give one a credible case to present oneself as indigenous. I just can't see this:

"Harvard Law School in the 1990s touted Warren, then a professor in Cambridge, as being "Native American." They singled her out, Warren later acknowledged, because she had listed herself as a minority in an Association of American Law Schools directory. Critics note that she had not done that in her student applications and during her time as a teacher at the University of Texas."

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/29/politics/elizabeth-warren-native-american-pocahontas/index.html

Being something that would go without extreme criticism today.

What does the video say and what does it prove? I don't watch videos while at work.
it is her 15 seconds in saying her parent shad to elope because her momma was part cherokee and delaware. nobody would be able to tell someone was 1/512th native. fuck outta here with that

What does the video say and what does it prove? I don't watch videos while at work.
Warren is stating that her mom was disliked by her father's parents because Warren claims her mother was "part Cherokee and part Delaware" Indian.

A DNA company says Warren might have a Native American relative 8 generations back. If the rest of her ancestry was white, You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her mother that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware Indian.

I think Warren is just trying to score social justice points.

He doesn't owe her a cent.

He said, "...if she is Indian." She doesn't even fit the 1/16th minimum to check a box on a college application. She's whiter than a Bing Crosby song.

She has a Native American ancestor estimated eight generations deep meaning she is 1/256th Cherokee. I'm willing to bet nearly a third of Americans have that much Native American blood in them.

She's white, and Donald Trump was 100% correct about her. Cultural appropriation? This bitch is the poster child for an example of that which is actually problematic; particularly considering she used this to passively (at the least) to advance her careers both in academia and in politics.
you're just trying to hold minorities down.

Trump should give her 977 dollars. Then cancel the check and tell her he's part indian.

This 100%. People get pissed about white people selling tacos, getting a haircut, or doing yoga. This bitch is actually doing the race version of stolen valor.

you're just trying to hold minorities down.
I bet her family gathered around every Christmas to tell the detailed stories of her ancestor who lived around the late 18th century to early 19th century. I'm sure that ancestor's stories defined every subsequent branch of her family for....6-10 generations.

You know, the one she needed a 21st century blood test to prove even existed.

Why is it ridiculous? The family told her about the ancestor and when challenged she proved it to be true.

My family has done the same exact thing. We found out that we have a distant ancestor that was Native American and we thought it was really cool. I never used it on an application for anything, I look European and I never tried to join a tribe! But it's just a cool fact about our ancestor.

People made a big deal out of what Warren said out of tribal politics (taking Trump's racist and mocking lead) and got busted when she proved them wrong. It's glorious!
When you claim to be part Cherokee, you really don't expect 6 to 10 generations ago. If I claim to be part black, you'd expect my parents or grandparents to be black, not someone from the 18th century. I'd mock her too for that.

<WellThere>

Why didn't you try to use it to benefit yourself?

I was never in a position to use it to my advantage. And I wouldn't unless I could confirm it with a DNA test, which were not accessible when I was applying to college 20 years ago. I wouldn't use it unless I knew it with some confidence.

it is her 15 seconds in saying her parent shad to elope because her momma was part cherokee and delaware. nobody would be able to tell someone was 1/512th native. fuck outta here with that

Warren is stating that her mom was disliked by her father's parents because Warren claims her mother was "part Cherokee and part Delaware" Indian.

A DNA company says Warren might have a Native American relative 8 generations back. If the rest of her ancestry was white, You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her mother that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware Indian.

Ok, you don't believe her story. Whatever. The fact remains Trump mocked her and she was actually telling the truth. It's unreal that you would continue to hammer her comments yet won't deal with Trump. Tribalism is a bitch.

She obviously did it to gain brownie points with the voters to line up her presidential run. You shouldn't be able to claim relationship from certain ancestry throughout the ages just because we got a tiny bit of DNA down the line. That just smacks of pandering.

That's completely false, though. It was brought up by Brown to try to discredit her. She didn't bring it up at all. And then she responded to Trump's taunting to back up her claim. There's no pandering at all. If Brown and then Trump hadn't brought it up, no one would be discussing it. It's just a way to distract from issues and competence, where she's extremely strong.

When you claim to be part Cherokee, you really don't expect 6 to 10 generations ago. If I claim to be part black, you'd expect my parents or grandparents to be black, not someone from the 18th century. I'd mock her too for that.
Why? Because you said so based on your arbitrary cut-off?

The fact is as DNA technology continues with incredible advancements and becomes more accessible we're going to learn a lot about ourselves, which is really cool. Maybe instead of getting mad about it you should embrace it.

I was never in a position to use it to my advantage. And I wouldn't unless I could confirm it with a DNA test, which were not accessible when I was applying to college 20 years ago. I wouldn't use it unless I knew it with some confidence.

Ok, you don't believe her story. Whatever. The fact remains Trump mocked her and she was actually telling the truth. It's unreal that you would continue to hammer her comments yet won't deal with Trump. Tribalism is a bitch.
Liar
She gave the exact person who was Cherokee. Going off these numbers that impossible. It’s not even likely that person had that genetic makeup she claimed for herself.

This is the thing. Some of her past practices are highly questionable relative to her heritage, but once again the orange one was shooting his mouth off in a way that rings false. Yeah, be critical of her for claiming heritage in the way she did, but also try and be bipartisan and be critical of Trump for once again shooting his mouth off without cause.

Ok, you don't believe her story. Whatever.
Do you believe Warren's story that her father's parents didn't want him to marry her mother because they knew she was part Delaware and part Cherokee Indian?

Back