American confidence vs non American confidence

There's confident people all around the world.

Most brits are confident because of the former empire.

Thats why they trash countries when they go on holiday and cause trouble.

Most recently Till and Harry Maguire

Contaminated by American pop culture, probably posts often on instagram and speaks English in a ghetto accent already.

ghetto culture kills more people than the coronavirus. It's similar how mobsters were "cool" back in the 1940s movies. In reality they were mostly criminals that destroyed families and businesses of hardworking people.

Without a doubt Platinum Perry is as confident as Fedor.

edit: probably more so actually
There are more ways of being confident than just being willing to throw down.

Perry might be confrontationally confident, but I doubt he has much real confidence, he’s just too stupid to know when to back down.

It's funny you should make this argument because it only further makes my point.

You point out that Jordan and Ali did the right thing because they will be more renowned in history thanks in large part to their arrogance and trash talk, as if being renowned in history for their individual accomplishment is what humans should be striving for. Hitler is probably the most renowned person in recent history, I guess we should praise him for not being shy too, no such thing as bad publicity right?

This is another very American attitude, the hubris that their individual existence is somehow very meaningful in the grand scheme of things, and that the goal of human beings should be to just outcompete other human beings.
Well yes compete is the American way that part you were correct. But again, we are strictly talking about the entertainment industry. We are not talking about what "humans should be striving for."

It's really two different conversations. But as an entertainer, not a regular guy, those guys are the pinnacles of success.

I'm not saying everyone has to be the way or that all entertainers should be that way because without different styles and personalities then those guys wouldn't stand out as much.

There are more ways of being confident than just being willing to throw down.

Perry might be confrontationally confident, but I doubt he has much real confidence, he’s just too stupid to know when to back down.
Oh I agree. Being stupid enough to think you are the best when you aren’t is confidence though.

Oh I agree. Being stupid enough to think you are the best when you aren’t is confidence though.
Fair enough, he's confident in one very limited way, not so much thanks to some deep inner strength, but more due to lack of IQ.

Well yes compete is the American way that part you were correct. But again, we are strictly talking about the entertainment industry. We are not talking about what "humans should be striving for."

It's really two different conversations. But as an entertainer, not a regular guy, those guys are the pinnacles of success.

I'm not saying everyone has to be the way or that all entertainers should be that way because without different styles and personalities then those guys wouldn't stand out as much.
Not exactly, the entertainment industry is music, movies or comedy... sports can be entertaining, but it's something entirely different.

You don't have to be entertaining if you're an athlete, to me the purest athlete is the one who literally competes in his discipline because he loves the sport and couldn't care less about being recognized for his ability.

There is a certain art to that, and it's not at all obvious to me that someone like Wayne Gretzky or John Stockton came up short in some way because they were only great, but didn't really draw a bunch of attention to themselves.

And again, there are many human personalities and many ways to be, and this thread isn't really about which is the right or wrong way. I just find that in America arrogance, conceit, and vanity are somehow looked at as virtues, whereas in most societies a person acting this way is an obvious sign of low intellect and bad upbringing.

Even if it's just for entertainment, most other societies wouldn't reward someone or put him on a pedestal just for being a bigger idiot than anyone else is willing to be. it's just really bizarre, it's like these people see very clearly that there is nothing profound or extraordinary going on, they're just watching a grown man act like a child and it never ceases to amuse them. It's like the whole culture of watching disfunctional idiots in reality shows, just absolute dogshit, yet that crap makes money and gets ratings.

Last edited:
Non-American confidence
sdfghdfg.gif

Non-American confidence
sdfghdfg.gif

I don't think you read the TS.

That's a perfect example of American confidence, I was very clear that you don't have to be American to adopt it, all you have to do is be contaminated by American pop culture and impressionable enough to follow the other sheep.

For sure, but even that is mostly the result of American pop culture trickling into their society.

There's something about people who grow up in North America that forever keeps them a child in a way. I'm generalizing here, and obviously there are exceptions, and there are plenty of Americans who are brought up the right way, but the amount of grown men not knowing how to dress themselves, wearing shirts 4 sizes too big, and talking with street slang into their 30's and 40's is a bid disturbing.

GSP is not like that yet he s north american.

Funny you should bring up "baggy pants" and "ghetto accents"
Sure, and I'm talking about a certain culture not any specific race.

Most of that clothes is purchased by dumb middle class white kids from the suburbs.

Sure, and I'm talking about a certain culture not any specific race.

Most of that clothes is purchased by dumb middle class white kids from the suburbs.
That's what I said. You think black sports/entertainment culture has ruined america and maybe the uk because white people are imitating it. It may be a surprise to you but white americans have been imitating black culture, especially music, for well over a century if not much longer.

Me: "men are generally taller than women"

You: "nooooo, my aunt Rose is taller than my uncle Mike so you're wrong"

Non juste bringing to your attention that when it comes to bravado, cockiness, arrogance, etc. within North America just across the border, Canadians are notorious for being the exact opposite of that.

In my personal experience, Americans are humble, down to earth people. These are the Americans I have met.

That being said, American pop culture IS absolutely fake and cringe AF. Many Muurcan fighters act like Hollywood bad asses have been their main formative influence.

That's what I said. You think black sports/entertainment culture has ruined america and maybe the uk because white people are imitating it. It may be a surprise to you but white americans have been imitating black culture, especially music for well over a century if not much longer.
There are good aspects of black culture, and there are bad aspects.

Yes there have been a ton of great black musicians and that's part of the richness of their culture.

But the glorification of gangster culture, profanity, ignorance, sexism, violence, theft, and disdain for authority is a bad aspect and is an ugly stain on their culture. Black people should look to get rid of it more than anyone else, it is part of what keeps them in a perpetual state of misery and victimhood.

Back