Majority draws should be split decisions

Teddy Brukshot

Top Shotta
Banned
Reaction score
A majority draw is a dumb idea and also logically flawed, a better solution would be to have it as a split decision. This would stop situations where fighters such as Tyron Woodley and Matt Frevola are robbed of wins. It would also mean that Wonderboy would have not got an undeserved second title shot and that Lando Vanatta would probably be on his way out of the UFC. Here is the maths behind it: we have three judges in MMA. In a split decision 2 vote for 1 fighter and 1 votes for the other other, making it 1-0. In a majority decision, 2 vote draw and 1 votes for 1 fighter making it 1-0. There is no logical reason for majority draws to exist. Hopefully this rectified and also Tyron and Matt's records are retrospectively fixed.

More true than Black Metal in the early 90's.

Terrible opinion, next.
Actually a very good opinion

If two judges score it a draw, then the decision of the final judge should make the difference. Prevents more draws (which help no one)

tenor.gif

Wooah, wooah slow down there egg head.

Recap on that tricky maths for us again.

Usually when people are this wrong, it's a pitiful attempt of trolling. But you, you seem to be dead serious. But you're still wrong. No matter how much you dislike draws (and who doesn't) you can't call someone a winner when only one out of three judges thinks they'd won. In US presidential election you can lose by millions of votes and still win, but that's still not how things are supposed to work. Two out of three judges agree it's a draw, it's a draw.

You're wrong about Lando/Frevola, but right about Woodley/WB, so i'll give your opinion a majority draw

Wooah, wooah slow down there egg head.

Recap on that tricky maths for us again.
OK I thought some people might struggle, I'll try illustrate it in a simpler way. So we have a red corner and a blue corner. We have three judges, a split decision is as follows:
Judge 1 - red
Judge 2 - red
Judge 3 - blue
Winner: red
A majority draw is:
Judge 1 - none
Judge 2 - none
Judge 3 - blue
Winner: none
Surely blue should have won that majority draw?

1 + 1 - 1 = 1
0 + 0 + 1 = 1

We'd just have to change what it's called. I dunno we could call it ummmmm........ a split decision?

And side with the minority, yeah that will totally go down well.

The concept is, of the 2 sitting judges, you need at least 2 to agree on a decision for it to stand. In case of majority draw, it simply means more people are likely to have seen the fight as even (2 out of 3) than going to either of the fighters (1 out of 3)

In any other sport if nothing happens twice and a team scores once. That team wins.

Yes, I'm sure everyone would hate avoiding draws.

What’s wrong with a draw, just because people cry if they think their boy deserved a win doesn’t necessarily make it so.

The concept is pretty simple, it takes at least two agreeing judges to come the conclusion of the fight, if 2 judges agree on it being a draw then it trumps the single judge. Giving the lone judge 100% power when his opinion is the minority is kind of dumb, we all don't like draws but this is a bad opinion.

What’s wrong with a draw, just because people cry if they think their boy deserved a win doesn’t necessarily make it so.

Because you want to go home with the match decided. You paid for the ticket to see who would win.

Back