Rose Namajunas on why she turned down title shot against Zhang Weili.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Rose Namajunas could have been the one challenging for the strawweight title Saturday at UFC 248.

Speaking on the “UFC Unfiltered” podcast, former 115-pound champion Namajunas (8-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) said she was offered a title shot against new champ Zhang Weili, but turned it down.

Namajunas lost her title to Jessica Andrade in May 2019. It was a fight in which she was en route to a masterclass showing, but was slammed on her head in Round 2 and lost by knockout.

Just like Yoel Romero and Jose Aldo have upcoming title shots coming off losses, Namajunas would have certainly had an argument, too – and apparently the UFC was on board with the idea.

But Namajunas had her reasons to not take the fight.

“I think everyone else felt the same way, too,” Namajunas said. “I was even offered Weili at the time, but I just – at the time I was still dealing with a lot of my own (things), just getting my head right, and I hired a mental coach that’s helping me do a lot of different things. And so there was a lot of work that needed to be done.

“I wasn’t ready for that just yet. I didn’t even really know if I wanted to fight at that time anymore, just because I wanted to make sure that this is something that I wanted to do and I wasn’t just like, ‘Let’s have another fight just because I’m good at it.'”

The setback to Andrade was a hard pill to swallow for Namajunas, who had a scary fall in her knockout loss. After some time off to reflect, she said she has regained her love for the sport as she gears up for a rematch against Andrade at UFC 249 in Brooklyn.

“It was definitely one of my harder losses that I’ve dealt with,” Namajunas said. “I think the thing is, I knew exactly – it was easier in the sense that I knew exactly all of the things that I did wrong. The harder part is taking responsibility for myself, and yeah, maybe situations around me that I couldn’t control could have been better. But I could have taken control over a lot more things in my life. So ultimately, taking that responsibility is the hardest part out of everything.”

The fall was a cause for concern, considering how she landed on her neck. But, Namajunas is just grateful that no permanent damage has been done.

“I got dropped on my head – I could have been paralyzed. It’s like, ‘Well, I wasn’t paralyzed, so why should I be paralyzed in fear if it didn’t happen?'” Namajunas said. “I should celebrate the fact that I’m walking around and it’s a miracle that my neck feels better than it’s ever felt in the past few years. Prior to that happening, I had a fracture in my neck, so it was hurting a lot – and after that, I feel great.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...g-weili-ufc-248/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Quack, Quack, Quack.
Lol you'll get shit on for this, but I dont think you're wrong.

A more favorable interpretation is that rose just doesn't want to fight anymore. Tough sport if you're not 100% in it.

Sherdoggers would lose their minds if Rose got the title after a KO loss <45>

Now I wish she would’ve accepted

Rose displays a level of intelligence that is unfortunately lost on most people.

War Rose.

Smart move by Rose. She doesn't owe us anything and if she feels she's not 100% she made the right choice. Can't wait to see her back and better than before.

Sherdoggers would lose their minds if Rose got the title after a KO loss <45>

Now I wish she would’ve accepted

I think it's good on her part to rematch the person she lost to instead of getting another TS that quickly. I think if she beats Andrade, it will give her more confidence again.

but I just – at the time I was still dealing with a lot of my own (things), just getting my head right, and I hired a mental coach that’s helping me do a lot of different things. And so there was a lot of work that needed to be done.

Cliffs: she's a head case nttawwt.

So the slam on her head fixed her prior neck injury? Jeeze no wonder she wants to fight her again and not for the belt.

that doesn't make a lot of sense tbh

Gotta respect this girl and how honest she is about it all. She could easily just buy a new pair of tits and become the new PVZ and sell her body but no she's struggling just to fall back in love with the sport again. Respect.

A more favorable interpretation is that rose just doesn't want to fight anymore. Tough sport if you're not 100% in it.
No one here has the stones to shit on me bro, my word is the law.

If they want to, bring it on - Rose is a great fighter but like you said she don't wanna fight anymore and a monster like Zhang would only hurt her.

Its not an insult, if I were a normal UFC MW for example, I would be ducking the hell out of the way of Romero.

Luckily I'm a 7'2 400lbs shredded Sherbro though, I only duck for doors.

Not a good idea to take a fight against Zhang if your head is not 100% in it. Fair enough. Rose does seem to have a lot of demons, and if she has to pass on a fight like this to feel ready for the next steps in her life, more power to her. At least she is honest about it, which is refreshing.

Yeah I don't think she's ducking any one fighter. She's making sure she wants to fight, which is different than ducking.

To me, ducking is when you have CERTAIN fighters you won't fight but you want safer fights. If you don't know if you want to fight then I don't see how that's ducking.

Every fighter should only fight AFTER they've determined they want to. It's way too risky a job to do if you're not sure you want to.

So, you mean an ex-champ with one defense to her record was offered a free TS, after getting ktfo. Without ever fighting again first???

Wow. What a circus.

Wish she would stop living in the past and get over the mental stuff. She was fighting like Goku against Andrade before the slam

I like Rose and I also like what she said but I'm getting a bit tired that anything related to her is some kind of drama or some kind of mental block, is getting a bit old but I wish her the best

Yeah I don't think she's ducking any one fighter. She's making sure she wants to fight, which is different than ducking.

To me, ducking is when you have CERTAIN fighters you won't fight but you want safer fights. If you don't know if you want to fight then I don't see how that's ducking.

Every fighter should only fight AFTER they've determined they want to. It's way too risky a job to do if you're not sure you want to.

Agree about her not ducking. She could've picked an easy matchup but instead she's fighting someone she lost to. Fighters who duck wouldn't do that.

A duck is a duck,

Doesn't mean it cant be for a good reason.

Back