lets try to figure out this strange anomaly in MMA

BEATDOWNS

Power Slap OG
@plutonium
Reaction score
This has been happening as long as i can remember.

Fighter A. rocks fighter B. Then either shoots for a takedown with no follow up punches or stalls against the cage!

This is a weird anomaly and it seems to happen in a lot of fights

Why do you think this happens?

Last edited:
Because guys are tired and they don't have the benefit of looking through a TV with multiple angles so that they can clearly see a guy is rocked.

A- Fighter A has poor fight IQ
B- Fighter A is actually tired and wants to take the chance to rest on top or possibly end the fight.
C- Fighter A is actually a much worse striker than fighter B and wants to take advantage of his monetary advantage to get the fight to the ground.

one of these 3.

Because it's a work. These guys are trying to sell a fight.

Sometimes instinct kicks in when you're tired, also easy to get ground control and the takedown when someone is wobbled

Because guys are tired and they don't have the benefit of looking through a TV with multiple angles so that they can clearly see a guy is rocked.

Are you telling me these fighters aren't aware of everything in their surroundings when they are in a fight?

{<diva}

adrenaline panic reaction

Or Kelvin brain

Because it usually takes more energy than one would think to finish up on shots after they already landed the shots that rocked them if they can even tell the opponent is hurt at all.

Are you telling me these fighters aren't aware of everything in their surroundings when they are in a fight?

{<diva}
Its a wild idea I know
but it is not, infact, like playing a video game. They can't see the opponents damage bar, or their own fatigue bar.

Its like fighting is hard and sometimes people just fight on instinct or something, I don't know

In modern MMA, fight IQ is one of the biggest things a good camp will teach its fighters. These guys go in there wanting to win, and that often means going for points to win rounds. If they don't see their opponent is in trouble, they take the opportunity to win points. Cage control, grappling, and aggression are 3/4s of the score criteria

Panic wrestling strikes again.

Often, fighters are not really present in the fight. They are just acting out what they choreographed in practice. If they practiced to give themselves space and pick their shots when the opponent is confused and concussed, then that is what they would do in a really fight situation.

I think they practice to jump on the opponent when they smell blood, in hopes that they will KO the opponent once and for all or the referee will stop the fight because it looks like they are beating up on a defenseless opponent.

A good example is Robert Lawler versus Ben Askren. Askren was out of it, and Robert Lawler woke him up, instead of creating space and picking his shots to finish an opponent who was out of it.

In modern MMA, fight IQ is one of the biggest things a good camp will teach its fighters. These guys go in there wanting to win, and that often means going for points to win rounds. If they don't see their opponent is in trouble, they take the opportunity to win points. Cage control, grappling, and aggression are 3/4s of the score criteria
Maybe at Jackson/Wink. You'll see guys winning on points.

Other camps ATT & AKA. They have crafted fighters to use there skills to actually finish fights.

A- Fighter A has poor fight IQ
B- Fighter A is actually tired and wants to take the chance to rest on top or possibly end the fight.
C- Fighter A is actually a much worse striker than fighter B and wants to take advantage of his monetary advantage to get the fight to the ground.

one of these 3.

I would say it's A

but B is more of what i was getting at. Get him rocked then just lay on him and not really capitalize on it.

Often they are punch-drunk themselves and fail to realize HOW hurt their opponent is.
In a fight everything feels kinda like you're dazed very often, comparable to a dream where you're like 3/4 lucid. Punches to the dome do that to a person.

But often it's just bad fight-IQ/awareness aswell.

Back