Crime Police Officer Arrives on Scene, Shoots and Kills Armed Security Guard

This is why as a black man I don't think I could ever carry a gun.
Even if you do everything right and even save peoples lives when 12 shows up you just a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: with a gun and all bets are off.

"Scuffler"

I'm marking that down in my list of words

i can tell you in the gun/carry community this is probably one of peoples biggest concern and alot of the reason why some folks who carry would only get involved if their life or their familys life was in danger and may choose to not intervene in some instance

of course this being a security gaurd its a little different but having LE show up and not know whats going on and what that can lead to is very scary

Where does this situation sit in the gun debate?

Not much to debate about gun-wise. This seems like a conversation over police procedure. In my book this sounds like the cop should have begun with giving orders. Too much shooting first and asking questions later with these cop news stories.

here is a good example of the utter confusion that exists when police arrive on scene (Louie's bar shootin stopped by civlians)

they really have no idea whats going on and all they know is a bunch of dudes have guns

notice none of the civlians were shot though, so makes you wonder what happened in this instance with the security gaurd

Not much you can do about these situations. Cops are humans and they make mistakes too. The only issue here is that they will blast you away without hesitation if you aren't wearing a blue uniform.

Sounds like the officer panicked.

At the bars I worked at, they never called the cops because it was too much hassle.

Security roughed you up and threw you into the alley. I used to always say to the owner that wouldn't fly in Vancouver because the person would come back with a gun.

Does 911 not make people stay on the phone when they call anymore ?

Do cops not carry radios and talk to dispatch and receive info and updates ?

seems like this cop was missing a big piece of info that it seems to me he should have had

Sounds like the officer panicked.

At the bars I worked at, they never called the cops because it was too much hassle.

Security roughed you up and threw you into the alley. I used to always say to the owner that wouldn't fly in Vancouver because the person would come back with a gun.

They had to call the cops because of the guy opening fire. There was no way to avoid that.

Why did he have to make a quick decision when he saw an armed stranger holding a gun on another? Gee, I don't know.
I would assume security was dressed in security attire idk. Perhaps not

Not much to debate about gun-wise. This seems like a conversation over police procedure. In my book this sounds like the cop should have begun with giving orders. Too much shooting first and asking questions later with these cop news stories.

I do think this bolsters the argument those on the "ban all gun" side advocate. Our cops are paranoid. Training can't completely replace experience.

It also intersects with race and gender. If the security guard was a woman, especially a white or fair-skinned asian woman, I think it's safe to say he'd be viewed as less of a threat. Many have argued that the 2nd amendment is not equally available to all people, which is something that needs to be resolved, if possible.

Extremely unfortunate and avoidable situation, RIP to the security guard who put his life in danger to restrain the attacker. It seems like the officer made a terrible judgement call here..

Only a couple people making this about race is a step in the right direction.

The whole thing would never have happened if somebody walked by at just the right time with a golden retriever puppy.

Sound like the officer had to make a quick decision vs an armed stranger.

However, I suspected before opening the link that the victim was black or else it would even be news, so racism.

edit- *wouldn't

So basically shoot first and ask questions later.. When do cops not have to make a "quick decision?" Do police outside of the U.S never have to make quick decisions? When that's you're only defense, something is very wrong with the way they're trained.

And your attempt at bringing up his ethnicity as the reason for this being news is very telling.. Not to say that you're racist but that you've already got your mind made up and now feel the need to defend the police at all costs against liberal bias.

Where does this situation sit in the gun debate? Is this avoidable with better training and legislation or is this the unavoidable cost of freedom? That security guard was a hero and saved lives, only to be killed because...I dunno, because he had a gun, I guess. It's as if the 2nd amendment doesn't really apply to all people equally.
thoughts and prayers

geez, doesn't cops are trained to yell "drop the gun!"?

Back