The Weber Kettle is a P4P contender in the grill world

The Weber has a lot of gadgets made for it. Like the little charcoal baskets ( which can be handy) and the Slow-n-Sear.

Those are really not needed at all, even for smoking. Have coals piled on one side of the grill, with the grate opening above it so you can add wood chunks or more charcoal. Have a water pan under the meat with hot water in it. Have whatever you are cooking on the grill grate above the hot water pan. The meat gets indirect heat. Rotate it about every hour so the same side is not constantly closest to the heat source.

There are some griddles to use on the Weber Kettle. Those are pretty nifty. I'm a cast iron guy, so if I am cooking something that needs some containment so it doesn't drop through the grate, cast iron it is.

Here's a great tip: Cut zucchini or crooked-neck squash in half length-wise. Coat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper, or your favorite spice blend. Grill carefully over direct heat, or carelessly indirect until cooked. Super delicious!

Love my little kettle grill. Its an awesome excuse for day drinking. Anyone build charcoal snakes? I've found its a great way to maintain temp for longer cook times. Takes a lot of the bullshit out of diong ribs or a pork shoulder. Charcoal chimney is a game changer
I’ve tried the charcoal snake but I must have done it wrong as I could not get the temperature high enough. How many briquettes do you light at first?

That would be suicidal bro.
ur avatar ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The thing hanging out the bottom is just the ash catcher. I have a grate system inside to put the hot coal, and that can be moved around easily. For smoking i put the coals on one side and the meat on the other, so it’s all indirect heat.
i bought a smoky jo from wally world when i moved to missouri 4 years ago.

I’ve tried the charcoal snake but I must have done it wrong as I could not get the temperature high enough. How many briquettes do you light at first?

I make the snake 3 briquettes high and 2 deep, the length depends on how long the cool will be. I light enough to completely cover the starting end of the snake not sure on the exact amount. I put wood chips along the top of it and let it party.

ur avatar ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Long time favourite of mine.

The Weber has a lot of gadgets made for it. Like the little charcoal baskets ( which can be handy) and the Slow-n-Sear.

Those are really not needed at all, even for smoking. Have coals piled on one side of the grill, with the grate opening above it so you can add wood chunks or more charcoal. Have a water pan under the meat with hot water in it. Have whatever you are cooking on the grill grate above the hot water pan. The meat gets indirect heat. Rotate it about every hour so the same side is not constantly closest to the heat source.

There are some griddles to use on the Weber Kettle. Those are pretty nifty. I'm a cast iron guy, so if I am cooking something that needs some containment so it doesn't drop through the grate, cast iron it is.

Here's a great tip: Cut zucchini or crooked-neck squash in half length-wise. Coat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper, or your favorite spice blend. Grill carefully over direct heat, or carelessly indirect until cooked. Super delicious!
You can spread the coals around the edges and put the pan in the middle and turn the lid to put the vent on the other side half way through. Its easier and gets a better result imo. One great thing about the circular design is you can spin the lid/grate to serve your purpose.

Edit: This wouldn't work if you needed a larger grilling surface for a reverse sear or something of the like.
There are levels to this shit

Happy Weberin

Last edited:
my wife got me a 22” Weber Kettle Master Touch - is this the new Ipad?

You can spread the coals around the edges and put the pan in the middle and turn the lid to put the vent on the other side half way through. Its easier and gets a better result imo. One great thing about the circular design is you can spin the lid/grate to serve your purpose.

Edit: This wouldn't work if you needed a larger grilling surface for a reverse sear or something of the like.
There are levels to this shit

Happy Weberin

Yes, this is very true. You line the coals up around the entire inner perimeter of the Kettle, about 3-4 deep/tall. Light one end, and it will burn all the way around the Kettle, eventually. This would give an even cook. This is the Snake method, which is basically a modified Minion method.

The gist here is, the Weber Kettle is extremely versatile.

i rock a smokey joe. got it on clearance at wally world for 70 bucks in 2014. 5 years later, still grills like a champ.

Got a Char Griller Smoking Champ that I slightly modified with gasket around the seals and thermometers at both ends of the barrel. It can be tiring, but its fun to mess with the fire of an offset. The egg and kettle type grills seem like they would be a pain to manage temps with even though apparently its easier than offset. Offset just seems more intuitive.

And for anything that I am grilling, I just use propane. Don't really have the patients for a ton of cleanup for a few minutes of cooking.

my wife got me a 22” Weber Kettle Master Touch - is this the new Ipad?
She got me an ipad at Christmas last year. True story.

I have a Lodge cast iron grill that I take to the lake. It's portable so it's good for 2 people. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN @Jackie Blue

3SP334110_HeroSquare-e9336ba92e8a4962bcf93a12df1034d4.jpg

I had to put together three of those Big Green Egg smokers (2Ls and 1XL) for a group hosting an event at my work. The event got cancelled and they just gave us the smokers. They put em in the basement where they will probably never even get used once. Fucking kills me.
Maybe you should find a way to make them disappear into your back yard.

Back