The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Star thread. We have just updated the title with each version of the thread, highlighting relevant news. This was never intended to a Discovery only thread.
I would have merged the discrete thread that was started for Picard earlier. After all, before that announcement, what other shows were running besides Discovery? There are also separate threads for all the Star Trek movies, and separate threads for discussion of retired Star Trek tv franchises. So the flow of the mega-thread made no sense to me. Clearly it isn't actually all-encompassing. I interpreted it to be the Discovery thread from the title.

So I now gather this is for ongoing Star Trek discussion where people discuss how the current TV franchises mesh with the larger universe. That's more specific, but at least I now know to merge any Picard news and discussion to the v6.

Rumor is Brent Spiner has been filming for Picard the past 2 weeks. He had canceled some previous commitments, including attending his best friend Levar Burtons, park naming ceremony. Bring on Captain Data commanding the 1701-E

star_trek__countdown___captain_data_by_jonbromle1_dayryr4-pre.jpg

Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek film is one step closer to becoming a reality. The director recently revealed that the script for the film exists and it has its fair share of four-letter words.

“If I do it, it’ll be R-rated.” Tarantino said during an interview with Empire.

Discussing what stage the project is at, the Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill director said: “There’s a script that exists for it now. I need to weigh in on it, but I haven’t been able to do that yet.”

Rumors of Tarantino’s Star Trek project have been circulating since 2017. Those rumors picked up steam last year when Paramount confirmed that a fourth Kelvin Timeline film was not moving forward, after negotiations with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth broke down.

The Star Trek reboot series of films (now known as the Kelvin Timeline) launched a decade ago, with 2009’s Star Trek, and continued with 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness and 2016’s Star Trek Beyond. With Paramount’s decision not to move forward with that series of films, the door is wide open for a new take on what a cinematic Star Trek universe could look like.

Since its inception, with Gene Roddenberry’s original television series, Star Trek has largely had a positive view of the future and mankind’s place in it. A version of Star Trek with large amounts of swearing (and potential violence) would be quite a departure from that original vision. A departure that many fans have been heavily opposed to.

What will Star Trek’s future look like on the big screen? Only time will tell.

They could bring in a new Dax in the Picard series
Still havent forgiven them for killing Jadzia

Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek film is one step closer to becoming a reality. The director recently revealed that the script for the film exists and it has its fair share of four-letter words.

“If I do it, it’ll be R-rated.” Tarantino said during an interview with Empire.

Discussing what stage the project is at, the Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill director said: “There’s a script that exists for it now. I need to weigh in on it, but I haven’t been able to do that yet.”

Rumors of Tarantino’s Star Trek project have been circulating since 2017. Those rumors picked up steam last year when Paramount confirmed that a fourth Kelvin Timeline film was not moving forward, after negotiations with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth broke down.

The Star Trek reboot series of films (now known as the Kelvin Timeline) launched a decade ago, with 2009’s Star Trek, and continued with 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness and 2016’s Star Trek Beyond. With Paramount’s decision not to move forward with that series of films, the door is wide open for a new take on what a cinematic Star Trek universe could look like.

Since its inception, with Gene Roddenberry’s original television series, Star Trek has largely had a positive view of the future and mankind’s place in it. A version of Star Trek with large amounts of swearing (and potential violence) would be quite a departure from that original vision. A departure that many fans have been heavily opposed to.

What will Star Trek’s future look like on the big screen? Only time will tell.
Making it rated R is not really in keeping with the spirit and tradition of Star Trek. That alone makes me suspect it will be a disaster.

I have literally zero interest in that.
I wasn't really either until I heard him talk about what he loves about trek. I'm imagining a tasteful remake of Yesterdays Enterprise, showing the true cost of sacrifice and war. I could see that aspect of it, where it could require it being an R rated film. What we don't need is Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction in Space. Could you imagine pulp fiction Picard?!? Picard: " Warp 9, Engage this Mother*****!"

I wasn't really either until I heard him talk about what he loves about trek. I'm imagining a tasteful remake of Yesterdays Enterprise, showing the true cost of sacrifice and war. I could see that aspect of it, where it could require it being an R rated film. What we don't need is Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction in Space. Could you imagine pulp fiction Picard?!? Picard: " Warp 9, Engage this Mother*****!"

I think Star Trek has always been capable of creating creepy episodes or including topics of war. But we don't need Alien Trek or Star Wars Trek or Gore Trek. If I cannot watch Star Trek as a 12 yo, something is wrong imo.

I think Star Trek has always been capable of creating creepy episodes or including topics of war. But we don't need Alien Trek or Star Wars Trek or Gore Trek. If I cannot watch Star Trek as a 12 yo, something is wrong imo.
Agreed, DS9 has some great dark elements for ex

Garak murdered a Romulan diplomat to ensure they joined the war effort, and Sisko lived with it lol

tenor.gif

tumblr_map9fsRQfi1qd98st.gif

Not related, but just saw this lol
5373B43FAB433E3BF0EE948E6D7E892A27DEF80D

Last edited:
We are gonna move later this year, so U already started to get rid of some stuff. The Star Trek: Countdown comic turned up, with personalized drawing by David Messina. Cool stuff. Anyway, that comic was sold by Abrams and Kurtzman as 'canon IIRC. It features Data as Captain of the Enterprise, Picard as an ambasador to Vulcan, and the destruction of Romulus due to zur fact that Vulcans could not look past their prejudice.

I think the Picard Trailer makes clear that is canon. I recommend reading it.

So I only have a few episodes left in the sixth season of DS9, and the foreboding depression has already kicked in.

Only one more season. Then I'm done with this wonderful world of characters and stories.

With TNG, I would find myself skipping some episodes, just because they'd become monotonous and I knew that particular episode wasn't worth anything.

But with this, I'm trying to savor it. I still have TNG Insurrection and Nemesis to watch, though I know they're mediocre.

I don't really feel like getting into Voyager, I heard it's not as good as Deep space.

Agreed, DS9 has some great dark elements for ex

Garak murdered a Romulan diplomat to ensure they joined the war effort, and Sisko lived with it lol

tenor.gif

tumblr_map9fsRQfi1qd98st.gif

Not related, but just saw this lol
5373B43FAB433E3BF0EE948E6D7E892A27DEF80D

Avery Brooks is the most awkward actor to play badass. He still comes off as the worst, and most distracting part of DS9. But even then, the CHARACTER of Ben Sisko is awesome. Ruthless. But hes a total war criminal, and nobody cares.

Garak, though, is gold in every scene. They chose the best for Dukat and Garek.

So I only have a few episodes left in the sixth season of DS9, and the foreboding depression has already kicked in.

Only one more season. Then I'm done with this wonderful world of characters and stories.

With TNG, I would find myself skipping some episodes, just because they'd become monotonous and I knew that particular episode wasn't worth anything.

But with this, I'm trying to savor it. I still have TNG Insurrection and Nemesis to watch, though I know they're mediocre.

I don't really feel like getting into Voyager, I heard it's not as good as Deep space.

Maybe try it with an Episode guide. VOY has some of the very best episodes.

Voyageur greats pretty damn good at times, namely when 7 of 9 joins. She's total eye candy, but her arc, and all the side stories her character brings made the show prominent for me. It's among my least favorite Star Trek shows though, but miles better than Discovery.

Watch Babylon 5 though.

The first season is rough, and season 2 takes some time to get going, but once the overarching narrative kicks in, it's incredible. It has a lower budget thank Star Trek, and it shows, but the story is epic, and the main characters are very well developed. Their side characters are better developed than most main ones in other shows.

DS9, and Babylon 5 are interchangeable for me for top sci-fi series ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back