I still think Aldo would have beat Khabib

Aldo’s TD defense is fantastic but when really makes him the wrestler killer is how he denies the shot with his footwork. There is no way that Aldo gets taken down off the sort of single leg that Khabib pulled on Conor from halfway across the cage. Speaking of which: Aldo’s knees are >>> than Conor’s.

Good post. How do you see this fight going? I can see Aldo taking it. People just dont understand how great Aldo's TDD really is. Dude can also bulk up some to add size to himself and in striking Aldo Would DESTROY khabib.

He can't fend off a series of takedowns he will be taken down there is no question about it at least from my perspective.

Aldo for me is over the hill I know 'he won' but so far for my eyes he has lost a step and durability isn't what it used to be.

"2 inches smaller". Aldo is probably a legit 5'6 and Khabib is 5'9.5.View attachment 517225

Dont want to argue the 2 or 3 inches so I'll give it to you. Fighting is not based on height though. This isnt the height fighting league. Aldo used to make videos of himself having trouble making 155 so he is a big FW. He can easily add some more weight and muscle for 155.

He can't fend off a series of takedowns he will be taken down there is no question about it at least from my perspective.

Aldo for me is over the hill I know 'he won' but so far for my eyes he has lost a step and durability isn't what it used to be.

Okay, maybe he is not in his prime but he were in his prime I am sure he would have a good chance of beating Khabib. I am not sure if Khabib would have taken him down in one of the first 2 rounds and we all know Aldo's Striking is vastly superior to Khabibs. Would have been a great fight.

You've heard wrong. Why bother cutting weight if it's better to be the smaller guy?

This is a quote from somewhere "In wrestling, strength and weight are probably dominant factors. Those being equal, I would think the shorter persons lower centre of gravity may give them and advantage in takedowns, as it's easier to upset someone with a higher center of gravity than a lower one."

I was also referring to this and now you are going to say this is wrong? Really?

EDIT: btw I have been referring to height not the weight.

Good post. How do you see this fight going? I can see Aldo taking it. People just dont understand how great Aldo's TDD really is. Dude can also bulk up some to add size to himself and in striking Aldo Would DESTROY khabib.

The size difference is massive. That’s one problem. I worry about Aldo’s gas tank, and what’s more, Khabib is durable as fuck. I think Aldo has a chance but definitely an underdog.

TDD isn't the key to beat Khabib, imho.
Even if you stuff all his attempts and do everything to not let him get close, would probably lead to a decision win for khabib.

To beat Khabib you'll have an elite gas tank and being able to reduce damage once khabib is on top. Outside of a hail mary punch i really believe durable guys like Tony or Max are the ones with a good shot.

Conor has the stand up game, but lacks cardio.

The key for khabib against max or Tony would be being boring. Don't waste energy. Don't smesh and be exhausted in the final rounds. Khabib has a clever camp, he would adjust.

Khabib vs the funky one would be interesting...

Okay, maybe he is not in his prime but he were in his prime I am sure he would have a good chance of beating Khabib. I am not sure if Khabib would have taken him down in one of the first 2 rounds and we all know Aldo's Striking is vastly superior to Khabibs. Would have been a great fight.

There is no way he avoids the clinch and incoming chain wrestling.. Khabib isn't this 1 shot guy in fact the first takedown he usually fails the first attempt per say but he gets his hands on you that's the main objective and you have to fend of what fallows the second try, the third etc.. he gets you down there is no ifs about it it just is a matter of when.

The other aspect is this is very taxing cardio wise to constant attack like that so he has a tendency in the later rounds 4/5th to rely less on this that's why guys can fend him off with better success if they get there problem is by then they are probably down 3 rounds on the scorecards and themselves are compromised and they are managing their last bit of energy and putting up thier last try to win.

Even if you stuff all his attempts and do everything to not let him get close, would probably lead to a decision win for khabib.

To beat Khabib you'll have an elite gas tank and being able to reduce damage once khabib is on top. Outside of a hail mary punch i really believe durable guys like Tony or Max are the ones with a good shot.

The key for khabib against max or Tony would be being boring. Don't waste energy. Don't smesh and be exhausted in the final rounds. Khabib has a clever camp, he would adjust.

I dont think Max has any chance of beating Khabib. Max can have all the gas tank he needs but it wont do anything for him when his tdd is not close to what Aldo's is.

This is a quote from somewhere "In wrestling, strength and weight are probably dominant factors. Those being equal, I would think the shorter persons lower centre of gravity may give them and advantage in takedowns, as it's easier to upset someone with a higher center of gravity than a lower one."

I was also referring to this and now you are going to say this is wrong? Really?

EDIT: btw I have been referring to height not the weight.

An important distinction. Fair enough.

Although I would say, if you're going to cite sources, claiming they're 'from somewhere' doesn't exactly make it sound legitimate. That may well have been a quote from some chump who can't wrestle for all we know.

I dont think Max has any chance of beating Khabib. Max can have all the gas tank he needs but it wont do anything for him when his tdd is not close to what Aldo's is.

If Khabib fights smart you're right.

If khabib tries to smesh and gets tired in the 4th or 5th? Oh boy Max would be in his face and push the pace like crazy. Don't know if he survives the Volume Max is capable to bring

Aldo has amazing TDD, but Khabib is relentless with his takedowns and would get them. I think Khabib would put him against the fence and take him down there, but not be able to in the middle. Also one of Aldo's best attributes are his leg kicks, and it would be a huge risk to try and leg kick Khabib, because he would just shoot straight away.

TD defense IS key, because if you can’t keep the fight on the feet, your standup is worthless (see every Askren fight). Khabib will take Max and Tony down with ease and I really doubt that even Tony can muster something on his back. Khabib will shut him down and wreck him.

Askren would be interesting, but if Khabib wants to box him, he will have a field day. Askren’s striking still sucks, and his cardio didn’t look too good against that roided out russian.

An important distinction. Fair enough.

Although I would say, if you're going to cite sources, claiming they're 'from somewhere' doesn't exactly make it sound legitimate. That may well have been a quote from some chump who can't wrestle for all we know.

But you seem like you know what youre talking about, do you know about this or have you ever heard anyone say this?

TD defense IS key, because if you can’t keep the fight on the feet, your standup is worthless (see every Askren fight). Khabib will take Max and Tony down with ease and I really doubt that even Tony can muster something on his back. Khabib will shut him down and wreck him.

Askren would be interesting, but if Khabib wants to box him, he will have a field day. Askren’s striking still sucks, and his cardio didn’t look too good against that roided out russian.

Tbh i don't see anyone outgrappling Khabib and stuff his TD's at 155, so i favor cardio over TDD. Khabib was in two 5 round fights (correct me if im wrong) and took one round off in each fight.
He controlled both fights but had to take a round off the gas pedal.
What will happen if someone is able to push him to the fence and not give him that break?

Tbh i don't see anyone outgrappling Khabib and stuff his TD's at 155, so i favor cardio over TDD. Khabib was in two 5 round fights (correct me if im wrong) and took one round off in each fight.
He controlled both fights but had to take a round off the gas pedal.
What will happen if someone is able to push him to the fence and not give him that break?

I don’t know. It really is hard to be aggressive against guys like Khabib, because any time you step forward, you are creating an opportunity to get locked up. Also, a fighter who has spent two rounds on his back vs Khabib will not be exerting pressure effectively - he will not be bouncing in and out on his toes and angling out.

Back