• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Should Kattars corner have stopped the fight?

Should Kattar Corner have stop the fight?

• Total voters
yes. there were alot of unanswered shots happening in the 4th.

Yes.
Fighters simply can't quit of their own volition, and cant really be expected to either.

That's what the corner is for. Yeah, it's to give advice and get your guy prepared, be able to coach them during the actual fight, but most importantly: You're there to step in on their behalf if necessary. Just like each fighter is told to protect themselves at all times before the bell, your first priority should be to protect them when they're no longer able to.

The pay structure of "half to show, other half if you win" likely causes many coaches/handlers to hold out for any hope of a late comeback against their better judgment. They'd rather get 10% of 60,000 than 10% of 30,000 (just an example)

Ethically, I think that's a real issue in MMA culture.

Just my 2 cents

Kattars corner should have thrown the towel in at the end of round 4. Kattar had nothing to offer and he was completely outclassed.

Yes they should have. Props to Kattar for being insanely tough but he took far too much damage in that fight.

His chin is going to be effected, he probably has a broken rib and he now will have a lot more scar tissue once he heals up.

What the fuck was his corner doing at the end of round 4 when he was sitting on the stool coughing and trying to catch his breath? He couldn't even speak to respond to his corner and yet they sent him back out.

That's fucking criminal.

I don’t see how anyone sane and sober could say that fight should have continued beyond the midway point of round 4.

That was like watching a prison rape.

That barrage he took in rd 4 was more than enough for the ref to stop it.

His corner could’ve easily spared him an uncompetitive Rd 5.

Hell, he was fortunate to be saved by the bell rd 2 before any of that so the damage was stacking up from early.

Not sure, it didn't go through my head when watching it, depends on if they knew something we didn't imo.

Look how much respect Kattar has earned by showing such heart. I'm sure he'd be fuming if his corner stopped the fight while there was still a chance of him landing a bomb.

MMA corners are fucking terrible at protecting their fighters.

Even Wilder's dysfunctional corner threw in the towel when they were supposed to.

You can't blame the ref when the fighter is still intelligently defending himself and throwing back. That's on the corner

Yeah it was completely one sided but Kattar was still throwing power late. It's wasn't like Smith-Glover. It's not like he was getting his ass beat on the ground. Sherdog's getting soft.

No reason his corner should've sent him out in round 5. He was clearly outclassed and that fight was brutal. Max took 3 years off his life

Look how much respect Kattar has earned by showing such heart. I'm sure he'd be fuming if his corner stopped the fight while there was still a chance of him landing a bomb.
4 rounds of that wasn't enough to show his heart?

No, that's the ref's job, which he didn't do well tonight.

Very difficult to say, he was still landing shots, you never know if Max can even injure himself.

Kattar could have turtled up easily if he needed

They should have, but I get the rationale on not if this is something they talked about before the fight.

Realistically this could be the high-water mark of Kattar's career. He is not getting younger, and he is on national TV and a win gets him the title shot. And he has other fights where hes been hurt and come back. Like, I get it.

It seemed really unlikely that he'd be able KO Max, but I get it.

Back