News mind-uploading tech that creates a virtual copy of you to live forever may be ready in our lifetimes

Revelations 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

ZCI68BW.jpeg

Sounds like you are a know it all, except science is your religion.

No. Im not a know it all, believe it or not, even the childish idea of God is still possible to me.
because unlike your team, I don't make absolute claims.

Sounds like a great way to get your consciousness imprisoned on this plane, indefinitely.

Define consciousness.

I really should have said awareness, as consciousness is relative of/to something and conditional, whereas awareness is the precondition for consciousness and is absolute. I could give my own definition but it would be circular and kind of pointless, its not something that can really be easily defined through the English language - any definition you can look up is more or less as good of a job as I can do to define it. You can come to know and understand it to a very deep degree through various meditative practices, but it still isn't really something that can be easily defined.

A living person might think your a copy of the person they knew but it would never actually be "you". No amount of zeros and one's will ever be able to replicate the process of thinking and feeling. There would have to be some other type of technological breakthrough.

What kind of self-important asshole doesn't want to get out of the way and make room for new people? Let it go.

I'm sure when I'm gone there will be another wise cracking Italian guy to take my place.

Isn't this the plot of about 75% of Black Mirror episodes?

Lots of fantastical ideas going around on technology atm.

Neuroscientists don't have a thorough account of memory, and the exact physical process that the brain undergoes to make that happen.. they don't essentially know how conciousness is manifested through the hardware of the brain..

They don't know these things, yet we'll have the full depth of someone's conciousness fully downloaded in the next 30-50 years? I don't think so.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to upload my brain but I wish there was a way that it could still be me and not my digital clone.

I mean, the whole point of immortality is that I don't wanna die.

It would never be you. Always cloned, the clone might think it's you but that's it's problem.

The purpose of this kind of stuff is so the kids can visit grandpa in VR, or more likely so that Elon can continue to troll the world from beyond the grave.

I don't care about this.

If it's just a duplicate and not my sense of self then who would want it?

Back