Why is this still happening in 2019, UFC?

Claiming another country besides the United States makes a fighter seem more interesting and marketable.

As someone who goes to Mexico every year, I would say Cain is easily the most recognizable MMA fighter there, nobody else including nationals like Yair Rodriguez come anywhere close to Cain Velasquez.

Last edited:
This is an unnecessary thread making something out of nothing, take this garbage to the war room

Maybe he doesn't want to identity as an American? Why does that bother you so much?

This is an unnecessary thread making something out of nothing, take this garbage to the war room

It’s very apparent that this guy had an agenda based on his OP and his responses, it for sure has no place in the heavies.

OSP is American but they show a Hatian flag. Pretty sure the fighters chose the flags, and probably change it up to hit back at heritage since most fighters have the US flag anyways, not to mention it's great marketing.

Maybe Cain likes to represent both his heritage and his birth place. On some noches, he'll rep America, on other noches he'll rep Mexico.

32718758677_82187c7151_h.jpg

I'm confused by the flag shown for Contender #8.

They used to do this with so many fighters to artificially make the UFC seem much larger and more international than it was. It was always stupid, but now it's quite unnecessary. The organization, and the sport at large, is now quite international.

For example, if you go back to his earliest UFC when they would flash rankings screens like this, or for the Tale of the Tape, they would show the Croatian flag for Stipe Miocic. Stipe was born, raised, and trains in Ohio. Notice how they fixed that.

This is so disrespectful. I can't believe Cain allows it. Does he not value his citizenship?
Literally nobody cares but you

Maybe Cain likes to represent both his heritage and his birth place. On some noches, he'll rep America, on other noches he'll rep Mexico.
People rep their roots, it's not a big deal except to the insecure "my country!" types

Maybe he doesn't want to identity as an American? Why does that bother you so much?
America is full of people from other places

We put the locals on small reservations here

Why did Stipe switch his pick?

I don't have the answer but it is interesting, sometime around his title win against Werdum, he completely dropped the Croatian pride thing. Before that, he was pretty big into it, but I remember he basically only talked about his Cleveland pride immediately after the win and since then. Maybe he just became more comfortable with his being an Ohioan and didn't need the "exotic" Croatian identity anymore, or maybe he had a bad experience in Croatia and it turned him off...who knows? But I noticed a pretty marked shift from always mentioning Croatia to basically never mentioning since his fight with Werdum.

I don't have the answer but it is interesting, sometime around his title win against Werdum, he completely dropped the Croatian pride thing. Before that, he was pretty big into it, but I remember he basically only talked about his Cleveland pride immediately after the win and since then. Maybe he just became more comfortable with his being an Ohioan and didn't need the "exotic" Croatian identity anymore, or maybe he had a bad experience in Croatia and it turned him off...who knows? But I noticed a pretty marked shift from always mentioning Croatia to basically never mentioning since his fight with Werdum.
He wanted to defend against overeem in Croatia

Am I Stipe? Do I have him on a direct line?
Not that it contradicts enduring grievance pertaining to Cain, but I'm not convinced the "fighter picks the flag" explains the oddly disproportionate number of American fighters in the past who have been attached to other flags, many who now are shown as American, in an organization that used to be steeply American in its infancy, yet sought to broaden its appeal to the international market. I don't doubt that guys like Cain and Dodson actively picked other flags rather than merely assenting to it, but if the flag was just something the fighters were allowed to choose to express their identity, as if the were wearing clothes, then old stories like this one make little sense:
Dariush not allowed to use the Assyrian People flag

They care about the politics as it affects business, and I'm not convinced Stipe just changed his flag on a whim. I recall this flaring up in 2015, but this was last night's event, so it's timely, and relevant.
You’re a fucking mod mate @Madmick get your shit in order and stop trying to spark something out of nothing this is not even fight related.
It’s very apparent that this guy had an agenda based on his OP and his responses, it for sure has no place in the heavies.
My "agenda" is explicitly stated. I'm criticizing Cain and the UFC. I considered putting it in the WR, but this pertains to the UFC, and really isn't a matter of importance to American or International politics. Either way it isn't appropriate for posters such as yourselves to issue imperatives to a moderator how to moderate.

Do other pro leagues do this, and have I not being paying attention? AFAIK Cain isn't a dual citizen. It's bizarre to me that any pro league would allow players to haphazardly choose their nationality. To me, nationality is an inert fact. If you are a dual citizen then it would make sense for an athlete to choose one flag, or even both.

StipeClevelandCavaliers.jpg

O-H

If I were fighting in the UFC I would like to represent Tibet Autonomous Region even though I was born in Wyoming.

Not that it contradicts enduring grievance pertaining to Cain, but I'm not convinced the "fighter picks the flag" explains the oddly disproportionate number of American fighters in the past who have been attached to other flags, many who now are shown as American, in an organization that used to be steeply American in its infancy, yet sought to broaden its appeal to the international market. I don't doubt that guys like Cain and Dodson actively picked other flags rather than merely assenting to it, but if the flag was just something the fighters were allowed to choose to express their identity, as if the were wearing clothes, then old stories like this one make little sense:
Dariush not allowed to use the Assyrian People flag

They care about the politics as it affects business, and I'm not convinced Stipe just changed his flag on a whim. I recall this flaring up in 2015, but this was last night's event, so it's timely, and relevant.

My "agenda" is explicitly stated. I'm criticizing Cain and the UFC. I considered putting it in the WR, but this pertains to the UFC, and really isn't a matter of importance to American or International politics. Either way it isn't appropriate for posters such as yourselves to issue imperatives to a moderator how to moderate.

Do other pro leagues do this, and have I not being paying attention? AFAIK Cain isn't a dual citizen. It's bizarre to me that any pro league would allow players to haphazardly choose their nationality. To me, nationality is an inert fact. If you are a dual citizen then it would make sense for an athlete to choose one flag, or even both.
Surely you understand why your provided link is not a parallel case.

32718758677_82187c7151_h.jpg

I'm confused by the flag shown for Contender #8.

They used to do this with so many fighters to artificially make the UFC seem much larger and more international than it was. It was always stupid, but now it's quite unnecessary. The organization, and the sport at large, is now quite international.

For example, if you go back to his earliest UFC when they would flash rankings screens like this, or for the Tale of the Tape, they would show the Croatian flag for Stipe Miocic. Stipe was born, raised, and trains in Ohio. Notice how they fixed that.

This is so disrespectful. I can't believe Cain allows it. Does he not value his citizenship?

Seriously? That's no where near as embarrassing as a guy whose only fight in 3 years is a 1st rnd loss being ranked number 8.

It’s marketing. Unlike in boxing, You only get so many chances to make a Mexican national hero in MMA. It can be very lucrative if it pans out. More so than if Cain went the American Rassler route and didn’t have the ridiculous tattoo. Turns out their best bet was an American...and Mexican nationals at large don’t care about Jimboys like Cain. If it makes a huge difference to anybody it’s them. Waving a flag isn’t really enough. To some Americans it’s just a slap in the face, others don’t care, others encourage the identity of being the worlds lobby

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radomuser120
Back