How was Yoel Romero/Borrachina a robbery?

Some of the play by play I was reading had the staff split on who won the fight, which I normally take as being a very close fight.

Calling fights robberies nowadays is an annoying trend, no one knows what the term means anymore.

Nope. Was mildly rooting for Romero but had Costa winning 29-28. Round 2, Romero basically leant on the cage getting teed off on, that round was the real convincing one for the judges, clearly. Costa impressed me last night - we saw that he has an iron chin and can take big shots for 15mins without fading. He's definitely ready for a title shot.

So TS is upset people think Yoel won which is totally justifiable? Not very many people say it was a robbery and in that context there more meaning that Yoel was screwed. Either way that fight was 2-1 someone and really close.

I had Yoel, slightly. But it’s hard to judge his fights, he’s so awkward it’s hard to tell if he’s getting really hit or not and what all he lands, epic fight

Paulo dominated with aggression and did damage the first half of the second round and was far more effective than jabby/missy Yoel in the second half. I also dont see how taking someone down with 2 seconds left after ineffective posturing, eye poking and missing 60% of jabs wins over the damage and aggression of Paulo's.

These fighters claiming robbery seem to still be stuck in the old rule set and most seem to be decision fighting pointfighters like Sterling, Bobby Green etc. The fight was too close to be called a robbery either way...

Pathetic.

Do you think that was a robbery? If so why?

Discuss.

First of all, it was a close fight, so not a "robbery," either way. I thought his body work won him the decision.

Nobody is saying it's a robbery. I personally had it a draw (first round was 10-10).

It just really sucks when a fighter wins a decision in a fight when it's obvious if the rounds went on they'd lose. But Romero took a decision against Jacare in a similar fashion, so what goes around.

What I question is if this should really hurt Yoel's standing at all as a championship contender, as he was the more dangerous fighter and costa could barely stand at the end of 3 rounds.

I gave it to Yoel 29-28. Not a robbery by any means. Just shocked no one had it a draw or W for Yoel.

idk me and my 2 friends thought costa won no problem. we were all surprised at the boo's. thought it was a clear 2 rounds for costa. i havent rewatched it though

I thought he did enough to win the 2nd, but what do I know? I haven't spent the $200 to get a judge's license.

<Fedor23>

No, I just watched it now because i missed it last night. It was a close second round but i found no way to score it for yoel. I also found no way to give him a 10-8 for a draw. it was 29-28 costa,

Anyone who thinks Romero won that fight should be banned from watching MMA.

Costa clear 1 and 2.

I thought Yoel won 2 and 3 by virtue of landing the better strikes and doing more damage but his sticking his tongue out and trying to play it off when Costa landed probably isn't a good look to the judges. Plus Costa was more often the aggressor.
It was a close fight and no robbery by any means.

Only salty Romero fanboys thought he won

Let me start by saying I wasn't a fan of either guy. They both look juiced to the gills. I'm only saying this to establish that I was not emotionally invested in the outcome. I was looking forward to the fight but I didn't care who won.

A lot of Yoels strikes were touching Costa. He landed a bunch of really hard shots too. Dont get me wrong. They would have put away heavyweights.

BUT... Every thing Costa landed was a smashing blow. All full power shots. Plus he walked him down the entire fight.

Was a pretty easy fight to score in my opinion. I dont understand the crowds reaction.

That said... that was one of the best MW brawls I have seen in more than 20 years of watching MMA. It was insane the shots both guys ate. I was super impressed by both guys cardio and chins. It looked like two G.I. Joe acton figures fighting.

Costa easily won the first 2 rounds. Yoel was wobbly (probably baiting) for many parts of those rounds. Even if he was faking it, it looks bad on the judges because they cant know for sure if ur hurt or pretending to be.

Round 1- Clearly costa
Round 2- Very close, but i gave it to Costa as he seem to put the pressure more (I'm big romero fan by the way)
Round 3- All Romero.

29-28 Costa (very close fight but I gave it all to Costa).

Yoel had it imo. MMA judges are fucking useless lol Dope fight tho.

End of the day yoel is is 42 missed weight and is controversially 0-2 in title shots, not surprised they'd prefer the young up n coming Brazilian.

Think it's safe to safe WALKING FORWARD is the single most important and highest scoring judging criteria in MMA lol

Back