Why are Latinos seemingly forgotten in the mainstream American culture?

Misanthropist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why are Latinos seemingly forgotten in the mainstream American culture despite making up to nearly 20% of the population?

Black political issues and cultural relevancy is so great that you'd assume they are 60% of the population and yet they are only 13%. The Latino population, which has grown rapidly the last few decades, is rarely addressed politically or culturally aside from illegal immigration, which is kind of a broad stereotype itself.

You rarely see Latino people in commercials, demands for representation in things, and when you do they often don't look like people you'd see on the street (mestizo, Indians). Often if you see a Latino person in entertainment or mainstream culture, they will be black or white. American racial discussions seemed to be obsessed with only black and white, never brown or yellow, which demographically seem to be the more ascendant groups. The Latino market is massive but you wouldn't know it based on observation and not actual statistics.

Last edited:
I don't know...

There are several actresses/actors who are sexual icons

Some of the most exciting boxers (Puerto Ricans and Mexicans descent and background)

Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in America

Dora the explorer

Several high profile politicians

And that's off the top of my head

Last edited:
images

<VinceCa$h>

Latinos are horribly underrepresented, the only explanation I can think of is a lack of political clout, which is a good thing.

Plus, there’s not a lot of legitimate grievances to be had anyways when statistically you’re the child of an immigrant who came to the US in the 1980s, and when Latinos were legally white anyways.

Say what you want about Black Americans but the grievances are legitimate.

Back