Fighters giving up MMA too early

I had the discs between c5, c6, and c7 replaced and it was a miracle, completely pain free since.
I shattered T5-T9 in a farming accident. Also pain free these days and feel very lucky.

Take care of your spine, kids, that shit don't recover easily!
out of all the weird shit ive had, at least ive never had a real back issue. so many people i know suffer beyond belief from that, i NEVER take that shit for granted. i learned early on,'always lift with your legs, not your back'.

out of all the weird shit ive had, at least ive never had a real back issue. so many people i know suffer beyond belief from that, i NEVER take that shit for granted. i learned early on,'always lift with your legs, not your back'.
Good for you! Keep it up!

Just remembered Katsunori Kikuno:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsunori_Kikuno

DEEP LW champ. Retired from MMA at 24–8–2 and aged 35. Perfect age to quit, you might say - but note that he went on to win 7 in a row in Ganryujima, which is basically MMA with less grappling. So he still had it in him.

David Terrell is like the Prince Naseem of MMA, looked really great and likely a future dominant champion then lost one fight after a long winning streak, won the next fight and retired.

I can't believe he's only 41, he could have fought for like another 10 years easily.

Laura D'Auguste.
Miku Matsumoto
Jennifer Howe
Laura Sanko ;)

Jarl

1. Ricardo Arona
2. Bas Rutten
3. BJ Penn (trolling :)) )
4. Murila Ninja
5. Mark Kerr.....damn roids....
6. Oleg Taktarov except the last two fights
7. Igor Vovchanchyn at 31 !!!!

Others?

I don't know, quitting before getting serious neurological damage from head strikes is not a bad idea -- it'd be better if more fighters (and hockey and football players) retired earlier rather than later.

If anyone remembers, BJ said he was gonna retire if he became double champ back in 2009.

and go down as the greatest of all time.

His words.

1. Ricardo Arona
2. Bas Rutten
4. Murila Ninja
5. Mark Kerr.....damn roids....
6. Oleg Taktarov except the last two fights
7. Igor Vovchanchyn at 31 !!!!

Others?
frank shamrock

This.
His knees were blown out.
Shame he spent his prime in Pancrase.
Could have been multiple time UFC champ instead.
Imagine Royce facing Rutten instead of Kimo, Pardoel, DeLucia and other bums.

His neck was even more fucked if I recall correctly.

Igor was seriously injured.
You couldn't have dragged him away from fighting if he could have still done it successfully.

All aboard the Brooooo train. Matt Riddle beat Jones in wrestling and was cut over smoking weed. He’s now an A-level juiced up heavyweight athlete in the WWE.

Huge riddle fan, that dude lost the plot in MMA though, he was crazy in his last few fights. Remember when he was just charging forward laughing whilst getting punched haha.

Wasn't Dan forced to retire?
I belive it was a hear issue, and doctors said he shouldn't compete, despite Dan saying he never had problems.
I wasn't aware! But he's been talking about making a comeback for some time now so I'm not sure he's really retired at all.

John Hathaway was like 7-2 in the UFC and was only 27 years old for his last fight. Hasn't fought since 2014.

He finally came out in 2018 and said why he hasn't fought (some sort of autoimmune disease affecting his colon).

One of the rare cases where he wants to fight but a non fighting relating physical setback will probably retire him (usually it's a fighting relating setback )

Nick Denis. Canadian guy fighting out of Tristar who had a great finish in the UFC. MMA record is 11-3. Went 4-2 at 145lbs and 7-1 at 135lbs.

Went 1-1 in the UFC, gained a KOTN, across 4 or 5 months then retired at 28 years old. His career lasted 6 years.

Back