Lawler was out (GIF inside)

Was Robbie out?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Did you listen to Robbie at the press conference?

-he said it wasn't a choke, Askren's arm was around his right year and his left ear was pushed into Askren's body, so he couldn't hear a word Herb was saying

-He said he was perfectly content with letting Askren gas his arms out keeping that headlock

-He said he never went out, not even for a milisecond. He showed ZERO symptoms of someone who just got choked out.
You new to this sport? Fighters lie all the fucking time in order to get their way or whenever it benefits them. In this case where theres literal hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line for robbie as well as his record, why wouldn't you lie?

Why do people mindless say, "Robbie wasn't getting out of that choke"? The first time Askren grabbed Robbie, he picked up an slammed on his head. True, Ben had a headlock. But, he was also giving up a waistlock. If Herb Dean had done his job properly and allowed the completely conscious Robbie to continue, I think he would have slammed Askren again on his head...and then pounded his face into mush. Ben got such a gift...he's sooooooo lucky things went the way they did. That's why he doesn't want a rematch: Ben knows he got very lucky.

Jarl

If you watch his legs it looks like they went limp also. Just saying, I’m not presuming to know what happened but from what I’ve observed it seems like he was out momentarily.

Why do people mindless say, "Robbie wasn't getting out of that choke"? The first time Askren grabbed Robbie, he picked up an slammed on his head. True, Ben had a headlock. But, he was also giving up a waistlock. If Herb Dean had done his job properly and allowed the completely conscious Robbie to continue, I think he would have slammed Askren again on his head...and then pounded his face into mush. Ben got such a gift...he's sooooooo lucky things went the way they did. That's why he doesn't want a rematch: Ben knows he got very lucky.

Jarl

The first time he “grabbed” him?? That is completely and totally different.

Of course stopping the fight wasn't the right call but I feel for Herb Dean because he saw something that led him to think the safety of the fighter was in jeopardy. Robbie's arm dropping down limp like that looks bad and I don't know why he would do that. You are told to always defend yourself and appearing to go limp is not doing that.

It's unfortunate.

The haters are reaching. You've all been fine when someone gets knocked out with a punch and woken up by the next. Apparently those fights are okay to stop.

That's terrible logic. You can never assume the result of an MMA fight. You can't justify a stoppage with what might happen.
Fair enough. Maybe i shouldnt extrapolate and use it to justiify stoppage. Bbut herb reacted in split second and we all have the hindsight of 20/20 with replays that he didnt have. Dont let your fucking arm drop and if you do immediately give thumbs up not after he pulls guy off. But again, how was he gonna get out of that? And one is free to speculate. That is allowed, ya know. And for all those saying that it wasnt a choke, and was on the chin, that choke is also a neck crank. Im no world beater, but i am a brown belt in bjj. IMO he wasnt going anywhere. Can I prove it in court of law? No. but i dont have to have opinion. Like you also.

Fair enough. Maybe i shouldnt extrapolate and use it to justiify stoppage. Bbut herb reacted in split second and we all have the hindsight of 20/20 with replays that he didnt have. Dont let your fucking arm drop and if you do immediately give thumbs up not after he pulls guy off. But again, how was he gonna get out of that? And one is free to speculate. That is allowed, ya know. And for all those saying that it wasnt a choke, and was on the chin, that choke is also a neck crank. Im no world beater, but i am a brown belt in bjj. IMO he wasnt going anywhere. Can I prove it in court of law? No. but i dont have to have opinion. Like you also.
So a neck crank is a pain threshold.to say Robbie couldn't have survived is speculation .you don't know how wobbly askrens still was maybe it wasn't as tight because of the beating he just took. Regardless you can't end a fight of speculation of what night happened no court of law needed man lol that's literally the dumbest thing I ever read. Also the ref did a check on Robbie him moving his arm away is proof he wasn't asleep him giving the thumbs up is also proof. In a court of law at this point there would be zero debate if he was unconscious as there is tons of video proof he wasn't. Lol

Edit: tried to post pic from twitter of Robbie giving thumbs up while in choke... twitter or forum being fucktarded and not letting me. Fail :-(

If I'm the ref, see that limp arm and the fighter does not respond, I act to protect his safety.

You can't take the risk of letting his be in that choke for longer because maybe his mouth is covered and he can't react like the broadcasters kept insisting. The ref has to look out for the fighter and the decision was correct.

If he was out or not is not the main point: he looked so and that decision had to be made. The consequences of not acting can be far worse.

You're telling me this is the proper way to defend a bulldog choke? Both arms are limp. Come on, he was out.

Yea, you're not really defending a bulldog choke, not a proper one where the guys chin is turned away like Robbie's was. The Bulldog choke is not a first try submission, its an end of the line submission on a failed escape from a rear naked choke. Robbie tried to go out the back and got caught. There is no escape from that choke and that chin position and if Herb didn't stop it, Lawler would have been unconscious in a few more seconds.

Jarl

Your opinion is worth about as much as the turd in your ass.

Yes, I know what a carotid artery is, which is why I mentioned it. Please tell me with a straight face that Askren is not compressing his carotid in this pic.
View attachment 536767

Yea, I tried to point out to the OP as well that once a guy gets in a Bulldog choke with his chin turned away like Robbie's was, there is no escape. People keep saying defend it, Robbie wasn't trying to defend it, there is no fucking defense for that. You fucked up. If Robbie's chin was turned toward Askren's body then he could try an escape, but with his chin turned away like that, your fucked. See how Robbie's face is pointing away from Askren's body, its too late to defend when you get to that point.

askren-lawler-png.536767

Yea, I tried to point out to the OP as well that once a guy gets in a Bulldog choke with his chin turned away like Robbie's was, there is no escape. People keep saying defend it, Robbie wasn't trying to defend it, there is no fucking defense for that. You fucked up. If Robbie's chin was turned toward Askren's body then he could try an escape, but with his chin turned away like that, your fucked. See how Robbie's face is pointing away from Askren's body, its too late to defend when you get to that point.

askren-lawler-png.536767

You can also use the old Brazilian trick of going limp, the choker let's up thinking you are out and then you escape the tightness of the choke.

Your opinion is worth about as much as the turd in your ass.

I can't even talk to these guys because half of them have no idea wtf they are talking about. GracieBreakdown channel explained in the first few minutes of this video that not only was Robbie not getting out, because his chin was turned away, but he was going to be unconscious guaranteed.

As soon as his arm hit the deck I would have called the fight. I'd be universally hated on Sherdog because I wouldn't have even gave Robbie the courtesy of a check. Go limp, appear to go limp whether you actually go limp or not does not matter, fight's over.

Back