News mind-uploading tech that creates a virtual copy of you to live forever may be ready in our lifetimes

Sounds horrifying hopefully I'm dead by then.

It wouldn't be YOU.

It would be a computer simulation of you.

So, it could maybe have an effect of grieving, since you theoretically with sufficient programming, could create a digital version that has the same memories and speaks the same way and maybe even responds similarly.

But YOU or whomever is digitally cloned, is not going to be present or conscious. Your consciousness would still terminate with your body.
Philip K. Dick (I think) presented an interesting thought experiment that specifically addresses that. First your brain is hooked to the computer, then neurons are replaced one by one with digital versions, so that you are conscious the whole time.

Last edited:
Fuck yeah, let's do it. I'm ready for my robot body.

I've always wanted to upload my brain but I wish there was a way that it could still be me and not my digital clone.

I mean, the whole point of immortality is that I don't wanna die.
The whole point of immortality is that death is part of life. In a way you are immortal. Your hydrogen atoms are up to 13 billion years old.

Regarding consciousness it's an interesting philosophical and physiological topic. There are very interesting games about it like Soma or "The Swapper" ( the others escape my memory right now)

Dream on if you think that this will happen in any of our lifetimes, if at all. Replicating the complexity of our minds is far beyond our current understanding. Heck, we were supposed to have self-driving cars a decade ago and look how that is going.

Indeed. Let's start by using all the time and resources for this nonsense to do something productive and try to correct the monumental errors we've already made.

We don't need to live longer or upload our minds if we can't figure out why we're the biggest cans on this planet.
While I agree that we are pretty much made out of cans mostly we still rule the shit out of this planet.

91578c09c1b63b9d8f09a4833b6e7351.jpg

Immortal beings will be the ultimate bums always pushing their shit to do on next mondays.

Having a set expiry date is a big contributor to make life exciting and meaningful. At least to me.
Growing old sucks tho but dying is alright.

Dream on if you think that this will happen in any of our lifetimes, if at all. Replicating the complexity of our minds is far beyond our current understanding. Heck, we were supposed to have self-driving cars a decade ago and look how that is going.
Replicating most minds in the warroom will be wayyyyyyyy easier tho. You could probably put a couple specific minds here combined on one old floppy disk.

or It could be the next step in our evolution. we used to die by the age of 37, now 70-80
why not forever?
that\s mainly cos we stopped killing each other. Some lovely voters seem intent on reversing that.

How arrogant you need to be that you think the world needs to copy your brain lol.

How arrogant you need to be that you think the world needs to copy your brain lol.

My great great great grandkids need my AI construct around to tell them to man up and complain about how it was better back in my days

Haven't you watched black mirror?

No
No
No
And nope!

Back